2024 Season

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
What do you know about Brett Thomas from Atlanta who was a top flight pitcher prospect now at South Carolina? Has had arm fatigue. Was in the amateur draft four years ago.

Last edited:

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I think this is the Attendance Thread...

Had to pull into Excel to get Attendance/Game. Some seriously impressive numbers....

1688395226433.png

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this is the Attendance Thread...

Had to pull into Excel to get Attendance/Game. Some seriously impressive numbers....

View attachment 14464

Man I wish we could get back up to the 3,000 or so mark. I truly think there is too much local competition for the entertainment dollar for it to go much higher than that, but we should be able to get back to 3,000 IMO.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Man I wish we could get back up to the 3,000 or so mark. I truly think there is too much local competition for the entertainment dollar for it to go much higher than that, but we should be able to get back to 3,000 IMO.
Our baseball team averaged 3k per game? What year was that?

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Our baseball team averaged 3k per game? What year was that?
Yeah, maybe a fish story involved here a little. I don't have any hard data, but I can remember back around 2008 when I had to worry about sellouts for the big games.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, maybe a fish story involved here a little. I don't have any hard data, but I can remember back around 2008 when I had to worry about sellouts for the big games.
I found data going back to 2002 on ramblinwreck.com Based on that, our highest average was ~2,100/game in 2003. Most seasons in that time period the average was ~2,000 +/- 200. Not 3,000 but much better than what we get now. So, I'll amend my post to say I wish we could get back to averaging 2,100/game. Baby steps!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Parking on campus is the absolute worst. Need to get more students coming to the games.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Parking on campus is the absolute worst. Need to get more students coming to the games.
Well, given our current attendance, I have never had an issue with parking for a baseball game. Usually park in the pay per hour lot behind/beside the physics building. I guess on a weekend with spring football and a softball game (or during graduation) would be tough .... otherwise, that hasn't been my experience.

OTOH, totally agree we need to get more students to the game. Should offer free food!!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have not been to a game since I graduated. Do they do any sort of "fun" things or give aways between innings. I go to Durham Bulls games up here and there is always some sort of entertainment going on between innings. Can we get local little league team to the games? I realize the season doesn't line up well but April May may work.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I was in town this year for a weekend series and had a car for the first time in a decade. Parked across from the stadium for $5. Cheap and convenient. Walk up, get tickets, sit damn near anywhere you want.

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
I just graduated from Tech and let me tell you the by far #1 reason why not as many students show up to the game is because Athletics doesn't let people bring their bags in. The amount of times me and my friends have opted to not go to a baseball game because we had to do work/had to be somewhere else afterwards is significant. In contrast, for something like softball and tennis, I would show up way more because I could bring my backpack to do work there or if I had a meeting afterwards, I could go directly to the meeting.

Letting students casually watch instead of essentially requiring students to stay the entire time would boost attendance significantly.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Too many home games played in the winter (literally) negativity impacts average attendance.

It's not a major factor but our "average" attendance is higher for games where the "conditions" are such that normal (ie sane) people would consider going.

I agree here. A 45 degree and windy March game is just not the most enjoyable.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I just graduated from Tech and let me tell you the by far #1 reason why not as many students show up to the game is because Athletics doesn't let people bring their bags in. The amount of times me and my friends have opted to not go to a baseball game because we had to do work/had to be somewhere else afterwards is significant. In contrast, for something like softball and tennis, I would show up way more because I could bring my backpack to do work there or if I had a meeting afterwards, I could go directly to the meeting.

Letting students casually watch instead of essentially requiring students to stay the entire time would boost attendance significantly.
Didn't realize this is the case. I agree it would be an issue. My time as a student was before laptops, but I would often take my backpack loaded with a textbook or two and do some studying if the game got a little slow.