2024 Season

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Has anybody seen anything on summer ball yet? I'm curious to know where our guys went.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
beesball.com/wordpress/?p=1…
Thanks! I looked at beesball before but missed that. I'm glad to see Stanford playing, and I also like that we sent 3 pitchers to the Cape. Minnick and Brosius going to the Northwoods league is exciting too.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

News like this just makes me sad for college sports. The best teams just buy the best players who stand out at “smaller” schools. A program that worked to identify and sign a player who got passed on by bigger programs is punished after he turns into a star. What’s even the point anymore? I don’t blame the players for chasing the money, but there has to be some more regulations on this. This era of uncontrolled “free agency” has really made it hard for me to even care about college sports anymore. NCAA sports are the only ones in the world actively sabotaging their parity by removing all rules regarding player movement. Every other sports league in the world is trying to expand, while the NCAA is contracting.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

News like this just makes me sad for college sports. The best teams just buy the best players who stand out at “smaller” schools. A program that worked to identify and sign a player who got passed on by bigger programs is punished after he turns into a star. What’s even the point anymore? I don’t blame the players for chasing the money, but there has to be some more regulations on this. This era of uncontrolled “free agency” has really made it hard for me to even care about college sports anymore. NCAA sports are the only ones in the world actively sabotaging their parity by removing all rules regarding player movement. Every other sports league in the world is trying to expand, while the NCAA is contracting.

A few days ago... I "think" I saw a tweet stating 1 in 5 D1 Baseball players are in the portal. [Disclaimer: Going on old man memory/context ONLY]

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Maybe schools and donors will pay more attention to their baseball players and treat their players better. Most players and their parents pay to go to school and pay to spend their days practicing, training, traveling and playing. They dedicate themselves to their coaches and program. Years and years of over recruiting and misrepresentations made by coaches and recruiters while the head coach makes a lot of money. For those of us who have been through the entire process with our own kids and their teammates through the years, I see it as the playing starting to level out a bit. Just some perspective. Baseball is a microcosm of life…..sometimes it’s just not fair, the hardest worker doesn’t always succeed and the best team doesn‘t always win.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

I feel ya. Maybe it's time for college sports to implement a "salary cap" to help level the playing field. It has helped pro sports and isn't that basically where college sports is heading these days.