2024 Football Portal

slugboy

Staff member
The football portal opens April 16, and basically lasts until kickoff in the fall.

If you want a happy overview of the portal, don’t read the article. There are haves and have-nots; both schools and players

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The football portal opens April 16, and basically lasts until kickoff in the fall.

If you want a happy overview of the portal, don’t read the article. There are haves and have-nots; both schools and players

Hard to argue with this coach's logic: “But there’s no such thing as cheating anymore. There are no rules.”

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had a somewhat related random thought...over the years I have seen some of my formerly married friends and coworkers enter into the adult relationship equivalent of the transfer portal. Just like in football, not all of them ended up in better place. In fact, most (in my experience) didn't.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The players didn’t creat the problem. That lays at the feet of the adults.
Yes and, so far the,y don't appear to be up for fixing it. When I think of this it reminds me of Griqua's Prayer: ":Oh, Lord, our situation is dire. Please come and help us. But don't send your Son as this is not a time for children."

Jan Smuts usually gets the blame for this.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The portal giveth and the portal taketh away! No use worrying about it. What will be will be. Have the checkbook ready.
One theme I hear in a lot of interviews of coaches is that we’re bringing in the right people. The right people make decisions for the right reasons. I think this will go along way to creating stability in the program.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
One theme I hear in a lot of interviews of coaches is that we’re bringing in the right people. The right people make decisions for the right reasons. I think this will go along way to creating stability in the program.
What coach has ever said we are bringing in the wrong people? The unemployed coach. WE have as many transfers as most ACC teams.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
What coach has ever said we are bringing in the wrong people? The unemployed coach. WE have as many transfers as most ACC teams.
Not sure I understand what the quantity has to do with the quality? Not trying to be snarky (it just comes naturally, no effort required, HAH HAH).
To me the implication is pretty clear that our formerly unemployed but now employed wearing baby coach blue made poor choices in WHO we were bringing in not necessarily how many. I seem to recall some discussion around there having been some disagreements between our current HC and our former HC specifically on the types of players we should be bringing in. The sample size is pretty small right now but it appears that, at least on offense, the evidence suggests we're doing a better job of identifying the who. Hopefully we continue to see that proven out on the field and even more hopefully that we get better at that on defense, too.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I understand what the quantity has to do with the quality? Not trying to be snarky (it just comes naturally, no effort required, HAH HAH).
To me the implication is pretty clear that our formerly unemployed but now employed wearing baby coach blue made poor choices in WHO we were bringing in not necessarily how many. I seem to recall some discussion around there having been some disagreements between our current HC and our former HC specifically on the types of players we should be bringing in. The sample size is pretty small right now but it appears that, at least on offense, the evidence suggests we're doing a better job of identifying the who. Hopefully we continue to see that proven out on the field and even more hopefully that we get better at that on defense, too.
That could be the implication. But as I said what coach ever says he is bringing in the wrong kind of guys? The unemployed coach. I take it as a lot of coach speak. Not a lot different than we want toughness. What coach says they want softness. These are coach speak words said by 90% of all head coaches. Add in we want smart disciplined players as well. The phrases do resonate with fans!

Are you implying the guys transferring out were the wrong kind of guys? I assume not!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
That could be the implication. But as I said what coach ever says he is bringing in the wrong kind of guys? The unemployed coach. I take it as a lot of coach speak. Not a lot different than we want toughness. What coach says they want softness. These are coach speak words said by 90% of all head coaches. Add in we want smart disciplined players as well. The phrases do resonate with fans!

Are you implying the guys transferring out were the wrong kind of guys? I assume not!
What I’m saying is that we seem to be doing a better job of bringing in guys who can help us win. I’m not implying anything. I don’t really care whether a coach says we are bringing in the right kind of guys. I think we agree that’s coachspeak. I’m saying the results on the field indicate to me, specifically on offense, that we did a pretty solid job of identifying which guys on the team currently can help and what positions we needed to add kids in the portal and in recruiting.

Guys transfer out for many reasons and I’m quite sure some of the ones who’ve left are players who could have helped us win. So you assumed correctly that I am absolutely not implying everyone leaving are the wrong kind of guys.

What we have yet to see is whether we get similar improvements on defense with the change in coaching and some new players and some players who were here already who fit what the new coaches want to do. And then how do the transfer we get this year help move the needle in the right direction on defense.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Yes we are improving our HS and Portal recruiting coupled with better coaches we are winning more.
:ROFLMAO:
I get what your are implying, however, many on the GT boards are making this out like it’s something special the we are getting the right kind of guy because the coaches said that.

It’s all good. The hyperbole is a bit much for me, not from the coaches but from the GT Boards.
Oh I gotcha. You’re saying the rationale some are using is just that the coaches are saying “we got the right guys now.” Yeah I agree with you that all coaches say that and it’s not at all what I base my conclusions on either. :cool:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
What I’m saying is that we seem to be doing a better job of bringing in guys who can help us win. I’m not implying anything. I don’t really care whether a coach says we are bringing in the right kind of guys. I think we agree that’s coachspeak. I’m saying the results on the field indicate to me, specifically on offense, that we did a pretty solid job of identifying which guys on the team currently can help and what positions we needed to add kids in the portal and in recruiting.
No, no, no…. You have to use a metric, an algorithm, to determine this. Watching the team and compiling results cannot be used. Ha!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I will be able to put this together and get across my point but here goes. I think there is a "it's all about me" type kid that maybe has great athletic skills that we would shy away from and a kid that gets it that it is more important to get what our culture, academics and other things mean and that money is necessary but not the most important thing and to get in a winning culture with all the other things we provide is more important than just me, me, me and how much money you going to give me. Not sure I've covered it all, but something built around that seems to me to be what we're looking for and yes a kid that also has skills that can help us win at the highest level. That takes a lot of hard looking at kids over time. One bad apple can mess it up and they need to move on IMO. When you have coaches that are trying to help the kids that also know how to instill the winning mind set and attitude all goes into the formula. Thus some of what CBK has to be very thoughtful in arriving at his decisions for both players and coaches. Being open to his coaches telling him like they see it obviously very important. His job is a heavy load IMO. He had to learn a lot of this from the all time greatest IMO and also from his mentor GOL.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Not sure where else to put this but Gavin Stewart to enter portal. He’s already got his bachelor’s in business and apparently a master’s as well.
He and his brother are Yellow Jackets forever. Wish him success in whatever he chooses to do in life.