2023 predictions part 2: POST SPRING GAME

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Now that we've gotten a look at our squad... let's make some record predictions once again. Have yours changed or do they stay the same?
I still have us at 6-6.

LOUISVILLE- W
SC STATE- W
OLE MISS- L
WAKE FOREST- L
BOWLING GREEN- W
MIAMI- L
BOSTON COLLEGE- W
NORTH CAROLINA- L
VIRGINIA- W
CLEMSON- L
SYRACUSE- W
GEORGIA- L

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There are always surprises - you win some you thought you'd lose and vice-versa. But last year under Key, the Jackets went 4-4 against this schedule:

Pitt
Duke
Virginia
FSU
Virginia Tech
Miami
UNC
Ugag

Measured against that, I figure a full off season under their belts with the improved coaching staff the Jackets should hit the ground running and win at least 7 out of 12. I'm going with 8-4.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel pretty safe in my prediction pre-spring practice. Something I've learned through the years is to not get too hyped or too dismayed at what I see in the spring game. CBF said he only installed about 30% of the offense, and CBK said he asked the defensive staff to swallow their pride and make it a show for the fans. The defense only had 4 calls all night so obviously there is a lot schematically that we haven't been shown yet. All in all, nobody was seriously injured in the game which is the biggest victory we could ask for.

One thing I did notice is that CBK wasn't being cautious with the guys in the game. What I mean by that is, usually in a spring game, if a guy has even a small amount of pain or discomfort, he's pulled as a precaution because nobody wants to lose a player because of the spring game. However, CBK didn't sit guys who got popped or took a while to get up after a play. I think this goes back to his mantra of instilling toughness in these guys. Really interesting to see and I hope the players buy into it.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
LOUISVILLE- L
SC STATE- W
OLE MISS- L
WAKE FOREST- W
BOWLING GREEN- W
MIAMI- L
BOSTON COLLEGE- W
NORTH CAROLINA- L
VIRGINIA- W
CLEMSON- L
SYRACUSE- W
GEORGIA- L

6-6, if we stay healthy.

spring game impressions: QBs were late with passes in the spring game giving defenders time to recover by locking in on a guy who's wide open for a full second before throwing. WRs still are letting the ball come into their body to make catches which gives defenders an opportunity to make a play. Defensively, we look worse on DL to me (possibly we're way better on OL). LBs were chasing rather than dictating. I saw at least some positive gains along OL and I think the RBs and TEs were slightly better than I expected.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am expecting 7-5. Will be disappointed if less than 6-6. Happy if 8-4 (or better). As always, predicting whom we beat and lose to is a futile (if fun) exercise as we always blow a game or two we should win and upset a team or two we should lose to.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
At this point I am not hung up on the win-loss record (except the minimum for a Bowl) but am gratified to see real football at GT for a change. How we play and how we improve is the thing I am most comfortable with. I want the team to give a real fight, play competitive and consistent ball, and put the fear of playing us in our opponent. Key is covering the bases and seems to have the right plans in place to get us back to GT football, and that does not include conceding losses before the games are played.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
There’s just no reason we lose to Wake Forrest. It will be a completely different team with the amount of production they’re losing on both sides. Comfortable defensive win in my book with everyone healthy
I think we CAN beat them but I think it'll be like last years UVA game where we just don't have it. Idk why just a gut feeling I have.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Now that we've gotten a look at our squad... let's make some record predictions once again. Have yours changed or do they stay the same?
I still have us at 6-6.

LOUISVILLE- W
SC STATE- W
OLE MISS- L
WAKE FOREST- L
BOWLING GREEN- W
MIAMI- L
BOSTON COLLEGE- W
NORTH CAROLINA- L
VIRGINIA- W
CLEMSON- L
SYRACUSE- W
GEORGIA- L
I don't know about most but my gut tells me to flip UNCheat and the Hoos. C-ville tends to be a nightmare for us for whatever reason and it seems like even with the worst coach in our history we have UNCheat's number.
I'll take 6-6 overall, with a possibility of hitting 8 if things go well.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I predict 6-6. This is year one for the new staff. Key got a head start last year. But there's been so much change and things that need implementation. It'll be a transition year.

But I believe one thing very strongly: We're going to see our team play good football. There are fundamental things any team at any level should be able to do, play to the whistle, block and tackle with proper form and effort, make field goals inside of 35 yards, not turn the ball over, not commit stupid penalties. Teams that just do those simple things win most of the games they should. Teams that don't, beat themselves before the opponent even has to. We saw way too much of that the last few years.

Coach Key is a ball coach. We saw positive changes start after he took over last year. I predict he'll build fundamentally sound teams that will play good football. Remains to be seen if he and his staff are capable of elevating a team to compete in games against the best. But I like what I've seen so far. I feel much more optimistic than I have in a long time.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know about most but my gut tells me to flip UNCheat and the Hoos. C-ville tends to be a nightmare for us for whatever reason and it seems like even with the worst coach in our history we have UNCheat's number.
I'll take 6-6 overall, with a possibility of hitting 8 if things go well.

Too true on the house of horrors that is GT at Charlottesville. I think we're still paying off some sort of cosmic energy that got us the win there in 1990. Hopefully that debt will be paid soon. Maybe the past 3-4 years will count as double in our "payments" in service of that one glorious win?

JacketFan137

Banned
There’s just no reason we lose to Wake Forrest. It will be a completely different team with the amount of production they’re losing on both sides. Comfortable defensive win in my book with everyone healthy
people here typically think higher of wake’s program than most. i agree with you. hartman was a very good college qb and that is production that will not be easily replaced

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Too true on the house of horrors that is GT at Charlottesville. I think we're still paying off some sort of cosmic energy that got us the win there in 1990. Hopefully that debt will be paid soon. Maybe the past 3-4 years will count as double in our "payments" in service of that one glorious win?
I worry about that also, but they are potentially the worst team in the ACC next season imo

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
crazy macho man randy savage GIF

15-0!! Go Jackets!