2023 Holiday Break - GT in the Diamond Head Classic

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We are the most Jekyll and Hyde team. One minute we look like we can run with any team in the country, the next minute we like like a slap stick rec ball team. Lose to UMass - Lowell, beat ranked Miss state and Duke.

Hopefully, the team gets more consistent...and by consistent, I mean the team that can run with anyone in the country.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We are the most Jekyll and Hyde team. One minute we look like we can run with any team in the country, the next minute we like like a slap stick rec ball team. Lose to UMass - Lowell, beat ranked Miss state and Duke.

Hopefully, the team gets more consistent...and by consistent, I mean the team that can run with anyone in the country.
If we eliminate our worst impulses and trade those for average I’ll take that along with our magnificent, brilliant upsides.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Hawaii held the lead for 16 seconds the entire game. Even when we were not scoring I never felt like we would lose that game.

The offense stagnated during the dry stretch. There was no movement off the ball. It was the second game in two days and the team just looked gassed to me during that stretch. Kowacie did not have his normal energy, Sturdivant was slower, and a lot of shots were clanking off the front rim. I think the team lost their legs in the middle of the second half. Then, when Hawaii started to fatigue also, we just gutted it out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Stoudamire's use of a deep bench will help with this tourament.

Nevada has 5 guys that play 30+ minutes, and another 5 guys that play around 10-15 minutes.

This tournament is definitely a war of attrition. Looking at Nevada's schedule, I'm not sure I'm impressed by the teams they've beaten, but give them credit. Nevada handles their business. They've beaten the teams they played by a healthy margin.

From a talent standpoint, GT has the upper hand. In terms of playing well together, and playing well for 40 minutes...well, as a GT fan, you have to be nervous.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1703344593734.png

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This was another really good win. It will go down as a neutral site win, but make no mistake, that was a home game for Hawaii and their crowd was into it, pressing them on in the second half.

We did get tired, and that made a difference. We also starting settling for 3-pointers and missed 6 or 7 in a row (4 straight possessions of missed threes). Ndongo and Kelly absolutely took over in the end. Ndongo played like a man-beast and he is perhaps our best player right now. Reeves also had a few “I refuse to lose” moments. Great win—let’s go get a trophy, Go Jackets and Merry Christmas!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
BTW, this has popped into my head more than once watching our coach on the sidelines, when he is stressing over the proceedings and wearing that on his face, he rocks and todders, he reminds me of ...

!
WATCH: Redd Foxx's Story Comes to Life in Upcoming Doc - Colorlines's Story Comes to Life in Upcoming Doc - Colorlines

Redd Foxx!

He really does remind me of ol' Redd. Good call.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
They also did a much better job of taking care of the ball, even during the Hawaii’s defensive adjustment and Tech’s scoring drought. 9 turnovers for the entire game. Bad fouls compounded their second half slide. Too many free points with clock stopped. They kept from fouling in the last few minutes v UMass and that helped them win Thursday. Ndongo played another great game. Can’t fault him and don’t think CDS wants to harness his exuberance but great lesson for him to take a bit more care in making contact with shooters under the hoop, especially at the end of tight games

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of coaching demeanor, Stoudamire isn’t quite as chill as John Wooden was at UCLA, but he’s pretty close. Both have that approach of “we’ve covered all of this in practice, and other than a few teachable moments, most things are out of my control at game time so I will just study what players are doing during the game and plan from there.”

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
He and Gapare and Reeves and Ndongo are all very athletic. I think Souare will be as well. If he can just avoid fouling 3pt shooters.... :) You can see in the following clip how effortless it is for him. I think he will be very good as well.

BTW, this has popped into my head more than once watching our coach on the sidelines, when he is stressing over the proceedings and wearing that on his face, he rocks and todders, he reminds me of ...

!
WATCH: Redd Foxx's Story Comes to Life in Upcoming Doc - Colorlines's Story Comes to Life in Upcoming Doc - Colorlines

Redd Foxx!
Me too, but thought no one else would see that.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of coaching demeanor, Stoudamire isn’t quite as chill as John Wooden was at UCLA, but he’s pretty close. Both have that approach of “we’ve covered all of this in practice, and other than a few teachable moments, most things are out of my control at game time so I will just study what players are doing during the game and plan from there.”
There was a play towards the end of the game with a minute or two left where he said a LOT from the sideline before things got moving and I was really curious what he saw and said there since it seemed like such an aberration

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I finally got a chance to see the replay. **YouTube TV is wonderful**

Random thoughts:

Against Duke we had 19 assists on 27 made FGs. For the UMass game it was 7 on 25 FGs and against Hawaii it was 11 on 29 FGs. We're not running our offense in the same way or the defense is taking away our first and second options. More to the point, we seem to be dribbling around more than we did earlier and not starting our offense.

We are pounding the boards. We out-rebounded UMass 42-33 and Hawaii 46-28. We are not bigger than either of those teams (Josh Cohen is almost 7 feet) and both Hawaii starting forwards are about 6-9.

Last night we almost had an ironman five our starters all logged 29 minutes or more. Dowuona did not play. I wonder if his starting role is permanently gone or it was simply a matchup decision.

George and Ndongo don't play like freshmen.

We need to be smarter about handling situations, especially the press.