2023 Holiday Break - GT in the Diamond Head Classic

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is it just me, or does Sacko's atheleticism just jump off the screen? He's got elite athleticism...when his offensive game grows and he gets comfortable in the system, he's going to be a VERY good player.

Has good defensive instincts too. Seems to be adjusting more to the whistle too. He's gonna be a good one.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
If you watched him last night he was not nearly as stoned faced as he has been in prior games. No outbursts like Martin but his face had at least as much expression as Martin otherwise. Me thinks he was having the same reaction to the number of turnovers as the rest of us were. :cool:
Was travelling to Tampa. By the time we got settled in and found a place that would put the game on we were pretty well lit. I remember a bunch of swearing, a made a comment that if it got worse than down 11 we were toast. Then there was much joy when they took 2 pts off the board on the BS goaltending. Lastly, we were feeling real good up by 4 but in typical GT fashion we gave them a chance on that last shot. Woke up knowing it had been a while since I drank that much. Gonna tear this place up tonight again, then stumble home tomorrow. Wish the next game was a wee bit earlier than 11, but IIWII.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
If you watched him last night he was not nearly as stoned faced as he has been in prior games. No outbursts like Martin but his face had at least as much expression as Martin otherwise. Me thinks he was having the same reaction to the number of turnovers as the rest of us were. :cool:
That expression suggested disgust, exasperation and acid reflux.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
That was a difficult game to watch. Careless passing early in games is becoming a pattern that needs to be broken.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me, or does Sacko's atheleticism just jump off the screen? He's got elite athleticism...when his offensive game grows and he gets comfortable in the system, he's going to be a VERY good player.
He needs to learn not to foul. His fouls/minute are off the charts! 17 Fouls in around 110 minutes. Yikes!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Post game with Wylie

"Ndongo is going to be one of the best defenders in college basketball by the end of the season."

Wow high complement.

Loves Wiley's interviews too.

Who's staying up to watch tonights game?

I'll get up to watch the end. Starts at 5 am local (Prague). I think we are likely to have a hard time in the second half given the time change and how acclimated Hawaii is to it. But we'll give them he'll I hope.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
"Ndongo is going to be one of the best defenders in college basketball by the end of the season."

Wow high complement.

Loves Wiley's interviews too.

I'll get up to watch the end. Starts at 5 am local (Prague). I think we are likely to have a hard time in the second half given the time change and how acclimated Hawaii is to it. But we'll give them he'll I hope.
Having a deep bench should help. Ndongo played 30 minutes. No one else played more than 27 minutes. Six players played between 21 and 27 minutes.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Skinny shooter for his entire life and then puts on more muscle than he ever has in the past six months. Lost his touch and he was a line-drive shooter anyway.
I don't think this is the case. I think teams are particularly scheming to minimize open looks for Kelly and it's affecting is ability to get into a rhythm. We saw that specifically with several of our recent games. They're jumping out to shut Miles down. It is opening up opportunities for other players. He's a good player, so I anticipate he'll adjust and begin to find his shot again.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Ordinarily one would think that many turnovers means a lack of discipline.

But I don’t think that’s it. The emphasis seems to be on playing with speed but a couple of things may be going on. Their mental reaction times are a step slow at times compared to their physical effort. And this may simply be a feature of still learning how to play together at pace with all the different court combinations of players. Some moments they look like a formidable athletic team and other times it looks like sloppy street ball.

I’m loving this team and still don’t think they’ve reached their potential.
This is what I was saying earlier. They are playing tough and aggressive and are fun to watch, and we’ve got some really good basketball players. We’ve got multiple guys that can step up and put a game on their back. And I really think we have a coach that knows what’s he’s doing - from experience. These are 10-12 guys that never played together until this year; once they learn more how to play together the team could be really good.

BTW, Kowacie is great, I really like watching him play. I love how he attacks the rim. He was out of control a few times, but he really puts pressure on defenses.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
No worries. Prague, Oklahoma is Central Time 😁

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
9.7 turnovers per game makes you a top 20 team in fewest turnovers per game. That is a bridge too far this year. Getting to about 12 / game would be good. WE average 14 per game now which is 294 out of 351. Getting to 12 would put us around 150 out of 351. Surprising how bunched turnovers per team are.
If it’s that bunched it’s not determinative.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’m almost wondering if we redshirt him this season. Then he takes over the Sturdivant role next season. I just don’t know if we have time to wait for him to find his role/groove when we enter ACC play. And I don’t necessarily want Terry taking minutes from George or Sturdivant right now.
Officially redshirted per Kelly Quinlan. Nice call. Sucks but we will be okay.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
It should also give Terry a chance to finish up his PhD degree :giggle:

I wonder how the roster will shake out to get to 13?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Wow, every game it seems somebody steps up big.The FTs game won it for us.
iWith good rebing and decent shooting (even with TOs), we are real threat.Kelly really is in a shooting slump .If he breaks out lookout.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I didn't realize he had room to redshirt. Since he does then go for it. As said above hope he gets a PhD out of it. ;)