2023 Holiday Break - GT in the Diamond Head Classic

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man, I am hoping we can learn to take care of the ball better. If we can limit our turnovers to about 10 per game we will be a tough out. Miles can't continue to shoot this poorly, can he? I am amazed at how bad he has shot the ball. Some of those misses aren't close. Wonder if it's starting to get in his head. He is also not shooting fts anywhere near his percentage from last year. Just really strange.
I am extremely excited about the development of our young players. George, Ndongo, Sacko, Gapare are a strong core moving forward. George's confidence is growing with each game. It is great to see his shot starting to fall these last few games.

Is it just me, or does Sacko's atheleticism just jump off the screen? He's got elite athleticism...when his offensive game grows and he gets comfortable in the system, he's going to be a VERY good player.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it just me, or does Sacko's atheleticism just jump off the screen? He's got elite athleticism...when his offensive game grows and he gets comfortable in the system, he's going to be a VERY good player.
Yes. We have a number of really good athletes. Not yet reached their potential. We should get better as the season progresses.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know if I can handle many more games like that. I am worn out just from watching in my chair LOL. I go from wanting to throw my remote because of the weak, lazy passes we make to jumping up and down because of a big steal and finish.

CDS really sticks with the guys/lineup that are producing that individual game.
We’ve gone from last year’s miserable games where we’d slowly bleed out on most nights back to the good old GT style heart attack games. I’ll take it because I’m not sure how much more we could expect at this point.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Man, I am hoping we can learn to take care of the ball better. If we can limit our turnovers to about 10 per game we will be a tough out. Miles can't continue to shoot this poorly, can he? I am amazed at how bad he has shot the ball. Some of those misses aren't close. Wonder if it's starting to get in his head. He is also not shooting fts anywhere near his percentage from last year. Just really strange.
I am extremely excited about the development of our young players. George, Ndongo, Sacko, Gapare are a strong core moving forward. George's confidence is growing with each game. It is great to see his shot starting to fall these last few games.
9.7 turnovers per game makes you a top 20 team in fewest turnovers per game. That is a bridge too far this year. Getting to about 12 / game would be good. WE average 14 per game now which is 294 out of 351. Getting to 12 would put us around 150 out of 351. Surprising how bunched turnovers per team are.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
9.7 turnovers per game makes you a top 20 team in fewest turnovers per game. That is a bridge too far this year. Getting to about 12 / game would be good. WE average 14 per game now which is 294 out of 351. Getting to 12 would put us around 150 out of 351. Surprising how bunched turnovers per team are.
Once, if?, the rotations settle out, I would expect some improvement. I don't know that I've watched a team turn the ball over 20+ times and win. We definitely need to improve. 12/game would be much better.

slugboy

Staff member
Still KenPom 121. 120 Sagarin.
ACC is sixth in the P6 in Sagarin. It’s also December.

If I were an outsider, I’d think the ACC would have 5 tournament teams, maybe even 4, and that GT wouldn’t be one of them.

But…there are signs of life.

Edit: wait! We lost to UMass-Lowell, but beat UMass. It’s just December, and man do we have a strange record

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Tonight at 11 EST for those that missed that information earlier.
1000003811.png

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Still KenPom 121. 120 Sagarin.
ACC is sixth in the P6 in Sagarin. It’s also December.

If I were an outsider, I’d think the ACC would have 5 tournament teams, maybe even 4, and that GT wouldn’t be one of them.

But…there are signs of life.

Edit: wait! We lost to UMass-Lowell, but beat UMass. It’s just December, and man do we have a strange record
And UMass beat UMass-Lowell earlier this year. So we’re improving!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I agree completely, but coaches can be very stubborn.
They often fall in love with their idea or player and refuse to change despite all the evidence to the contrary. Very interesting watching Stoudamire, he's so stonefaced on the sideline but inside that head the gears must be turning at an amazing rate.

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
He and Gapare and Reeves and Ndongo are all very athletic. I think Souare will be as well. If he can just avoid fouling 3pt shooters.... :) You can see in the following clip how effortless it is for him. I think he will be very good as well.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The big question for me is, "What happened to Kelly's shooting?" His form looks good and he is taking good shots. They are simply not going in. Some not close.
Skinny shooter for his entire life and then puts on more muscle than he ever has in the past six months. Lost his touch and he was a line-drive shooter anyway.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The Sturdivant we saw against UMass is the guy that ended the 2nd half of the last season. Confident with the ball in his hands, and creating his shots. That's the guy I thought we'd see this year.

His pull-up jumper last night was MONEY.
And fortunately, we don’t need him to be a true PG in his role off the bench. Let’s just call it what it is — he’s a combo guard who doesn’t get us into our offense and dribbles the air out of the ball, even when it ends up with a successful mid range pull up with 5 seconds on the shot clock.

That being said, a score first/pass second ball dominant guard is exactly what we need coming off the bench this season. He can play his role without it hindering everyone else (hopefully).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
They often fall in love with their idea or player and refuse to change despite all the evidence to the contrary. Very interesting watching Stoudamire, he's so stonefaced on the sideline but inside that head the gears must be turning at an amazing rate.
If you watched him last night he was not nearly as stoned faced as he has been in prior games. No outbursts like Martin but his face had at least as much expression as Martin otherwise. Me thinks he was having the same reaction to the number of turnovers as the rest of us were. :cool: