2023 Holiday Break - GT in the Diamond Head Classic

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ordinarily one would think that many turnovers means a lack of discipline.

But I don’t think that’s it. The emphasis seems to be on playing with speed but a couple of things may be going on. Their mental reaction times are a step slow at times compared to their physical effort. And this may simply be a feature of still learning how to play together at pace with all the different court combinations of players. Some moments they look like a formidable athletic team and other times it looks like sloppy street ball.

I’m loving this team and still don’t think they’ve reached their potential.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the things I have found to be interesting is that we have had a wide variety of contributors, with six different leading scorers. Kelly, of course, has had a rough shooting stretch for us, but it is nice different guys are stepping up in that void and filling it up.

Georgia Southern - Kelly (25)
Howard - Kelly (27)
UM Lowell - Coleman (24)
Cincinnati - Reeves (14)
Mississippi St. - Kelly (22)
Duke - Ndongo (21)
Georgia - Kelly/Reeves (12)
Alabama A&M - Reeves (20)
Penn St. - Gapare (20)
UMass - Sturdivant (21)

We've needed those big games from Ndongo, Reeves, Coleman, Gapare, and Sturdivant. CDS will ride with the hot hand, for sure.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Right now our best player is Reeves.

Young man is playing really well on both ends of the floor.

Christmas Friends GIF by hoppip

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
NET rankings of Diamond Head teams

Nevada 43
Temple 146
Nevada 39
TCU 46
TCU 46
Old Dominion 246

GT 160
UMass 89
GT 140
Hawaii 112
Portland 260
Hawaii 124

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
With 5 minutes to go down double digits, I felt we were dead. UMass's defense was pretty much stuffing us, especially early in each half. Deebo helped us in the first half and Kyle really showed some sweet shooting in the second half. We looked better in transition (certainly Ndongo did) as I don't know if we ever really figured out UMass's half court defense.

We outscored them by 10 from the FT line and they shot under 50% from the stripe.

Lots of teams can win when they are hot, but good teams win when they are not playing their best. We showed more composure and clutch playmaking than UMass did. That was a good win.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, I am hoping we can learn to take care of the ball better. If we can limit our turnovers to about 10 per game we will be a tough out. Miles can't continue to shoot this poorly, can he? I am amazed at how bad he has shot the ball. Some of those misses aren't close. Wonder if it's starting to get in his head. He is also not shooting fts anywhere near his percentage from last year. Just really strange.
I am extremely excited about the development of our young players. George, Ndongo, Sacko, Gapare are a strong core moving forward. George's confidence is growing with each game. It is great to see his shot starting to fall these last few games.