2023 Ga. Tech Football Depth Chart

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Love Pylon Pyron but also relieved it's King to be honest. We for the most part know what we're getting with Pyron. Feels like our expectations/hopes ceiling is a little higher with the unknown King.

Edit: It also gives me a jolt of confidence in the OL that we're going with a pocket passer rather than Pyron who likes to run. Surely Key would put a playmaker QB in if they were constantly getting flushed out of the pocket, right?

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wow, was NOT expecting that. Not that I’m upset by any means, was just expecting Pyron.

I thought Pyron showed a LOT last season. I was definitely "team Pyron" for our starting QB given what he did for us last season. If you look at the positive, King must have REALLY played well during camp for Key and Faulkner to make this decision. Iron sharpens iron...

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Love Pylon Pyron but also relieved it's King to be honest. We for the most part know what we're getting with Pyron. Feels like our expectations/hopes ceiling is a little higher with the unknown King.

Edit: It also gives me a jolt of confidence in the OL that we're going with a pocket passer rather than Pyron who likes to run. Surely Key would put a playmaker QB in if they were constantly getting flushed out of the pocket, right?

Eh, not sure you can say that about Pyron. He was a true freshman with a lot of room to grow last year.

With whoever became the starter, we knew the backup was going to be very good in case something happens

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I hope King over Pyron is because King undoubtedly outplayed Pyron in camp, and not because Pyron is still having some lingering issues from his injury last year. I thought it was definitely Pyron’s job to lose going into camp, so if King got the job I’m expecting pretty big things out of him. I definitely hope it doesn’t turn into a situation where we’re changing QBs every week or flipping them between drives every game trying to see who is better.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I hope King over Pyron is because King undoubtedly outplayed Pyron in camp, and not because Pyron is still having some lingering issues from his injury last year. I thought it was definitely Pyron’s job to lose going into camp, so if King got the job I’m expecting pretty big things out of him. I definitely hope it doesn’t turn into a situation where we’re changing QBs every week or flipping them between drives every game trying to see who is better.

I’d be fairly stunned if we did that. Feels like Key saw coach WaHo do that for what probably felt like a lifetime.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A possible advantage = King's dad is hs football coach. They passed way to big school state champ over d1 loaded team.

Both he and pyron seem to read defense better than Sims and don't throw knuckle ball short and mid range passes.

Both have had injuries.

In practice Pyron will have plenty of oppoerunity to shine.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’d be fairly stunned if we did that. Feels like Key saw coach WaHo do that for what probably felt like a lifetime.
Agree. TFG had a shock collar on Zach Gibson for every time he threw an INT in practice. Key is too smart of a coach to force his QBs to play with their tail between their legs like TFG did.

"Haynes King is the starter. Make no bones about it. That is why we made the decision. I'm not putting him on a short leash. I don't want the starting quarterback to go out there and feel like if he makes one mistake he is going to get yanked. That is not the world we are living in."

Love this from CBK.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the main question on King is how long he survives. He has had injury issues in the past and that may be one reason the coaches want him to stick in the pocket. I thought Pyron would win out on this, but I'm not really surprised. King was a starter at A&M and did pretty well. Pyron started last year and did pretty well. Now we';ll have to see who we actually end up with.

Oh, the suspense!