2023 Ga. Tech Football Depth Chart

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I think the main question on King is how long he survives. He has had injury issues in the past and that may be one reason the coaches want him to stick in the pocket. I thought Pyron would win out on this, but I'm not really surprised. King was a starter at A&M and did pretty well. Pyron started last year and did pretty well. Now we';ll have to see who we actually end up with.

Oh, the suspense!

I mean technically they've both had injury issues.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Zach Pyron still has 4 years left. We've got 2 QBs committed to us (an AJC Super 11 QB, and a 4 Star QB). This program is going to start stacking talented players. Best man wins...which means GT wins.

You can never have too much talent. That's how good programs operate...you stack talent, let them sort it out on the field. Those are good problems to have.

Looking at it on a micro level, we just had a 4 star QB beat out another 4 star QB Elite 11 QB. This is how it should be for GT...and hopefully it will be like that at every position soon.

The good times are coming, GT fans.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I was rooting for Zack Pyron to be our QB. Mainly because he opted to come to GT from the git go and proved himself (to me anyway) with his performance last year on the field of play. He is not some guy that transferred because he couldn't win the job at his 1st choice. All I can figure is King must have played really, really well to win the job without having played a single down for GT. So I am putting my disappointment aside. I am cheering for King and the Jackets to stomp all over UL!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Love Pylon Pyron but also relieved it's King to be honest. We for the most part know what we're getting with Pyron. Feels like our expectations/hopes ceiling is a little higher with the unknown King.

Edit: It also gives me a jolt of confidence in the OL that we're going with a pocket passer rather than Pyron who likes to run. Surely Key would put a playmaker QB in if they were constantly getting flushed out of the pocket, right?
King has played in more big games than Zack and being a first game of the season he may be a little more settled in the moment. Pyron will get his chance. Hope he is not too disappointed.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I keep saying here that we need to get Pyron to embrace his inner Nick Fitzgerald and run and pass his way to victory for us. I don't know that King couldn't do that too, however. He can run, when circumstances call for it, as will probably be the case this year. He isn't quite as raw-boned in his running style as Pyron, however, and that might swing things Zach's way.

Well, the tale of the tape is coming right up so I'll wait for the game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what made the difference. Better reads, more big game experience, better release, tighter spiral, better long ball. So many factors and I imagine not much difference. Must have been a tough call by the staff.

gt6776c

Georgia Tech Fan
Huge Pyron fan here and feel he has that "it" factor. But I am good with King if he won out the battle. We all know from how last year played out with injuries and that we will likely see all 3 of our QBs at some point in time. In that case, I don't see any drop off with Pyron. I think we are finally in a good spot regarding depth at QB and most other positions.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’m a little surprised by this news but I think it bodes well for GT because Pyron is very talented. King has played a fair amount of fb on a very big stage with inconsistent results, Hopefully he is past the freshman yips and is ready to ball out. And for the first time in a long time, I feel really good about our backup QB’s

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The part I'm impressed with is Key and company making the decision now and not waiting, something about that seems right to me. I have no idea how each QB can play or show, always going to have to trust CBK, CCW, CBF for that decision and I'm sure they don't know exactly they just call it best they can with what they have now. It feels right to me.
I've always felt that possibly a lot of Jimbo Fisher's QB problems have been Jimbo Fisher, not positive about that just a feeling I've had going all the way back to FSU days. We could possibly end up playing ZP along with Haynes as a really effective game mgt plan, remember when Nick Saban did that at LSU and was really effective with it. Would not surprise me one bit if that happens. Exciting times on the flats!! GO JACKETS!!

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope he is POed and works his *** off to get better!

I believe I remember @PVdad saying something exactly to the point early last spring, once the King transfer was announced.

I'm a Zach Pyron fan. I think he's got grit, he's got talent, and he's tough. Which like so many others only leads me to think that King must have either balled out, or had something that nosed him over the top. It could simply be a matter of the two being evenly matched, but King having more "big game" starter experience, and also being a RS-Sophomore (vs. Pyron's RS-Freshman standing). Which means we have longer with Pyron.

I think we all (including CBK, CBF, and CCW) know ZP can do it. I'm hopeful he'll keep working, let iron sharpen iron, and we'll see both of them starting at different times this year. For now, I'm ready to cheer on Haynes King as toe meets leather in 9 days, and looking forward to seeing ZP ball out every opportunity he gets and keep the competition going.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this is the deepest, most capable qb room we’ve had in a long time. Gibson is a tough cuss as well. Hope all 3stay competitive