2023 Fall Practice Notes

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Any idea's which coaches on defense and offense will be upstairs in the booth for the 1st game?
I could see Baker in the booth for the defense.
This is our year we improved to the point of being relevant

We have been the team that wins when our opponent tries to suck as bad as us and then we stop.

The coaching is critical.

Lets go Jackets

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Rod MacKenzie said Brian Baker is not allowed in the coaching booth. Only the assistant coaches.
I don't think a guy in Brian Baker's capacity is allowed to coach on the practice field either. Am I right about that? I've always thought he advised and coached through the position coach. Because Marco is new to coaching, I thought it was more a case of helping and expanding Marco's coaching through two sets of eyes and experience, I could easily be wrong about that, somebody that knows straighten me out please. CBK is setting this whole thing up to give coaches great opportunity to achieve their coaching goals which is going to make it where really good and upcoming coaches are going to want to come to GT and coach, so we're going to be having new looks as we go along over the years IMO.
It is looking like we're building something for long term success at the highest level as Pres Cabrera says. Those that don't think it can be done at GT are getting ready to find out different. What is the difference now? The school is behind the program and showing leadership. Was always the biggest problem IMO since Dodd retired.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I believe we have a top 3 WR group in the ACC by the end of the year. We have at least 5 sub 4.5 guys. If we can get them the ball it will be fun to watch

Hopefully, having coaches who have excelled in coaching up WRs to play at a high level, along with a deep knowledge of coaching Air Raid concepts will maximize those receivers skillsets. I feel like we've had good WRs, but they mostly tried to get by with physical skillsets as opposed to the nuances and intricacies of WR play.

I've heard a lot of chatter that Key wants to surprise the ACC by how well and how much we're going to stress defenses with our passing game.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully, having coaches who have excelled in coaching up WRs to play at a high level, along with a deep knowledge of coaching Air Raid concepts will maximize those receivers skillsets. I feel like we've had good WRs, but they mostly tried to get by with physical skillsets as opposed to the nuances and intricacies of WR play.

I've heard a lot of chatter that Key wants to surprise the ACC by how well and how much we're going to stress defenses with our passing game.

There is great talent at that position not even including former 4 star James Blackstrain.

What this group would have looked like with Leo Blackburn. Guy fits a Faulkner TE/WR to a T. Wish we could experience one full year with Leo I feel for the kid

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There is great talent at that position not even including former 4 star James Blackstrain.

What this group would have looked like with Leo Blackburn. Guy fits a Faulkner TE/WR to a T. Wish we could experience one full year with Leo I feel for the kid

I showed my UGA friend what Key said to Blackburn after he tore his ACL again. Something to the effect of "Leo, you're fortunate. Not only will you achieve the athletic success you want, but now you also get to work on your graduate degree on GT's dime." My buddy said, "THAT is a damn good human being and coach." I agree. Key, I think, will be a good combo of O'Leary's no nonsense tough coaching, and Curry's love for SAs.

I think we saw last season how our SAs responded to Key. The thing I look forward to most is how much this team improves after Key has had them for a full Spring and Fall camp.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I showed my UGA friend what Key said to Blackburn after he tore his ACL again. Something to the effect of "Leo, you're fortunate. Not only will you achieve the athletic success you want, but now you also get to work on your graduate degree on GT's dime." My buddy said, "THAT is a damn good human being and coach." I agree. Key, I think, will be a good combo of O'Leary's no nonsense tough coaching, and Curry's love for SAs.

I think we saw last season how our SAs responded to Key. The thing I look forward to most is how much this team improves after Key has had them for a full Spring and Fall camp.
Kid from my hometown played at Auburn after being all-state but was behind two other good RBs. That, and for some reason, the RB coach didn't like him. But Pat Dye did and offered to pay for his grad school if he wanted to go. He ended up not going to grad school.

jacket38

Jolly Good Fellow

official announcement by CBK on the starting QB, I think it's a great decision so the team is focused on game planning and not wrapped up on who the starter will be.

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
And the debate begins. Is the backup better than the starter
I'm going to be that guy, and I hope I'm wrong, but yes. I say that because of his TD/INT ratio not really improving and who his highlights are mostly gimmie passes. Bryce Koon shared his highlight vid in another thread and I can't see how he could be better than Pyron. He does seem to be a bit more fluid/athletic but I didn't see him really make a read. I also just watch the few highlights of Pyron and I see a dude that's game 🎯. I'm wondering if it's one of those scenarios where the guy at the top of the depth chart just crushed it in practice and scrimmage but it doesn't quite materialize on game day quite the same. I think because of him being so well coached by his father he might have a knack for execution in those situations. That part is all speculation of course but Pyron having that grit and readiness isn't. I think if King goes down, God forbid, Pyron takes it and doesn't look back. But as said before, it's great to be in this position and be having this debate for our guys!

slugboy

Staff member
I'm going to be that guy, and I hope I'm wrong, but yes. I say that because of his TD/INT ratio not really improving and who his highlights are mostly gimmie passes. Bryce Koon shared his highlight vid in another thread and I can't see how he could be better than Pyron. He does seem to be a bit more fluid/athletic but I didn't see him really make a read. I also just watch the few highlights of Pyron and I see a dude that's game 🎯. I'm wondering if it's one of those scenarios where the guy at the top of the depth chart just crushed it in practice and scrimmage but it doesn't quite materialize on game day quite the same. I think because of him being so well coached by his father he might have a knack for execution in those situations. That part is all speculation of course but Pyron having that grit and readiness isn't. I think if King goes down, God forbid, Pyron takes it and doesn't look back. But as said before, it's great to be in this position and be having this debate for our guys!
If Weinke doesn’t have every QB making effective reads and instant decisions, there’s a problem. We’ve had an entire off-season to turn reads into habits

I’m more concerned about the line, possibly the center position. We keep practicing different people there, and that position needs to be rock solid.

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
If Weinke doesn’t have every QB making effective reads and instant decisions, there’s a problem. We’ve had an entire off-season to turn reads into habits

I’m more concerned about the line, possibly the center position. We keep practicing different people there, and that position needs to be rock solid.
That's true. I'm hoping as someone mentioned before that King's performance was more of a Jimbo issue. As for the O-line with as depleted as Louisville's trenches apparently are maybe that will buy some more time and help us find our guy.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

On the topic of Center. I had felt for awhile we were locked up there with Franklin. Now I’m seeing where Key has said he’s trying out 4 different guys there. Has he lost faith in Franklin or are we trying WF out at guard/tackle to better utilize him? Just curious what happened.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
On the topic of Center. I had felt for awhile we were locked up there with Franklin. Now I’m seeing where Key has said he’s trying out 4 different guys there. Has he lost faith in Franklin or are we trying WF out at guard/tackle to better utilize him? Just curious what happened.
I get the feeling he was seeing who can play where should we run into injuries and need some depth. He speaks of cross training so I'm not overly worried. This is game prep time and they know who they want at every position

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the mention of the center rotation during camp was to find that backup and contingency when guys go down on the line and swap around. The OL media day firmly painted Franklin as our starter, so don’t let that worry you

slugboy

Staff member
I get the feeling he was seeing who can play where should we run into injuries and need some depth. He speaks of cross training so I'm not overly worried. This is game prep time and they know who they want at every position
The last few seasons, we’ve had an OL player get hurt and had someone fill in. I recall it happening several times at center last season, but it could have been 2021.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just thought they’d say stuff like “finding depth” if they were set on the starter and didn’t know next up