2023 Fall Practice Notes

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Isn’t there some things you can do to limit injuries? Like just go 1 vs 1 for most of your full speed reps and go 1/2 speed or spread the guys out when you’ve got the whole OL/DL units out there?

Kinda off topic. Meant to post earlier. —-After watching some Haynes King highlights I’m not as comfortable anointing ZP to the starting QB position as I felt before. I really thought ZP would be the guy but HK has a really strong arm and is very mobile and athletic. He ran track and played basketball as well in High School and his father is/was also a coach.

I’m thinking if they are about equal HK will get the nod as he has a little more experience and age and ZP will be the QB in wait as he’s younger. Either way we have pretty good depth in that room.
I don't think anyone is going to be announced the starter. It's an open competition and the coaching staff wants it that way. I get the sense from CBK and CBF that they aren't interested in coddling egos and are willing to let the kids fight for the right to start - which is refreshing.

I believe we'll see a very much improved offense this year, starting with the OL play. I also think we're pretty fortunate to have grabbed Faulkner from the Evil Empire. I haven't seen as much buzz about him as I would have expected. I dunno, maybe I'm too giddy? But with Weinke and Faulkner in place on the flats, I actually think we might be able to develop some good QBs.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t there some things you can do to limit injuries? Like just go 1 vs 1 for most of your full speed reps and go 1/2 speed or spread the guys out when you’ve got the whole OL/DL units out there?

Kinda off topic. Meant to post earlier. —-After watching some Haynes King highlights I’m not as comfortable anointing ZP to the starting QB position as I felt before. I really thought ZP would be the guy but HK has a really strong arm and is very mobile and athletic. He ran track and played basketball as well in High School and his father is/was also a coach.

I’m thinking if they are about equal HK will get the nod as he has a little more experience and age and ZP will be the QB in wait as he’s younger. Either way we have pretty good depth in that room.
By the end of last season, it was ZP’s locker room. If King actually does beat ZP out, it’ll be because he significantly outplayed him in camp imo.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I expect our coaches to have a starting QB picked for game 1. Don't want a repeat of CGC's indecision at the position in 2019.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I expect our coaches to have a starting QB picked for game 1. Don't want a repeat of CGC's indecision at the position in 2019.
QB will be named the week before the 1st game. I expect 60/40 split with the 1's during that week of preparation. It may be a situation where a different QB is named at the start of week 2, with the splits in reps being flip-flopped. Eventually, someone will probably earn the starting position.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Coach Key Interview.
Philosophical discussion of motivation, mentaial attitude, ...
2pm practice--its like they expect to play A LOT in hot weather. ---a new approach indeed.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it’s nice to listen to a ball coach. I don’t believe for a minute though he has been completely in the dark about realignment. I know it’s not his job to worry about or anything he can help, but it’s hard not to think about as someone in his position.
I'm sure he is aware, but I expect he is so dialed in, focused on his first ever FB team and all he is responsible for and that it is his dream that he has to make a success of that he doesn't dare take his eyes off of the load he is carrying and the responsibility, I would be if I were in his position. For his sake and ours I certainly hope I'm right in what I'm saying.