2023 Fall Practice Notes

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Was on a Georgia barrier island a little earlier and the heat index was 115.

Anyone old enough to remember summer football camp when they didn’t let you drink water and you might practice two hours straight in the blazing sun without a break?
Yes, my old high school ( Baker high school Columbus georgia) would start with 2 week camp. They put mats down and we sleep on them at night eat at the school could not leave. Camp was 3 practices a day 7 am to 8:30 am in pads , 10 am to 11 am shorts and helmets, then 3:30 pm till 6:30 pm in pads. After school started 3:30 to 7:00 not sure how we made it but we did. We did get one water break in the middle of practice. Our head coach was Dale Williams after coaching at Baker he went to Waycross to coach.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes, my old high school ( Baker high school Columbus georgia) would start with 2 week camp. They put mats down and we sleep on them at night eat at the school could not leave. Camp was 3 practices a day 7 am to 8:30 am in pads , 10 am to 11 am shorts and helmets, then 3:30 pm till 6:30 pm in pads. After school started 3:30 to 7:00 not sure how we made it but we did. We did get one water break in the middle of practice. Our head coach was Dale Williams after coaching at Baker he went to Waycross to coach.
Nice - good memories.
At Pensacola high-at very begining of summer practice we got bused to beach..
Ran gassers in the sand but at end got to run into the beautiful clear gulf of mexico.

Son coaches at small hs in tex- All players are weighed before and after practice- no one released till same wieght. Not science but parents and players like it.

Big hs schools have advantages like indoor facilities - his kids are from poor working families so cant start super early.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Was on a Georgia barrier island a little earlier and the heat index was 115.

Anyone old enough to remember summer football camp when they didn’t let you drink water and you might practice two hours straight in the blazing sun without a break?
Double that with two-a-days. A marine who was severly injured in Viet Nam once told me that when he thought he was near to dying that he thought about those two-a-days and decided that if he could survive that (4 times) then he could survive this. And he did!

slugboy

Staff member
We went to a camp at a small college for the same thing. They supplied water, and fake Gatorade that was mostly salt. We got exhausted but played great that year

Son coaches at small hs in tex- All players are weighed before and after practice- no one released till same wieght. Not science but parents and players like it.
that’s a great idea, and something more coaches should do

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Nice - good memories.
At Pensacola high-at very begining of summer practice we got bused to beach..
Ran gassers in the sand but at end got to run into the beautiful clear gulf of mexico.

Big hs schools have advantages like indoor facilities - his kids are from poor working families so cant start super early.
Back in my high school days mid to late 60’s we were in the highest classification but that was AAA then they had AA, A , B and C . We didn’t have great facilities we sleep in the gym on mats on the floor. After the season we would lift weights 2 days a week run the hills 2 days a week ( problem was Benning hills was a mile from the school and we had to run to get there and back. Then one day on Friday we had ballet. Rules said high schools could not practice after the season but I guess running and weightlifting was not considered practice ( it was to up)
Funny thing back then we had on 90 players and maybe only 5 over 200 then then. No one was over 220.

Mobs can you start a new place to put these some may not want them in this and leave it for Tech only

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Dale Williams was at Waycross when I was a sub-freshman there.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Back in my high school days mid to late 60’s we were in the highest classification but that was AAA then they had AA, A , B and C . We didn’t have great facilities we sleep in the gym on mats on the floor. After the season we would lift weights 2 days a week run the hills 2 days a week ( problem was Benning hills was a mile from the school and we had to run to get there and back. Then one day on Friday we had ballet. Rules said high schools could not practice after the season but I guess running and weightlifting was not considered practice ( it was to up)
Funny thing back then we had on 90 players and maybe only 5 over 200 then then. No one was over 220.

Mobs can you start a new place to put these some may not want them in this and leave it for Tech only
I had forgotten that ballet was a thing then. Was it Arnold Bean who played in a veer offense at Houston? He credited ballet with helping him earn all American honors.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Damn your young :)
No, actually, I’ve decided I am quite old.

I just looked up Dale Williams and realized he was at Waycross several years after I left. Now I have to find an old year book in a box in my attic to see just who the heck that was that was coaching when I was there. Embarrassing how my mind deletes information it no longer thinks I need.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Hot? I don't know about Atlanta but at 6pm or thereabouts, I was playing tennis in Albany and it was very nearly 120 on the heat index. The dew point at one time was well over 70. Christ, it was like trying to breathe underwater.
Funny you say that.In high school we were playing Albany Hi football in early Sept (Im from Columbus Hi).We DIED there that night in the swampy humidity (only regular season loss) .I have often said that the air was so thick I swear you could have taken a knife out and cut a big cube out. yep-hot. lol

alagold

Helluva Engineer
NES,
I was at Columbus Hi .Finished in '64. ---yep, the other day about Aug 10 I CRINGED one hot morning even now here because it reminded me of the start of summer fball camp ---especially rolling in a sandy/dirt field dripping with sweat and sand pouring down my back trying to scrimmage . yuck

stech81

Helluva Engineer
NES,
I was at Columbus Hi .Finished in '64. ---yep, the other day about Aug 10 I CRINGED one hot morning even now here because it reminded me of the start of summer fball camp ---especially rolling in a sandy/dirt field dripping with sweat and sand pouring down my back trying to scrimmage . yuck
So you were one of the rich ones who went to Columbus High :) unlike us poor south Columbus guys who went to Baker or the poor north Columbus guys who went to Jordan.
I knew your head coach( Davis) his son played on our jr high team Eddie. He tried to get 5 of us to go to Columbus 2 did the others went to Baker. One that went to Columbus was good at football but a great basketball player and give up football to play basketball ( jimmy Denny)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
A few points-

Why folks talk about Pyron as if he’s a 2* walk-on? I’ll put the percentage at 80% that’s hes the starter and with no platooning

- The defense returns 7 starters, i believe 7/8 on the DL and 4 DBs with multiple games starts, yet some expect a significant drop off? That’s crazy

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A few points-

Why folks talk about Pyron as if he’s a 2* walk-on? I’ll put the percentage at 80% that’s hes the starter and with no platooning

- The defense returns 7 starters, i believe 7/8 on the DL and 4 DBs with multiple games starts, yet some expect a significant drop off? That’s crazy
I agree with your points and look forward to your posts. As a former player you see things and understand things most of us miss.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
A few points-

I think our OL will be significantly better, and I think Pyron is going to put us back on the map this season. I do worry a little about losing Charlie Thomas and Keion White.....

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
A few points-

On defense it’s replacing a 2nd round draftee on the D line and two good linebackers.

We should be ok at LB but some drop off. White is impossible to replace. How well the D line plays drives the whole D. Our DL play hasn’t been real good in a while.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
On defense it’s replacing a 2nd round draftee on the D line and two good linebackers.

We should be ok at LB but some drop off. White is impossible to replace. How well the D line plays drives the whole D. Our DL play hasn’t been real good in a while.
Teams lose players every year. It's an opportunity for other players to step up. It doesn't mean that we are necessarily going to take a step back. No one knows yet.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Nothing is impossible! Unless you watched White, many didn’t foresee a 2nd rd pick. If you are into the advance analytics, Sylvain avg numbers were comparably or better than White, he just has stay healthy.

Same for LB, we lost guys and replacing them talented guys who has seen significant snaps. Appears Tatum is penned in as 1 starter now you need one more to pair with him out of the group White, Oliver, & Moala(?).