2023 Coaching Carousel

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Bill O'Brien to Boston College? He did a good job at Penn State post-Paterno, but the Texans stint ended in disaster and, in my opinion, he was absolutely carried by talent both with the Patriots and with Alabama. My only worry is he would convince Julian Sayin to come with him.

BOB is a good coach. That would be a great hire if BC can make that happen.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow

Bill O'Brien to Boston College? He did a good job at Penn State post-Paterno, but the Texans stint ended in disaster and, in my opinion, he was absolutely carried by talent both with the Patriots and with Alabama. My only worry is he would convince Julian Sayin to come with him.

He took over a different situation at Penn St and even though we lost a couple of players that transferred he still took over a loaded Penn St team that had NFL talent all over the field and a NFL QB. McGloin was a good QB when he got to Penn St and Bob made him better. IMO Silas Redd was the only loss we felt the other players that transferred out we no better than average. Brown was a good WR but was replaced by Allen Robinson so there you go. Bob did do a great job keeping things together and a good job of coaching. Just my opinion though

Techster

Helluva Engineer
BOB is a VERY good coach. IMO, he's a George O'Leary clone but with an offensive mind. He's going to do very well at BC. For some reason some GT fans don't want to give him credit for what a great job he did at Penn State, and how well he did at Houston in the NFL.

He was in my top 3 list for GT before we settled on Key. I hope he doesn't go to BC because those games would be very difficult for GT. BC would be a stepping stone type job for BOB, so I wouldn't expect him there for long.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
BOB is a VERY good coach. IMO, he's a George O'Leary clone but with an offensive mind. He's going to do very well at BC. For some reason some GT fans don't want to give him credit for what a great job he did at Penn State, and how well he did at Houston in the NFL.

He was in my top 3 list for GT before we settled on Key. I hope he doesn't go to BC because those games would be very difficult for GT. BC would be a stepping stone type job for BOB, so I wouldn't expect him there for long.
I didn’t follow him at PSU, and he ended up getting fired at Texas, IIRC, so who knows. Dan Quinn had a few good years with the Falcons, too.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

BoB’s issue is managing a program and people. He knows football for sure. He is not a great communicator of his vision which can cause problems.

If he is the BC coach and does well there hats off to him. They are generally solid but seldom exceptional.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
BoB’s issue is managing a program and people. He knows football for sure. He is not a great communicator of his vision which can cause problems.

If he is the BC coach and does well there hats off to him. They are generally solid but seldom exceptional.

Bill O'Brien is the most successful coach in Texans history in terms of win percentage and no coach in franchise history has more playoff appearances. He guided Penn State through sanctions that forced them to play a lot of walk ons and freshmen/sophomores. Never had a losing season at Penn State.

Bill O'Brien's problem is he's got the ego the size of the sun, and he's quick to throw people under the bus. He can flat out coach ball though.

BC job is what you make of it. It won't ever be 'Bama or Ohio State, but a good coach can win 9+ games there and raise his profile to move on to a bigger program. That's what I see from Bill O'Brien and BC.

Last edited:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t follow him at PSU, and he ended up getting fired at Texas, IIRC, so who knows. Dan Quinn had a few good years with the Falcons, too.
He got fired mostly because of issues with people in the organization. No one with common sense is usually going to fire a coach after a 10-6 year with a playoff victory even if they do make some questionable personnel changes. Since he was fired in 2020, the Texans have hired three more head coaches, firing two of them.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
He got fired mostly because of issues with people in the organization. No one with common sense is usually going to fire a coach after a 10-6 year with a playoff victory even if they do make some questionable personnel changes. Since he was fired in 2020, the Texans have hired three more head coaches, firing two of them.
They were 0-4 when he was fired and in organizational chaos. Much better coach than GM.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

I speak from an Alabama family’s perspective that they weren’t very impressed with him and that’s not an unpopular opinion. To hear my dad tell it, they struggled with execution and play calling both years, and Rees was a definite upgrade. I will say I thought he was a good HC at Penn State and Houston. He probably would’ve had a nice long tenure for the Texans had he not immediately tanked the team as soon as he became GM.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Y’all know I’m a truck driver and i was over in Alabama listening to sports talk radio a few years ago and the Tide fans were complaining about Bob’s play calling when the Tide lost to A&M 41-38 when imo for what it’s worth should’ve been complaining about the defense. Bob did a very good job at Alabama it’s their defense that’s been stinking it up the last 5 or 6 years the offense has been very good.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Y’all know I’m a truck driver and i was over in Alabama listening to sports talk radio a few years ago and the Tide fans were complaining about Bob’s play calling when the Tide lost to A&M 41-38 when imo for what it’s worth should’ve been complaining about the defense. Bob did a very good job at Alabama it’s their defense that’s been stinking it up the last 5 or 6 years the offense has been very good.
Yeah they were pretty sour on the DC Golding too, even moreso than BoB. I’m just saying, from what I’ve read online, heard in real life, and from the eye test of the few games I’ve seen, Tommy Rees was universally considered an upgrade.

Most of the complaints center around the offense being too complex (resulting in poor execution), motion-based, and predictable, and not taking advantage of the current RPO meta in college football. All of which makes me think his playcalling style is just better suited for the more experienced NFL than college.

Last edited:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
They were 0-4 when he was fired and in organizational chaos. Much better coach than GM.
I don't think the 0-4 had anything to do with it really. The Hopkins trade along with internal feuding made him a dead man walking. Again, the coach that came after him was fired after one year. The coach that came after that was fired after one year. That organization has issues.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the 0-4 had anything to do with it really. The Hopkins trade along with internal feuding made him a dead man walking. Again, the coach that came after him was fired after one year. The coach that came after that was fired after one year. That organization has issues.
Seems like they righted their ship this past season. Getting the right QB is essential in the NFL. Watson was the key player for the Texans until his legal issues kept him off the field. Stroud looked like the real deal this past season.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Yeah they were pretty sour on the DC Golding too, even moreso than BoB. I’m just saying, from what I’ve read online, heard in real life, and from the eye test of the few games I’ve seen, Tommy Rees was universally considered an upgrade.

Most of the complaints center around the offense being too complex (resulting in poor execution), motion-based, and predictable, and not taking advantage of the current RPO meta in college football. All of which makes me think his playcalling style is just better suited for the more experienced NFL than college.

Complex and predictable seem somewhat opposed to each other, but I can certainly see where they can coexist. I've spent way too much time in my life imagining the best way to train football players and learn playbooks where they can automatically recognize what is needed without conscious thought. Being as I've never played or been involved in organized football in my life, the thoughts aren't very helpful to anyone. But I do think, especially at the college level, accomplishing that task is super critical to success.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I speak from an Alabama family’s perspective that they weren’t very impressed with him and that’s not an unpopular opinion. To hear my dad tell it, they struggled with execution and play calling both years, and Rees was a definite upgrade. I will say I thought he was a good HC at Penn State and Houston. He probably would’ve had a nice long tenure for the Texans had he not immediately tanked the team as soon as he became GM.
Are you really going to cite fans’ opinions and message boards as evidence? Have you ever read some of the posts on this board from supposedly a “smart” fanbase? Some of the worst takes and opinions in the world exist here.

BOB’s offenses ranked 2nd and 8th in OFEI. This year under Rees they were 20th.

Bama fans just weren’t used to not playing in the SECCG or CFP and needed to scapegoat somebody, so they picked BOB even though his offenses clearly weren’t the problem. They averaged 41 PPG in 2022 for God’s sake, 4th in the nation.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Complex and predictable seem somewhat opposed to each other, but I can certainly see where they can coexist. I've spent way too much time in my life imagining the best way to train football players and learn playbooks where they can automatically recognize what is needed without conscious thought. Being as I've never played or been involved in organized football in my life, the thoughts aren't very helpful to anyone. But I do think, especially at the college level, accomplishing that task is super critical to success.
When you consistently see delay of game penalties after a timeout, that's 100% on the OC. Staying in the huddle until :10 on the play clock and then hurrying into place to snap it with :01 left. And now you can't run presnap motion with that little time on the clock. After the snap, the QB is usually expected to make pro-style reads in a slow-developing offense, which is diametrically opposed to today's RPO meta.

And despite all the chess, BoB was stubborn when it didn't work (see Texas 2022 when they blew up half a dozen bubble screens). Not a lot of creativity in the run game - heavy on the inside runs, light on the traps and counters. Lots of slow-developing pass plays on 3rd down. When the fanbase just wants to run the damn ball, all of that is a mortal sin. Rees got back to just that which is why they were happy with him.

Are you really going to cite fans’ opinions and message boards as evidence? Have you ever read some of the posts on this board from supposedly a “smart” fanbase? Some of the worst takes and opinions in the world exist here.

BOB’s offenses ranked 2nd and 8th in OFEI. This year under Rees they were 20th.

Bama fans just weren’t used to not playing in the SECCG or CFP and needed to scapegoat somebody, so they picked BOB even though his offenses clearly weren’t the problem. They averaged 41 PPG in 2022 for God’s sake, 4th in the nation.
Alabama also replaced a #1 overall pick at QB (who was one of the highest rated QB recruits ever, just below Vince Young and Trevor Lawrence) with a glorified RB who can't throw a slant route.

I think they were generally okay with BoB until the Tennessee loss. Yes they scored a ton and the loss was the defense's fault - but to be tied and have the ball on the opponents 32 with 0:38 left, and waste zero of UT's timeouts, gain zero yards, miss the long FG and leave time on the clock and lose... was unforgiveable. Alabama runs the ball three times there and probably make the playoffs.

Sure fans are not the most reliable opinions out there, but BoB and Golding were pretty universally panned. Only coach I've ever heard more grumbling about is Geoff.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Alabama also replaced a #1 overall pick at QB (who was one of the highest rated QB recruits ever, just below Vince Young and Trevor Lawrence) with a glorified RB who can't throw a slant route.

I think they were generally okay with BoB until the Tennessee loss. Yes they scored a ton and the loss was the defense's fault - but to be tied and have the ball on the opponents 32 with 0:38 left, and waste zero of UT's timeouts, gain zero yards, miss the long FG and leave time on the clock and lose... was unforgiveable. Alabama runs the ball three times there and probably make the playoffs.

Sure fans are not the most reliable opinions out there, but BoB and Golding were pretty universally panned. Only coach I've ever heard more grumbling about is Geoff.
I don’t care how much grumbling the Gumps were doing. Where you score 41 points a game and are in the top 5 or 10 of damn near every offensive category, losses are not the fault of the OC. Saban has a headset on, if he doesn’t like what’s going on I’m sure he has the authority to change it. Bama scored 49 points against Tennessee in 2022, BoB did his job, and a damn good one at that.

Point being, BoB is a good coach. I would’ve been very happy had we hired him here, and I think he’d do well at BC