2023 Coaching Carousel

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
DP’s offense at Temple in 2018 had an OFEI ranking at 53. Paul’s offense that year was ranked at 56.

Patenaude is a much better coach than folks on here give him credit for. He’s never coached anywhere with actual resources, yet he’s helped produce All-Americans and NFL players at more than one of his stops. The most resources he ever had was at Tech, but he was severely hamstrung by CGC’s nonsense, negating what little advantage he might’ve gotten in the first places. Would I be interested in having him back at Tech for an on-field role? No. But do I think he’s a very knowledgeable and effective football coach? Yes. Had DP not linked up with Collins during his move to Temple, I think his career arc would look much different than it currently does. Although it is a bit strange he hung around with him as long as he actually did. He tied himself to Collins’ wagon just as much as Stansbury did.
Temple had OFEI ranking of 73, not 53, and Tech was 18, not 56, in 2018. I mean, you are not even close to being accurate.

Last edited:

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
...or make a comeback... :unsure:
Bama fan by family here. Saban will be 75 in 2 or 3 years - I put his chances of a comeback at 0%.

I think he wanted to stay involved to see his recruits be successful and to shepherd a successful transition (unlike post-Bear) that would be positive of his legacy. Unfortunately in the age of unrestricted transfers, unlimited NIL, and a 30-day window where players have sole attention and can leave but nobody can transfer in, it’s pretty much impossible to guarantee successful continuity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bama fan by family here. Saban will be 75 in 2 or 3 years - I put his chances of a comeback at 0%.

I think he wanted to stay involved to see his recruits be successful and to shepherd a successful transition (unlike post-Bear) that would be positive of his legacy. Unfortunately in the age of unrestricted transfers, unlimited NIL, and a 30-day window where players have sole attention and can leave but nobody can transfer in, it’s pretty much impossible to guarantee successful continuity.

Oh, I was being sarcastic. Saban wouldn't want to risk his legacy coming back after 3 years off.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Temple had OFEI ranking of 73, not 53, and Tech was 18, not 56, in 2018. I mean, you are not even close to being accurate.
So I looked at overall FEI instead of just OFEI. Sue me. The point remains: Patenaude is a solid football coach that could’ve done a lot more at/for Tech if he was given a fair shake

stech81

Helluva Engineer
you do remember Bear coached his last game in 82 and died in Jan 83. He retired as coach but not as AD.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
So I looked at overall FEI instead of just OFEI. Sue me. The point remains: Patenaude is a solid football coach that could’ve done a lot more at/for Tech if he was given a fair shake
The point is wrong when there are zero data points to support your position. The man has never coached an above average offense at an FBS school. I hated the hire back in 2019 because his offenses at Temple were bad. He actually performed worse than I expected, but not by much.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It is concerning that the one program we could count on to beat UGAG (when they did get beat in the past 3-4 years) is now bleeding players at a concerning rate. I guess we knew that sa(t)an was why many of those guys were there, but it is still surprising the number of starters, some of their best, who are leaving. Maybe another team, LSU or FSU or Texas or someone, will replace Bammer as the UGAG spoiler.

I've never been a Saban fan, but I found myself rooting for him when I saw his talent might be the only talent that could stop the gaggers. I am surprised that if Saban really wanted those players to not leave, he couldn't convince them to stay and play for DeBoer. It almost makes me believe he really doesn't want the guy following him to have any chance of immediate success. I guess DeBoer is on his own, and I doubt the bammers will give him any time to right the ship. It is currently sinking pretty fast.

Again, I don't feel sorry for them, but I did like the fact that I could have hope of them stopping the evil located in NE GA.
They will be fine. May take a year or two.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
“They will be fine” is not a reassuring answer. Sure, they will be a winning program, but will they continue to dominate uga? No evidence their mastery of the mutts will continue and uga’s position at the top of the SEC looks all but assured.
Well then…
We just have to do it ourselves.
IMG_8258.gif

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
“They will be fine” is not a reassuring answer. Sure, they will be a winning program, but will they continue to dominate uga? No evidence their mastery of the mutts will continue and uga’s position at the top of the SEC looks all but assured.

Meh. Ef, Bama! Let it rot and burn. They will eventually come back, but it is no benefit to GT that offer an equally corrupt counterbalance to ugag.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It is concerning that the one program we could count on to beat UGAG (when they did get beat in the past 3-4 years) is now bleeding players at a concerning rate. I guess we knew that sa(t)an was why many of those guys were there, but it is still surprising the number of starters, some of their best, who are leaving. Maybe another team, LSU or FSU or Texas or someone, will replace Bammer as the UGAG spoiler.

I've never been a Saban fan, but I found myself rooting for him when I saw his talent might be the only talent that could stop the gaggers. I am surprised that if Saban really wanted those players to not leave, he couldn't convince them to stay and play for DeBoer. It almost makes me believe he really doesn't want the guy following him to have any chance of immediate success. I guess DeBoer is on his own, and I doubt the bammers will give him any time to right the ship. It is currently sinking pretty fast.

Again, I don't feel sorry for them, but I did like the fact that I could have hope of them stopping the evil located in NE GA.
There is a really good interview with him on YouTube. I have more respect for him now after watching it. I think he plans on being involved in trying to get the NIL problem under some control. He thinks some sort of a more equitable distribution is necessary. He said he wasn't sure he was going to actually announce his retirement right up to 5 minutes before. Said health was not a factor.