2023 Coaching Carousel

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Are you from Bama? Most Bama fans think Canada is a funny tasting soft drink.
We had a couple of Bama jokes when I was at Tech:
What's the best thing ever to come from Alabama ? .............I- 20 East
What do they call good looking girls in Alabama ?................. Visitors ( Definitely NOT true , BTW ) ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Reports are “Saban will have an open door to my office.”

If both coaches like each other, and both want the best for Bama, this could work out. Saban may help inoculate him some from the inevitable criticism from Bama fans.

The “Washington Yankee” still better have nerves of steel.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don’t keep up with the NFL anymore, but shouldn’t they be running out of quality HC material soon? Seems like they’ve tried every decent assistant and should be scouting the college ranks this year or next. Kirby, Harbaugh, or that guy at Southern Cal should be on a few people’s list.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t keep up with the NFL anymore, but shouldn’t they be running out of quality HC material soon? Seems like they’ve tried every decent assistant and should be scouting the college ranks this year or next. Kirby, Harbaugh, or that guy at Southern Cal should be on a few people’s list.
Na. The next generation of coaches are in their mid 30's. Heck, there are four current head coaches who were assistants for the same Washington team (Kyle Shanahan, McVay, McDaniel, Matt LaFleur) and two who are up for HC position (Slowik and Morris, who was already a head coach). There are plenty if young up and coming assistants primed for their first HC gig.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Look at the playoffs and the ages of the coaches. Far more young guys than old guys. If you came out of the Shanahan tree you have a good chance to succeed. One of his tree guys, McVay has had several of his assistants become good HCs

slugboy

Staff member
Look at the playoffs and the ages of the coaches. Far more young guys than old guys. If you came out of the Shanahan tree you have a good chance to succeed. One of his tree guys, McVay has had several of his assistants become good HCs
The Falcons had three of the best NFL head coaches on Dan Quinn’s staff. They hired Sark over two of them. I don’t think they’re impressed with the Falcons organization.

slugboy

Staff member
What a frickin’ mess—maybe Scott Frost takes the Arizona job, but it’s likely that we continue to play more musical chairs with coaching jobs.

Some G5 and FCS jobs will be open—Thacker and Tillman may get decent jobs

One quiet change—Saban had a “coach rehab” of analysts. I don’t know if DeBoer will be able to run the same program—Saban had a personal reputation that enabled that program

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
What does age have to do with it? Innovation is not bound by age, it’s bound by ideology. Change is inevitable, but not all change is good, and not all good change is innovation. The coaches who recognize this will open a door for innovation that can move them forward. The ones who don’t just aren’t good HC material regardless of age.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Change is inevitable, but not all change is good

Innovate, influence, be the change......

Motor Oil Car GIF