2023 Coaching Carousel

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Saban has to be smart enough to know that whatever coach comes in isn’t going to want to have the former coach (who happens to be a living legend), having an office/any direct collection with the football program, right?

Yes, a coach should definitely want to use him as a resource and Alabama would be dumb to let him get too far. But that shadow is sounding very big, and very close

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Saban has to be smart enough to know that whatever coach comes in isn’t going to want to have the former coach (who happens to be a living legend), having an office/any direct collection with the football program, right?

Yes, a coach should definitely want to use him as a resource and Alabama would be dumb to let him get too far. But that shadow is sounding very big, and very close
My guess is that Kiffin would be OK with it. It also leads credence that it may be a current Bama coordinator.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So far:

NO
Lanning - Staying
Sarkisian - Staying
Smart - LOLOL
Norvell - Staying

TBD
Deboer - smoke here, but possibly Deboer leveraging 'Bama for a huge raise
Swinney - worst case scenario for 'Bama fans

Just Chillin'
Kiffin

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I did see some rumors that Saban will stay in the building long enough to make sure that Kiffin isn't the hire.
Take that for what rumors are worth.

I think the biggest issue for AL is going to be who wants to be the coach that follows Saban? AL has all the resources in the world to succeed, but every coach will be compared to Saban and if they don't win a Natty within the first 3 years or so (and it is going to get harder to do that with an expanded playoffs meaning more games against good teams) they will be seen as a failure by the fanbase.

It's also funny that 3 years ago Swinney to AL would be seen as a home run by AL fans, today it would be a very different story.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I did see some rumors that Saban will stay in the building long enough to make sure that Kiffin isn't the hire.
Take that for what rumors are worth.

I think the biggest issue for AL is going to be who wants to be the coach that follows Saban? AL has all the resources in the world to succeed, but every coach will be compared to Saban and if they don't win a Natty within the first 3 years or so (and it is going to get harder to do that with an expanded playoffs meaning more games against good teams) they will be seen as a failure by the fanbase.

It's also funny that 3 years ago Swinney to AL would be seen as a home run by AL fans, today it would be a very different story.
On Swinney: Of course. They are (AL fans/admin) are a what have you done lately crowd. Dabo has won less since Lawrence left and has struggled to put the next great QB out there. He’s still won 10 games per year, but has not been back to the CFP three years running, and those 10 games are “only” ACC teams. Dabo has grown into a very good HC, who knows how to hire assistants who get the ground work done.

Meh. Screw em. Hire Mike Shula back, I hear he’s still around.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Dabo is getting left in the dust. We can whine about it but the sport has changed, and time has no reverse gear. Those coaches who can master the portal/NIL/players being paid will be the successful ones moving forward.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Oof, he's gonna get deBoo'd if they ever go back to the Pacific NW. :)

Yep, that's what I went with.
IMG_7790.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seems like things have been going on in the background for a bit. Of course Jimmy Sexton would be in the middle of it...

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Makes me wonder if Kiffin got played by some 'Bama boosters last year not wanting to deal with Kiffin in the same state and with Auburn's deep pockets.

Reminds me of the scene with Paul Giamatti and Ryan Gosling in the Ides of March where Gosling gets fired for double dealing, then Gosling goes to Giamatti after being teased with a job earlier in the movie, but Giamatti tells Gosling he can't hire him because he was his competitor's guy, and he's now damaged goods. Giamatti said something to the effect "I win either way. If you would have come with me, I would have had one of the best media minds on my staff, if you got fired, I also win because now my enemy doesn't have you."

If they surround Deboer with some SEC experienced assistants that can recruit, it's a homerun hire for 'Bama. DeBoer is a great X's and O's coach, and he's great at developing talent. Wins at a high level everywhere he goes. He's also a lot "warmer" than Saban, and 'Bama pretty much recruits itself at this point.

Last edited: