2023 Coaching Carousel

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would argue that Tech is one of the few schools that have matched that with Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd. Ironically, if Dodd had hung it up earlier, we probably could have gotten a fourth in Frank Broyles.
Wow. I wasn’t thinking that far back but can’t believe I overlooked one of the great coaching runs in football. Notre Dame I think had similar runs back in the day.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Alabama fans after Deboer’s first year following Saban: “He’s just not a good culture fit, not our kind of guy.”
I do not know enough about Deboer to know if he is as completely unscrupulous in breaking the rules (tampering, bag men, etc.) to get the players he wants as Saban was. Nor do I know if he can insulate himself from his program's misdeeds like Saban was able to do. I know Dabo has scruples, which is why the Bama fans do not want him. Kiffin has zero scruples, but is probably not smart enough to stay out of trouble.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I do not know enough about Deboer to know if he is as completely unscrupulous in breaking the rules (tampering, bag men, etc.) to get the players he wants as Saban was. Nor do I know if he can insulate himself from his program's misdeeds like Saban was able to do. I know Dabo has scruples, which is why the Bama fans do not want him. Kiffin has zero scruples, but is probably not smart enough to stay out if trouble.

Three years ago, Dabo could've been the guy. His lack of use of the transfer portal and lack of finding the next generational QB after Watson and Lawrence, as well as lower recruiting rankings have hurt his stock. Also, he is pretty thin skinned. If he got upset with Tyler from Spartanburg, imagine the calls he get at Alabama when he lost to LSU or Auburn. He's in the perfect place for him. They love him there and can coach there as long as he wants. He's not a good fit at Alabama.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
If he wins, he'll be fine. Look at the coaches between Bear Bryant and Saban.

Ray Perkins: won at a 67.7% clip. More of an NFL coach.
Bill Curry: the day he left GT for Alabama is one of the greatest days in our football program's history. I respect the hell out of him, but couldn't stand him when he was our coach and I was growing up. Won 72.2% of his games at Alabama and got a brick thrown through his window. Left for Kentucky.
Gene Stallings: won a title with some of Curry's recruits. Actually had a lower winning percentage than Curry, but has a statue by the stadium.
Dubose/Francione/Price/Shula: all won less than 70% of their games and most at or below 50%.

He seems like a damn good coach, has won everywhere he's been and just finished runner up in the CFP. He needs good recruiters and he'll be fine. Most of the coaches after Bryant weren't very good coaches and not really prepared for that job. He should do well there.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
The dakota's are just alabama with snow.

4Th Of July Usa GIF by Republican Governors Association

or

Awkward Kay Ivey GIF by Republican Governors Association

I like snow.......

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not sure he will need a honeymoon year. His record is pretty incredible, guy knows how to win everywhere. Alabama being bad creates a power vacuum and we know who fills it.... So I hope he's better than Saban 😅

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Saban say he's sticking around, any one speculate as to why. I'm guessing he will guide the new guy in dealing with the 'bama folk and also guide him in recruiting this part of the country.