2023 Coaching Carousel

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You may well be right. However, I see the ACC with very high graduation rates for athletes and I know all is not lost. Then I see our champion unceremoniously excluded from the playoff and I know CFB is firmly in the hands of greedy opportunists and that its future is not bright. IIWII.
That champion who got butt raced by UGAG would have been and underdog to Parkview

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a self-respecting coach, but I would gladly keep Saban around and get all the advice and help I can get. That may be the only way to come out alive from following him up.
Yeah ok, well I’m guessing he will be offering a little more than just friendly advice. If you’re a kid are you gonna listen to you‘re new stepdad if Dad still lives in the house too?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Did they whiff? It appears Saban is advocating for OC Tommy Rees. AD Byrne has a list he’s working, but the goal was to be done by Fri.

They should have announced the retirement and the new coach at the same time.

Saban is also going to keep an office at the Stadium. Talk about casting a shadow over your successor....both figuratively and literally.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Remember when Miami had their run of national championships? They actually hired 3 great head coaches in a row. I would be hard pressed to think of another college team that has had that run of success hiring head coaches. Someone on here may be able to give other examples.

Alabama has had a slightly more up and down record when it comes to the coaches who follow the great coaches. For those who think Alabama will be ok, what gives you this confidence?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember when Miami had their run of national championships? They actually hired 3 great head coaches in a row. I would be hard pressed to think of another college team that has had that run of success hiring head coaches. Someone on here may be able to give other examples.

Alabama has had a slightly more up and down record when it comes to the coaches who follow the great coaches. For those who think Alabama will be ok, what gives you this confidence?
I would argue that Tech is one of the few schools that have matched that with Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd. Ironically, if Dodd had hung it up earlier, we probably could have gotten a fourth in Frank Broyles.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That did not work out at Tech when Dodd hung around as AD.
As far as I know, Saban isn't going to be Alabama's AD, just there for support.

It's more than likely going to be a losing proposition for whoever takes the job, regardless of whether Saban is there or not. If you are aligned with and friends with Saban though, he may be able help CYA.

I think it's a bit like Daniel and the Lion's den, and Saban is the only angel you might get.

slugboy

Staff member

Boy, you look at the press, and you get a lot of different answers about who they might be hiring—Deion gets listed sometimes, and I think that’s silly.

Cons: Saban had an exit letter, and reportedly he talked about the changes in recruiting and how his style didn’t fit.
He built an infrastructure, but all of CFB is changing, and what worked in 2015 may not work in 2025. Whoever takes over has to change some things that Saban did, and there will be resistance.
(Don’t just change for the sake of changing, but there are some things that have to change. Even Saban was changing)

Pros: DeBoer (Washington), Norvell (FSU), and Rees (Bama OC) are interesting candidates. I think Norvell would pick up pretty much where Saban left off—he’s not as good of a coach, but I think he’s good enough. DeBoer has worked his way up from small schools. Rees has some downside—really young and inexperienced.
If it’s Norvell or DeBoer—especially Norvell—I’d expect Alabama to keep winning.

Also, is Auburn in turmoil?

Finally, Saban and Belichick both coached on a “mid” Cleveland Browns team together. Kind of amazing that two all time coaches coached together there (in a losing cause).

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Boy, you look at the press, and you get a lot of different answers about who they might be hiring—Deion gets listed sometimes, and I think that’s silly.

Cons: Saban had an exit letter, and reportedly he talked about the changes in recruiting and how his style didn’t fit.
He built an infrastructure, but all of CFB is changing, and what worked in 2015 may not work in 2025. Whoever takes over has to change some things that Saban did, and there will be resistance.
(Don’t just change for the sake of changing, but there are some things that have to change. Even Saban was changing)

Pros: DeBoer (Washington), Norvell (FSU), and Rees (Bama OC) are interesting candidates. I think Norvell would pick up pretty much where Saban left off—he’s not as good of a coach, but I think he’s good enough. DeBoer has worked his way up from small schools. Rees has some downside—really young and inexperienced.
If it’s Norvell or DeBoer—especially Norvell—I’d expect Alabama to keep winning.

Also, is Auburn in turmoil?

Finally, Saban and Belichick both coached on a “mid” Cleveland Browns team together. Kind of amazing that two all time coaches coached together there (in a losing cause).

I saw Auburn had some sort of issue that was apparently pre-Freeze that is resulting in all their stuff, not sure on the details though.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I would argue that Tech is one of the few schools that have matched that with Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd. Ironically, if Dodd had hung it up earlier, we probably could have gotten a fourth in Frank Broyles.
Dodd, as AD, had Doug Dickey lined up to replace himself but was overruled by the athletic board… the same board that has made crap decision after crap decision in the ensuing 5 decades.

That would be the same Doug Dickey who has a lifetime HC W/L of 104-58-6 with 2 SEC championships, and 2 SEC CotY awards, and is in both the TN and FL CFB HoF.

Just so everybody knows….

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What good, established coach wants to walk into work everyday with this situation?

I would guesstimate there's a 33% premium above the salary normally commanded for a new Alabama HC just to compensate for following a legend as big as Bear Bryant.

They need someone with ice water in his veins, someone who can withstand the pressure. Anything less than an SEC title and a trip to the playoffs would be unacceptable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would guesstimate there's a 33% premium above the salary normally commanded for a new Alabama HC just to compensate for following a legend as big as Bear Bryant.

They need someone with ice water in his veins, someone who can withstand the pressure. Anything less than an SEC title and a trip to the playoffs would be unacceptable.

Paul Johnson has already said he's done coaching...