2023 Coaching Carousel

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
MTSU seems to have just fired their coach. This week might have more changes.

Also, Hoke and Bowden retired, and their ADs seem to be happy they did
They were both very much in "we want to fire you but we're broke and you're old, so..." mode that we did to Paul Johnson.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn't be surprised if CBF lands a bigger gig at some point soon, but I can't imagine he'd leave for this one. It's objectively a step down. Not only are they a measurably worse team, but their head coach is on a VERY hot seat. Why would he leave a good thing just to go to Arkansas and be fired in a year?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Can confirm that I have heard confirmation from other sources reporting that Georgia Tech OC Buster Faulkner has informed that he is not interested in the position. While there was no formal offer, Faulkner has pulled his name. Pittman will now turn to his other options.</p>&mdash; Hog Anonymous (@Hoggynonymous) <a href="">November 27, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I'm just hoping when Faulkner leaves in a couple years for a HC job that Weinke doesn't go with him and has shown enough promise after being tutored by Buster for a few years to be promoted to OC.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Elko's contract post season incentives are cumulative and add up to 10.5 million for a natty. His base is 7 million for 6 years so if he wins a natty, his pay for the season will be 17.5 million. Crazy!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Elko's contract post season incentives are cumulative and add up to 10.5 million for a natty. His base is 7 million for 6 years so if he wins a natty, his pay for the season will be 17.5 million. Crazy!
Worth every penny if he wins them one

slugboy

Staff member
Wouldn't his body or work put him in line for a better job than in Durham NC?
Fucked Up GIF

Some of this is nuts. But, after Cutcliffe had a good run, and now Elko, it doesn’t look like a horrible spot.

Fortunately, ADs have now figured out what makes a team successful:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse is targeting Georgia defensive assistant Fran Brown for its head-coaching vacancy, sources told ESPN on Monday night, confirming a report.

Brown played at Western Carolina when Rhule was on staff. Former Georgia Tech coach Geoff Collins was the Catamounts’ defensive coordinator at the time as well.

They really had to include that last bit.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Maybe in Atlanta. I doubt Colorado.
We will see but it looks like Deion’s shtick is not attractive to every recruit. Could be a slight bump in the road or a major bug in the system. The NCAA is not going to help Deion hang on to his recruits. CPJ had a simple remedy if someone committed but then kept looking at other schools. “If you’re still looking we’re still looking.”

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't his body or work put him in line for a better job than in Durham NC?

Age (he's 62) is a concern with Cignetti. If both Fritz and Cignetti were a decade younger they'd have bigger schools lining up. Fritz pretty much admitted he was looking for GT to fund his retirement if we were to hire him.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Deion also stated a couple of weeks ago they weren't playing players to come to Colorado. They were coming because they wanted to be there.
That tells me his NIL pool is probably not overly deep.

I also have no clue how many he really plans to bring in for next season. He doesn't have alot of players that are out of eligibility - 13. He brought in a ton of transfers with more than 1 year left. But, what's to stop him from doing what he did last summer and simply cut alot of guys.

I also saw a comment today that was interesting. Saturday's game was the first time in his coaching career that he wasn't starting/coaching his son at QB. This goes back to his HS coaching days and at Jackson State. It will be interesting to see what happens once his son uses up his eligiblity next season.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Age (he's 62) is a concern with Cignetti. If both Fritz and Cignetti were a decade younger they'd have bigger schools lining up. Fritz pretty much admitted he was looking for GT to fund his retirement if we were to hire him.
Exactly, with guaranteed money.