2023 Coaching Carousel

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Deion also stated a couple of weeks ago they weren't playing players to come to Colorado. They were coming because they wanted to be there.
That tells me his NIL pool is probably not overly deep.

I also have no clue how many he really plans to bring in for next season. He doesn't have alot of players that are out of eligibility - 13. He brought in a ton of transfers with more than 1 year left. But, what's to stop him from doing what he did last summer and simply cut alot of guys.

I also saw a comment today that was interesting. Saturday's game was the first time in his coaching career that he wasn't starting/coaching his son at QB. This goes back to his HS coaching days and at Jackson State. It will be interesting to see what happens once his son uses up his eligiblity next season.
Deion’s son’s and Hunter are possibly getting it all, Shedeur is getting 4-5 mil in NIL this year iirc

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Deion also stated a couple of weeks ago they weren't playing players to come to Colorado. They were coming because they wanted to be there.
That tells me his NIL pool is probably not overly deep.
As one who early on thought Deion would be a great hire for Tech, as the drama has unfolded in Boulder I'm happier that he's there than here. While I don't know much about coaching a football team, I'm pretty sure that you can't run any large organization on ego and bravado alone. While he may have great success at Colorado(I certainly don't wish him ill), my gut tells me that it likely won't end well. Tough to build a cohesive team with the turnover he's looking at - just about the entire roster this season and looking like close to half of it for next season at the rate his players are hitting the portal; not to mention losing high profile commits.

To quote the old pilot's axiom, "I'd rather be down here wishing that I was up there than up there wishing that I was down here." I'm thrilled with the improvement CBK has pulled off in his first year as head coach and I think that we're really in a good place. First time that I've felt that way in years!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Another defection from Colorado....

Sean Lewis was thrown under the bus earlier in the year because Deion couldn't recruit OLs to protect his QBs, and he was blaming his son getting sacked on Lewis. I'm not sure any good coach would want to coach for Deion now given how other coaches were treated. Tim Brewster just recently left as well...he was the TEs coach for Colorado.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
If I was the HC, I’d think “man, I just hired my replacement”

If I was in the business of selling motorcycle insurance, I'd think, "man, I could make some great commercials to raise NIL money." Off the top of my head, say maybe for the U of A women's volleyball team........

1701210390372.png

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Petrino had to get a special exception from the University of Arkansas president to get employed there again (people fired for cause are banned from re-employment unless the president grants an exemption)

SOOO many analogies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Petrino had to get a special exception from the University of Arkansas president to get employed there again (people fired for cause are banned from re-employment unless the president grants an exemption)

SOOO many analogies.

So many good OCs...why even go back to Petrino? It's like Auburn going to Hugh Freeze (Yes, I know he was fired at Ole Miss not Auburn).

Why SEC schools...why?!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sean Lewis was thrown under the bus earlier in the year because Deion couldn't recruit OLs to protect his QBs, and he was blaming his son getting sacked on Lewis. I'm not sure any good coach would want to coach for Deion now given how other coaches were treated. Tim Brewster just recently left as well...he was the TEs coach for Colorado.

There is a new article in the Athletic that is sort of a post-season review of Colorado with quotes from 1/2 dozen anonymous PAC 12 assistants.
It is mentioned by assistants that they think Colorado will have a difficult time hiring assistants because of how Lewis was treated. They also mention that the TE coach who left is the best recruiter on that staff and that the OL coach came with Lewis and would likely leave if Lewis left.

They also mention that it appeared to have a star player issue with Deion's sons and Hunter being treated differently than others on the team. Specifically mentioned one time that Shedeur came off the field and the OC tried to to talk him and Shadeur simply brushed him off and went to the other end of the bench. They mentioned that Colorado's secondary played soft (including Hunter who was actually targeted alot - 53 times, allowing 40 completions and 5 TD's to go with his 3 INT's) and that Shilo plays hard and is good in run defense, but isn't a great cover safety.

The biggest issue they talked about was the lines though. Basically said both lines were not P5 quality. They also mentioned that lines are not really something you can build through the portal - there simply are not enough P5 quality linemen to do that and that lines are developmental positions that you need years to build. You can plug a spot in a line, but you really can't build a line with portal players. They are also shocked that he only has 1 OL recruited for next season - a 3* junior college transfer.

They also don't believe Deion will be able to play the portal as hard this year due to bringing in so many this past year and how the NCAA is getting more restrictive with 2nd time transfers.

Finally, they talked about how Deion is being very positive about next year (as most coaches would be) but the assistants see some hard times ahead. They said it is the blue collar coaches who do well. The ones that are willing to put in the work and effort to recruit and develop players and build a program and a culture. They think that Deion is starting to see that, but you can't shortcut that - you have to be willing to go through the building process.