2023 Coaching Carousel

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
TBH, it completely sucks that CFB has come to this. IMPO.
So, my take is that CBK has his dream job, and no amount of money is going to lure him away. First off, I'm doubtful that any program would take a risk on a head coach with 1.5 seasons under his belt. Second, I just don't get the sense he's wired that way.

If he continues to be successful, Tech will pay him well, and he will retire from Tech 20+ years from now a happy man.

I'm less sure about CBF, but Virginia Tech held its brain trust together for a long time, so maybe we can do the same.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been pretty cynical about the path college football is on, but to be fair, hiring coaches away from other schools has been going on since the beginning. Tech hired John Heisman away from Clemson in 1904 for a $50 raise
1701052772714.jpeg

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
I think he's doing great and would love to keep him at least a few more years. High academic standards at GT is often considered an impediment to football success, but one advantage is smart athletes can learn smarter methods quicker. CPJ leveraged that advantage. CBF is bringing it back. Some more time to re-establish mental strength alongside physical strength would really pay off. A program built on quick learning and disciplined decision-making will play above its weight class and should also recruit well because those "intangibles" are so important for NFL scouts.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
We are going to open this thread for all rumors, innuendo, and actual news reports involving coaching changes in the 2023 offseason. As some of these may affect GT and future schedules, we will leave it in the GT forum.
Duke’s Elko to Texas A&M.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Based on his comments last year when taking the Tech job about wanting to stay in Georgia, I don't see him jumping to what is mostly a lateral move with a head coach that is much more likely to get fired than ours next year. Arkansas was paying Kendall Briles 1.25m, so more than the 750k Faulkner is making this season, but I imagine we will be willing to increase that salary a good bit after the results we've seen. I think we actually have a higher salary pool for assistants than Arkansas does too - I'm seeing $7.5m was available for Tech last year, vs $5.7m-6.2m for Arkansas.

Key has a LOT of backing by $$$ people. That was before the season. I would imagine that backing is even stronger after this season, and the performance against UGA. Faulkner is one of the biggest reasons for our success. If Key wants to keep Faulkner, and there's zero reason to believe he doesn't, the money will be there to keep Faulkner.

On another note, GT fans need to accept that when we have success, other teams will want to hire the people that were responsible for our success. That's just not specific to GT. Good programs are magnets for suiters. Take it as a compliment. I hope GT is one of the top places for other teams to come poaching for coaches and players every year...that means GT is successful. It's up to GTAA and our NIL programs to step up to the plate and take care business to keep our coaches and players.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
On another note, GT fans need to accept that when we have success, other teams will want to hire the people that were responsible for our success. That's just not specific to GT. Good programs are magnets for suiters. Take it as a compliment. I hope GT is one of the top places for other teams to come poaching for coaches and players every year...that means GT is successful. It's up to GTAA and our NIL programs to step up to the plate and take care business to keep our coaches and players.
Two thoughts:

1. You're right.
2. During the CPJ era, we were immune to the Coach Poach because other schools didn't want to run the TO.
3. Tech may find itself in a perpetual rebuild mode if our top players are getting paid more to play elsewhere.

;)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Willie Fritz rumored to be considering Houston, I would have to think that the dookies will take a look at him as well

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Willie Fritz rumored to be considering Houston, I would have to think that the dookies will take a look at him as well

I hope not. Fritz would be perfect for a school like GT (we passed) or Duke. I do NOT want to face Fritz with P5 level talent.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The 2 things that bother me most about Fritz is his age and the fact that he has coached for 27 years at non-P5 schools and never a P5 conference.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Key has a LOT of backing by $$$ people. That was before the season. I would imagine that backing is even stronger after this season, and the performance against UGA. Faulkner is one of the biggest reasons for our success. If Key wants to keep Faulkner, and there's zero reason to believe he doesn't, the money will be there to keep Faulkner.

While I never want to lose good coaches I want to have coaches that other people desire. If we get poached it means we did something really well. And, very importantly, Brent has proven that he has an eye for good offensive coaches. I don't want to lose any of those guys but I now have complete faith in Brent to find a worthy successor on offense. Still a bit TBD on defense.

slugboy

Staff member
MTSU seems to have just fired their coach. This week might have more changes.

Also, Hoke and Bowden retired, and their ADs seem to be happy they did

Last edited: