2023 CFB Playoff

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Barring anything unforeseen like a huge upset:
SEC champ
BIG Champ
Other two spots going to TCU, Clemson, or several one loss teams.
Going to be interesting going forward.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Barring anything unforeseen like a huge upset:
SEC champ
BIG Champ
Other two spots going to TCU, Clemson, or several one loss teams.
Going to be interesting going forward.
I think unforeseen is more likely than not.

Both Clemson & TCU would have to run table to keep a 1-loss Pac12 champ (USC or Oregon) out. That scenario (Clemson/TCU as 1-loss champs) creates 5 teams for 4 spots. We can hope.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It really won’t be interesting, As you said the SEC champ is in. The winner of Ohio St/Mich will win the BIG and be in. Clemson had their close call and survived so they’ll run the table. Someone else will go undefeated and get in. The only interesting part of the season left is will the Ohio St receivers get the easy separation they are use to getting against the SEC champ DB’s?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It really won’t be interesting, As you said the SEC champ is in. The winner of Ohio St/Mich will win the BIG and be in. Clemson had their close call and survived so they’ll run the table. Someone else will go undefeated and get in. The only interesting part of the season left is will the Ohio St receivers get the easy separation they are use to getting against the SEC champ DB’s?
Splitting hairs... but TCU is only "someone else" who could possibly be that unbeaten team. That would surprise me. They have 3 tough B12 road games left. I'm not sure the B12 allows anyone to win all their games. 😀

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm ready when the committee calls for my opinion:
1 Tenn
2 Ohio State
3 TCU
4 Clemson
5 UGA
6 Michigan
7 Alabama
8 Oregon

Based on body of work to date. Not projecting any future outcomes (committee claims to do it that way).

TENN/OSU essentially tied
Clemson/UGA essentially tied

If you're anti-dawg (like me)... need Tenn to beat them handily AND Oregon to lose some. Helps if Clemson & TCU run table without much drama. If UGA/Tenn is tight... that loser will probably remain in top 4 with only that 1 loss.

It's not helping Clemson that Wake Syracuse & NC State all regressed since losing to Clemson.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, it looks like it could possibly be two Big and two SEC. Hope not, but does a one loss SEC or BIG non champion go in ahead of PAC or Clemson?
ND would be sitting pretty if they played n the ACC this year and had an ACC schedule.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, it looks like it could possibly be two Big and two SEC. Hope not, but does a one loss SEC or BIG non champion go in ahead of PAC or Clemson?
ND would be sitting pretty if they played n the ACC this year and had an ACC schedule.
Feels like it will be 4 from this list. All others are out (or have a slim prayer that's hard to fathom) And 2 B1G 2 SEC might be best 4 teams... but there is no way to objectively determine that. 🙂
UGA
OSU
MICH
TENN
TCU
ORE
USC

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Feels like it will be 4 from this list. All others are out (or have a slim prayer that's hard to fathom) And 2 B1G 2 SEC might be best 4 teams... but there is no way to objectively determine that. 🙂
UGA
OSU
MICH
TENN
TCU
ORE
USC

LOVE to seem Clempy out. They aren't that good winning in close games against lesser teams. Maybe if they give Daba Daba Do another few $M a year to start / keep the wrong QB in the game? Or have blocked punts?

1667745741200.png

Here's ESPN ballot this morning, they like TCU more than you may:
1667745459156.png

And remember David Hale as the SEC homer (not you @FredJacket , these guys get paid to be wrong):
1667745581515.png

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll be honest, it sort of looks like UGA and everyone else right now.

Ohio St looked dreadful (it was is not nice weather) yesterday and looked mediocre against Penn ST.
Mich was losing at halftime to Rutgers before turning off the jets.
Oregon looks great right now. Probably #2 behind UGA.
TCU keeps playing with fire but winning.

I think TN gets in if they win out (and they will be heavily favored in their last 3) and UGA beats whoever comes out of the SEC West (likely either Ole Miss or LSU). TN would be the top ranked 1-loss team in that scenario.

If the team that wins the PAC CG has 1 loss I think they are likely to get in (Note that USC and UCLA play each other yet so one of them has to take a second loss).

We are down to just 4 unbeaten teams - UGA, OSU, MI, and TCU and one of OSU/MI has to take a loss.

FWIW, Notre Dame has won its last 27 regular season games against ACC opponents - it's last regular season loss to an ACC team was to Miami at Miami on Nov 11, 2017.
It did lose to Clemson in the ACC Championship game in 2020 (Covid year) and also lost to Clemson in the 2018 Cotton Bowl.
Given all they have left this year is BC, it seems likely they will have won their last 28 regular season games against ACC opponents going into the 2023 season.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
ND should seriously look at joining the ACC full time. Easier path and a one loss ND would be hard to keep out. Champions or not.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
ND should seriously look at joining the ACC full time. Easier path and a one loss ND would be hard to keep out. Champions or not.
I agree, and a championship game win would put them over the top, but no way they join with the ACC’s rancid tv contract and GOR

slugboy

Staff member
IF ND were to join the ACC, it would force ESPNs hand on renegotiating the contract.
I’m not sure they’d agree to an equitable distribution—I think they’d want the Texas in the B12 distribution where ND gets the biggest slice of the pie.
That’s hell to negotiate
But I don’t think it’s a consideration now

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I keep wondering what happens if a red hot LSU upsets UGa in the SEC title game. UGa at 12-1, UT at 11-1, and ...the SEC champ LSU at 11-2. Who goes? Who stays home? Ohh, let the mayhem begin, PLEAZE!

It's not that far-fetched. LSU's defense is growing MUCH better game after game, They absolutely demolished Ole Miss' offense after a poor start shutting them out for the last three quarters. And they did a good job on Bama last night. And now their offense is clicking along pretty well.

They certainly won't be favored, but ...who knows?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I keep wondering what happens if a red hot LSU upsets UGa in the SEC title game. UGa at 12-1, UT at 11-1, and ...the SEC champ LSU at 11-2. Who goes? Who stays home? Ohh, let the mayhem begin, PLEAZE!

I see no scenario in which UT(K) gets in the playoffs. The score doesn't look too bad at first glance but if you saw any of that game UT was never a factor. They may be a few recruiting classes away from being in that (CFB) conversation based on the bits and pieces I saw yesterday.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I see no scenario in which UT(K) gets in the playoffs. The score doesn't look too bad at first glance but if you saw any of that game UT was never a factor. They may be a few recruiting classes away from being in that (CFB) conversation based on the bits and pieces I saw yesterday.
Agreed. The SEC champ is in whether it’s UGA or LSU. TCU will be in. Winner of Ohio St/Mich is in. Then Oregon is in if they win their conference.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

It's not that far-fetched. LSU's defense is growing MUCH better game after game, They absolutely demolished Ole Miss' offense after a poor start shutting them out for the last three quarters. And they did a good job on Bama last night. And now their offense is clicking along pretty well.

They certainly won't be favored, but ...who knows?
Nothing would surprise me about the committee. In that scenario, BIG and 3 SEC. I would not watch.