2023 CFB Playoff

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's early but fun to project.

I feel for the B12. They choose to actually have exciting football all year long week in & week out. Too much parity among some damn good football teams to arrive at end of season with a team that can sniff top 4.

What's more likely right now?
2xSEC & 2xB1G
or
2×SEC & 1XB1G & 1xPac12
or
2xSEC & 1×B1G & 1xACC
or
only 1xSEC?
or
any B12?

...just trying to get the dialogue started.
over...

Mods... if this is a duplicative, my apologies.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’ll play.
Ohio State
Alabama
Georgia (easy schedule, but they’re playing like crap)
Wake or Clemson
1/3 of the way through the season. Way too early. But never underestimate the committee to put four from two conferences.

JacketFan137

Banned
08B81831-0B84-4C0C-BBCF-7B13E1CCE6D8.jpeg

i don’t think desmond howard got it right guys

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought Alabama was a lock. But if there QB is out for any length of time, not a slam dunk. Despite UGA's recent performance, they still have a good chance. But at least they will have some competition...Tennessee, Kentucky, MS. State and Florida (would like to say us but I don't think we are there yet). So I am still betting 2 in the SEC. Winner of Ohio State and Michigan as a 3rd (though Penn St. is still undefeated and could be a spoiler). The 4th becomes a lot more difficult. Undefeated teams Clemson, OK. State, and USC (along with TN, Ole Miss and Penn St). Clemson is 5th and I think they have made it through the most difficult part of their schedule. I would say Clemson as the 4th.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
There are at least 2 unbeaten teams in each P5 conference. Not sure what that means but I think the G5 bubbas (Coastal) don't have any shot.
Is it theoretically possible to have 3 of the top 4 from the SEC? If so, Alabama, UGA, Tennessee, and Ohio State. Tennessee wins it all.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I thought Alabama was a lock. But if there QB is out for any length of time, not a slam dunk. Despite UGA's recent performance, they still have a good chance. But at least they will have some competition...Tennessee, Kentucky, MS. State and Florida (would like to say us but I don't think we are there yet). So I am still betting 2 in the SEC. Winner of Ohio State and Michigan as a 3rd (though Penn St. is still undefeated and could be a spoiler). The 4th becomes a lot more difficult. Undefeated teams Clemson, OK. State, and USC (along with TN, Ole Miss and Penn St). Clemson is 5th and I think they have made it through the most difficult part of their schedule. I would say Clemson as the 4th.
Bama at Tenn next week... it’s going to be real interesting... especially if they go without QB1

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Theoretically... yes. Very unlikely.

Winner of UT v UGA beats Alabama in SECCG. & if it's UT they lose to Alabama next week. All 3 are 1 loss teams. Plus... 3 of the ACC, P12, B10 & B12 champs all have a "bad" loss on their resumes. Unlikely

Techster

Helluva Engineer
'Bama plays Tennessee next week. If they don't get Bryce Young back, they are in a world of hurt. Tennessee can put up some points and they are on a roll right now. After UT, 'Bama has Miss State which can be scary good at times with Mike Leach. They have LSU after that...then Ole Miss.

Ole Miss is the real deal...I've said earlier in the season, Ole Miss has a legit shot of beating 'Bama. Lane Kiffin's offenses has always been able to score against Saban. The problem has always been his defenses. He doesn't have an elite defense at Ole Miss this year, but it's VERY good (DFEI #24).

There's a chance 'Bama may have 2 losses before Thanksgiving.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Theoretically... yes. Very unlikely.

Winner of UT v UGA beats Alabama in SECCG. & if it's UT they lose to Alabama next week. All 3 are 1 loss teams. Plus... 3 of the ACC, P12, B10 & B12 champs all have a "bad" loss on their resumes. Unlikely
Yeah, that’s kinda what I was thinking. I still think Tennessee is the team to beat. I would not be surprised if they beat both Alabama and Georgia.

Has anybody else noticed a lot of sloppy football this year, regardless of conference? Maybe it’s just me but the dominants aren’t as apparent this season to me.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Where is this headed? Which P5 conf (or 2) is getting left out?
I guess you assume (like usually happens) somebody suffers a catastrophic loss & it makes it too easy for the committee.

I see the B12 just ruining things for themselves. TCU in driver's seat now but Texas may be the champ with 2 losses. With their parity, the B12 might be the best overall CFB "product" week in & out... but that feature might be the flaw where nobody avoids losing too many to make top 4.

Clemson probably has to run the table [again] now or ACC is out.

PAC12 champ could be there if no more than 1 loss. USC ORE or UCLA

Assuming B10 champ is Mich or OSU with no more than 1 loss... they'll be in.

SEC is setting up for 2 teams.

I just want it to be very difficult on the committee. I like the debate/controversy.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess you assume (like usually happens) somebody suffers a catastrophic loss & it makes it too easy for the committee.

I see the B12 just ruining things for themselves. TCU in driver's seat now but Texas may be the champ with 2 losses. With their parity, the B12 might be the best overall CFB "product" week in & out... but that feature might be the flaw where nobody avoids losing too many to make top 4.

I just want it to be very difficult on the committee. I like the debate/controversy.
At this point I'm leaning towards 2 B1G teams and 2 $EC teams. I think the PAC-12 gets left out in the cold again because they always find a way to kill-off their best chance to get in (right now that's UCLA). USC might make it in, but they have to win out and they still have UCLA left to play. I see their conference playing out as UCLA losing to Oregon, Oregon losing to Utah, and USC losing to UCLA. If all those things happen, it won't matter who is the conference champion because they will have 2 losses.

2 of ALA/TENN/ugag/MISS will probably make it in. Ole Miss HAS to win out, including conference champions, to be considered.

Clemson could sneak in, but they could slip up and lose which would put them out because of a weak overall ACC this year.

OSU and MICH could both get in if the winner of their game demolishes their foe in the conference championship game. The wider the margin, the better it looks for the loser of OSU-MICH.

BIG 12 is kind of self-destructing like we see the PAC-12 do every year. TCU is their best hope, but they haven't been very convincing in their argument to be a top 4 team. They too must win out and win out in style to make it in. If they lose, then the BIG 12 is left out in the cold too.

This year might be the toughest choices the committee has to make and I'm here for all of it. Make them sweat it out!

JacketFan137

Banned
At this point I'm leaning towards 2 B1G teams and 2 $EC teams. I think the PAC-12 gets left out in the cold again because they always find a way to kill-off their best chance to get in (right now that's UCLA). USC might make it in, but they have to win out and they still have UCLA left to play. I see their conference playing out as UCLA losing to Oregon, Oregon losing to Utah, and USC losing to UCLA. If all those things happen, it won't matter who is the conference champion because they will have 2 losses.

2 of ALA/TENN/ugag/MISS will probably make it in. Ole Miss HAS to win out, including conference champions, to be considered.

Clemson could sneak in, but they could slip up and lose which would put them out because of a weak overall ACC this year.

OSU and MICH could both get in if the winner of their game demolishes their foe in the conference championship game. The wider the margin, the better it looks for the loser of OSU-MICH.

BIG 12 is kind of self-destructing like we see the PAC-12 do every year. TCU is their best hope, but they haven't been very convincing in their argument to be a top 4 team. They too must win out and win out in style to make it in. If they lose, then the BIG 12 is left out in the cold too.

This year might be the toughest choices the committee has to make and I'm here for all of it. Make them sweat it out!
i hope ole miss and tennessee me up beating bama and uga just so we get something different in the playoffs

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I don’t really think there is much difficulty or controversy for the committee as long as they are rewarding big state schools with huge fan bases from P5 conferences. Ticket sales, eyeballs and TV revenue while scratching the backs of the ones who bring it. That’s goal #1.
Cincy last year was the closest thing to upsetting that balance and I bet that won’t happen again.
As for my wishes, I want undefeated teams across P5 conferences NOT named SEC / BIG. If I had my way, it’s Cuse, TCU, UCLA. I want to see them try to justify multiple 1 loss teams from SEC / BIG over “non-traditional” undefeated P5 conf Champs. That could be fun

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don’t really think there is much difficulty or controversy for the committee as long as they are rewarding big state schools with huge fan bases from P5 conferences. Ticket sales, eyeballs and TV revenue while scratching the backs of the ones who bring it. That’s goal #1.
Cincy last year was the closest thing to upsetting that balance and I bet that won’t happen again.
As for my wishes, I want undefeated teams across P5 conferences NOT named SEC / BIG. If I had my way, it’s Cuse, TCU, UCLA. I want to see them try to justify multiple 1 loss teams from SEC / BIG over “non-traditional” undefeated P5 conf Champs. That could be fun
The rematch of the SEC championship game was a TV dud. No real interest outside the southeast. I really love college football but I didn't even watch it. I did watch the SEC championship game.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The 12 team playoffs clearly will favor the SEC and B10. But the flipside of that is at least 6 conferences will have participants.
But what does that mean? Those two conferences have the best teams so of course they will have multiple teams in. What the true upside is that any team that has a fantastic year will now have a legit shot to get in. Imagine GT at 10-2 with Clemson getting the auto bid. We’d still have a shot. And if our conference got their act together we could get in 2-3 teams just like the SEC will. But that actually involves good coaching and good execution which is something the ACC sans Dabo has issues with.