2023-24 Predictions

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
without asking specifics about the article, can anyone confirm that our guys are at least healthy?
Yesterday, I saw a tweet that said everyone should be available to begin the season. An earlier post on the Swarm said Ndongo had his wrist in a wrap (or cast). WE have a lot more quality depth this year, so I am not worried about minor dings right now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am predicting that we will play Clark Atlanta one week from today. Hie thee to McCamish and report back to us that life in the far away hinterlands. Thanks.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
without asking specifics about the article, can anyone confirm that our guys are at least healthy?
KQ mentioned that Lance Terry nor Baye Ndongo played due to injury, but both should be fine going into season opener.

One other nugget from the article that I'll add is that ~ 40% of our shots were treys! Keep an eye out for Carter Murphy.

This is a great forum for hoops talk, but there's no better insider for GT sports than Kelly Quinlan IMO.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I can't speak to their style of play but Carter Murphy was a career backup and 30% 3 point shooter at USAFA. Maybe he gets cleaner looks in our current offense and he'll be shooting 35%+ but I don't see him getting much run on this team outside garbage time minutes.

How fun was that game at Syracuse last season? I know we won't shoot 45% from 3 every game but it would be awesome to see similar performances with some regularity.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Our first opponent, GaSo, lost to Augusta (D2) in an exhibition tonight
I saw the Augusta-Georgia Southern exhibition game with national tournament contender Augusta playing a deliberate control game and Southern playing a pro style running offense who did not sub very much. They shot many 3 pointers and made less than 20% with the rebounds going long over the heads of their taller big men. Augusta beat them in transition near the end of the game due to Southern being worn down. I think Southern's first coach, coming in from Alabama, did not made any adjustments in his game plan to counter Augusta University deliberate ball movement offense and did not have the talent for a pro-style offense. That could be a concern for Georgia Tech initially if the 3 pointers are not falling.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I saw the Augusta-Georgia Southern exhibition game with national tournament contender Augusta playing a deliberate control game and Southern playing a pro style running offense who did not sub very much. They shot many 3 pointers and made less than 20% with the rebounds going long over the heads of their taller big men. Augusta beat them in transition near the end of the game due to Southern being worn down. I think Southern's first coach, coming in from Alabama, did not made any adjustments in his game plan to counter Augusta University deliberate ball movement offense and did not have the talent for a pro-style offense. That could be a concern for Georgia Tech initially if the 3 pointers are not falling.
With the report of Tech shooting 40% of shots with three pointers and Southern running a pro-style offense, the Tech-Georgia Southern game will be a real shoot-out worth seeing. Two first-year coaches using pro-style games. Defense should win that game, hoping it is better that what I see in the pros. Hopefully, someone on the staff will remind the team not to take Georgia Southern lightly. On opening night Monday Dec 1, 1958, NAIA Georgia Teachers College Professors, now Georgia Southern, coached by Coach J. B. Scearce, came up to Atlanta and beat a good Roger Kaiser 17-9 team 72-64. There was 1,500 in attendance that night. Hopefully more will be there on opening night Monday Nov 6. I was assistant coach at Georgia Southern to Coach Scearce, the most winning ever basketball coach in the state of Georgia, during his last coaching years of 1977-79.

Attachments

• The_Atlanta_Constitution_1958_12_02_page_29.jpg
    The_Atlanta_Constitution_1958_12_02_page_29.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple things I noticed from today’s ACC interviews…Both coaching staff and players have been talking about how good Ndongo is and will be. CDS was very complimentary of him and what he could become. I also liked the fact that CDS loves ball movement. He said he got on to Kelly about being too stagnant on offense last year. I think some of that was the offense we ran. He wants to run more of an NBA style offense. He said both Garpare and Ndongo can guard 1 through 5.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Speaking of predictions and rosters this year. I have heard no predictions from the coaching staff, but I have heard optimistic comments I like to hear. Play the best players at the time that fit into a winning strategy. The players have now learned the game plan and they know where they fit into the plan, and they know who is better or worse that them. Have all the players prepared to play when called upon. Coach Stoudamire played college in a time and league that won a championship and knows how to win. He rebuilt a program at Pacific to be coach of the year in his conference. At Boston Celtics, he had a constantly changing roster at the beginning of the season and even during the season, seeking to play the best players to fit the coaching strategy. He knows basketball and players, so no worries about that. And he has kept his strategy close hold, but looking at this roster, I see he is able to do more that a Princeton offense for an 8 pass one shot offense we had to do when I played for Tech 1968-72. We had no shot clock, no three pointers, no dunks, and had several motion plays to get Yunkus the ball inside. That worked well with Yunkus averaging 30 points a game and 10 rebounds, with the point guards like me a lots less. But Coach Hyder's strategy won many games against stronger opponents. For two of my 3 years on varsity, we were invited to two 25-team NCAA tournaments, turning them down to play in 2 16-team NIT's in Madison Square Garden, making it to the elite 8 and finals. Coach Stoudamire has a balanced roster of freshman through grad student. I am not certain who and how many scholarship players of the 13 authorized by the NCAA plus the 3 non-scholarship players he has. I am sure he know where each fits into the scheme and that they understand their role and place in the scheme, although he says in interviews he does not assign roles. He is building a team with each doing their part to win, and he is experienced enough to adapt to the situation. And knows how to recruit gapfillers for next years' team. Keeping the 16 man team happy to be there should not be a challenge if expectations are managed and he does what he says. I do know personally that one of the walk-on player #35 Emmer Nichols, a top 30 California native who turned doen many D1 scholarships to play at Tech, where his Great Grandfather was a tennis star and (Bill Moore) and Emmer's brother graduated from Tech. Emmer is a team oriented player who walks teammates to church every sunday at various churches around Tech. Ahd he tutors them with homework. I suspect portal transfer Air Force second lieutenant Carter Murphy's graduate program in computer science is funded by the Air Force. A good get to have a 4 year Air Force Academy 3 point shooter starter for free if so. So I am seeing a 16 man team that will do everything to win with a coaching staff that knows how to get them ready and able to win. That is the Tech culture I remember and the laying of a good foundation. Sorry for being so wordy and will do better next time, maybe.

Attachments

• NCAA scholarships.jpg
    NCAA scholarships.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 24

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I really have no expectations with this team.
New team, new coaches, alot of new players.
I just plan on sitting back and seeing how the season goes (and cheering for them every game).
I am probably leaning in to optimistic. Moreso after the UAB game because the Blazer crowd is pretty hyped after last year.

I don't have any expectations and my predictions are just mind games at this point. Just a week away from the exhibition. So, I am ready for hoops.

griffin mizell

Georgia Tech Fan
Speaking of predictions and rosters this year. I have heard no predictions from the coaching staff, but I have heard optimistic comments I like to hear. Play the best players at the time that fit into a winning strategy. The players have now learned the game plan and they know where they fit into the plan, and they know who is better or worse that them. Have all the players prepared to play when called upon. Coach Stoudamire played college in a time and league that won a championship and knows how to win. He rebuilt a program at Pacific to be coach of the year in his conference. At Boston Celtics, he had a constantly changing roster at the beginning of the season and even during the season, seeking to play the best players to fit the coaching strategy. He knows basketball and players, so no worries about that. And he has kept his strategy close hold, but looking at this roster, I see he is able to do more that a Princeton offense for an 8 pass one shot offense we had to do when I played for Tech 1968-72. We had no shot clock, no three pointers, no dunks, and had several motion plays to get Yunkus the ball inside. That worked well with Yunkus averaging 30 points a game and 10 rebounds, with the point guards like me a lots less. But Coach Hyder's strategy won many games against stronger opponents. For two of my 3 years on varsity, we were invited to two 25-team NCAA tournaments, turning them down to play in 2 16-team NIT's in Madison Square Garden, making it to the elite 8 and finals. Coach Stoudamire has a balanced roster of freshman through grad student. I am not certain who and how many scholarship players of the 13 authorized by the NCAA plus the 3 non-scholarship players he has. I am sure he know where each fits into the scheme and that they understand their role and place in the scheme, although he says in interviews he does not assign roles. He is building a team with each doing their part to win, and he is experienced enough to adapt to the situation. And knows how to recruit gapfillers for next years' team. Keeping the 16 man team happy to be there should not be a challenge if expectations are managed and he does what he says. I do know personally that one of the walk-on player #35 Emmer Nichols, a top 30 California native who turned doen many D1 scholarships to play at Tech, where his Great Grandfather was a tennis star and (Bill Moore) and Emmer's brother graduated from Tech. Emmer is a team oriented player who walks teammates to church every sunday at various churches around Tech. Ahd he tutors them with homework. I suspect portal transfer Air Force second lieutenant Carter Murphy's graduate program in computer science is funded by the Air Force. A good get to have a 4 year Air Force Academy 3 point shooter starter for free if so. So I am seeing a 16 man team that will do everything to win with a coaching staff that knows how to get them ready and able to win. That is the Tech culture I remember and the laying of a good foundation. Sorry for being so wordy and will do better next time, maybe.
Remember you ,Bob Seemer,Yunkus.Good times,UNC in New York

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Remember you ,Bob Seemer,Yunkus.Good times,UNC in New York
We do remember all you fans who showed up and cheered us on. Bob is doing fine in retirement in Florida and Rich in Benton. But his knees finally gave out on him more than he would like. We all are looking forward to getting back to Tech for the letterwinner reunion after the holidays. Bobby Cremins and Roger Kaiser are pushing hard for Damon to keep that going after 36 years of games and socialization that Bobby started with Coach Hyder in 1985 to bring back the old players. I hope Damon keeps that going.