2022 Season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IIRC, Varitek also called the game while at Tech.

I missed him since the database had Varitek drafted as an OF. But looking at positions he played, clearly should have been C. Here's the updated list ...... Varitek and Wieters clearly at the top!

1641664148666.png

Varitek is the only GT player to have been drafted in the first round and stayed / gone to GT that I know of.
1641664341689.png

Attachments

• 1641664352014.png
    1641664352014.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 5

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Nice for people to think our baseball team will be as good as our volleyball team.

I'm willing to bet there will be more than 1 non-P5 team in the final rpi top 20. (Assuming ECU is only non-P5 team in the guess.). Maybe 3-4?
Looks like they've got La Tech at #14 as well. Just outside the top 20 UC Irvine at #21, Long Beach State at #22, and Southern Miss at #24? Going off my knowledge of those programs and my interpretation of the logos.

Edit: that's Southern Missouri, not Southern Mississippi, by the way.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Looks like they've got La Tech at #14 as well. Just outside the top 20 UC Irvine at #21, Long Beach State at #22, and Southern Miss at #24? Going off my knowledge of those programs and my interpretation of the logos.

Edit: that's Southern Missouri, not Southern Mississippi, by the way.
Just for the record, you’re correct about Irvine at 21. That’s Dallas Baptist at 22, and 24 is indeed Southern Mississippi, so your first intuition was correct.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
WTG Tres and Kevin...

Yes... well deserved!

But... let's think about more significant crap....

Who is the preseason "Best GTSwarm Baseball Forum Poster"?

Criteria (no particular order):
Accurate facts
Humor
Perfect understanding & articulation of merits of "the bunt"
Minimal jinxing & hexing

Feel free to add to criteria.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
WTG Tres and Kevin...

No excuse not to win ACC with all this draftable talent. (tic) A counterpoint is below.

We may have a lot of draftable players but as we have seen, what matters is on the field. We are going to score a lot of runs. But will our pitching and D be good enough to keep us in with the elite teams? Elite teams have elite pitching and we have seen that elite pitching can shut down elite offenses in the NCAAs. Look at Vandy's power loss last year. Many other examples.

Here's my main point for the morning. Preseason ranking has become even less certain with transfers. Duh.

D1 Baseball recently ranked the incoming "Newcomer" players for the season to include transfers. Not reassuring at all for GT. Given we have so much perceived talent, it may have been hard to improve with transfers. Chandler is the only guy projected to start who transferred in. We are going to need to fill a lot of holes with next year's class and transfers, so we'll need to do better in the transfer area next year. But that is next year. https://d1baseball.com/recruiting/2021-22-newcomer-breakdowns-recruiting-classes-1-5/

Anyway, D1 Baseball Newcomer ranking is just an opinion, just as the Perfect Game 2021-22 class rankings after the draft is an opinion. But here's the difference between PG and D1 2021-2 rankings. If the data were accurate, part of the difference would be transfers; I believe that that is a large part of the difference but not all by any means. I colored the ACC teams. Given this, there is no sleeping on our rankings because there are a lot of hungry and talented teams out there. We need to worry about the ACC first and then play through whatever in the NCAAs.
1642257226819.png

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No excuse not to win ACC with all this draftable talent. (tic) A counterpoint is below.

We may have a lot of draftable players but as we have seen, what matters is on the field. We are going to score a lot of runs. But will our pitching and D be good enough to keep us in with the elite teams? Elite teams have elite pitching and we have seen that elite pitching can shut down elite offenses in the NCAAs. Look at Vandy's power loss last year. Many other examples.

Here's my main point for the morning. Preseason ranking has become even less certain with transfers. Duh.

D1 Baseball recently ranked the incoming "Newcomer" players for the season to include transfers. Not reassuring at all for GT. Given we have so much perceived talent, it may have been hard to improve with transfers. Chandler is the only guy projected to start who transferred in. We are going to need to fill a lot of holes with next year's class and transfers, so we'll need to do better in the transfer area next year. But that is next year. https://d1baseball.com/recruiting/2021-22-newcomer-breakdowns-recruiting-classes-1-5/

Anyway, D1 Baseball Newcomer ranking is just an opinion, just as the Perfect Game 2021-22 class rankings after the draft is an opinion. But here's the difference between PG and D1 2021-2 rankings. If the data were accurate, part of the difference would be transfers; I believe that that is a large part of the difference but not all by any means. I colored the ACC teams. Given this, there is no sleeping on our rankings because there are a lot of hungry and talented teams out there. We need to worry about the ACC first and then play through whatever in the NCAAs.
View attachment 11986
Well stated. I "appreciate" the preseason hype for what it is. But it doesn't get me that excited anymore. Too many things (unknown or unforeseen) can factor into the team's actual 'standing' among the relevant competition. The great thing about baseball... a 55 game schedule & post season will reveal our standing.

On plus side... we don't play Loiusville (perennial power) or ND (defending ACC reg season champ). The Coastal is there for the taking.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 Baseball looks to have us ranked #21. Makes sense given our performance last year (#43 rpi) and their rankings of newcomer (FR and transfers) classes. The write-up should follow.

@FredJacket - they have us winning Coastal and coming in 4th in the ACC.
1642510093957.png

Here's an old clip from 2017 pre-season. We have to prove it on the field. I like being ranked lower and over-achieving than the other way around.
1642510194099.png

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
This is the 2nd year we don't play Boston. But we played ND and Louisville last year.
Is that Normal? Do we normally not get to play everyone?

I ask as my 84 year old Aunt lives in Boston and it would be great to fly up to see her and her see GT & Christian play :)

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is the 2nd year we don't play Boston. But we played ND and Louisville last year.

I ask as my 84 year old Aunt lives in Boston and it would be great to fly up to see her and her see GT & Christian play :)
It’s normal. Not sure why Boston College is not on the schedule two years in a row. We did play them in Chestnut Hill three years ago and took a weekend series from them.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
D1 Baseball looks to have us ranked #21. Makes sense given our performance last year (#43 rpi) and their rankings of newcomer (FR and transfers) classes. The write-up should follow.

@FredJacket - they have us winning Coastal and coming in 4th in the ACC.
View attachment 11992

Here's an old clip from 2017 pre-season. We have to prove it on the field. I like being ranked lower and over-achieving than the other way around.
View attachment 11993
Guess we have to play the season 😂. I think it’s nice to be considered one of the top teams in the country. I think we are better than at least 7 teams they ranked ahead of us, but considering we didn’t finish in their top 25 we definitely aren’t getting overlooked. All in all I think it’s a fair list as far as lists go.

JacketOff2

Banned

Last year every ACC team played 12 conference series instead of the normal 10 because of Covid, BC just happened to be the one that got left out on our schedule. It is a bit weird they didn’t put them on the schedule this year because of that fact, but you generally only play the Atlantic teams outside of Clemson every other year. So I’d expect BC to come to Atlanta next year, and Tech go to Boston in 2025.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Finally...media make up day and now everyone has a picture.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
They look perfect! Gnarly... with a hint of nerdyness.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

42 pictures and a 40 person roster limit ........