2022 NCAA Football Rules Changes

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
2030 rule changes:

- No team will be allowed to get up by more than 10 points so as to not hurt the losing team's feelings. If the losing team goes 4 downs without gaining the 1st down, or is intercepted or fumbled to the defense, the ball will be placed on their own 25 yard line where they will restart their drive.

- Blocking on the lines will be eliminated in favor of playing patty cake. If two players are engaged in a game of patty cake, one player may whisper "I love you" to the other. If the other player does not immediately whisper "I love you" back, this is a 5 yard penalty from the spot of the foul.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
2030 rule changes:

- No team will be allowed to get up by more than 10 points so as to not hurt the losing team's feelings. If the losing team goes 4 downs without gaining the 1st down, or is intercepted or fumbled to the defense, the ball will be placed on their own 25 yard line where they will restart their drive.

- Blocking on the lines will be eliminated in favor of playing patty cake. If two players are engaged in a game of patty cake, one player may whisper "I love you" to the other. If the other player does not immediately whisper "I love you" back, this is a 5 yard penalty from the spot of the foul.
Flag or two hand touch?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No, you brought up the option in a very thinly veiled “I told you so“ type of swipe. It had no relevance to Georgia Tech or rule changes in 2022. That’s what I took issue with, and next time I’ll just say it and save us the trouble.

I was and still remain a huge fan of option football. I was saddened immensely when CPJ retired. That being said, this particular rule change will impact option teams far more heavily than non-option teams. Option teams rely on smaller, more athletic linemen that can get upfield and cut the linebackers to open holes up the middle. It utilizes its WRs and ABs to cut the edge to allow perimeter runs. Cut blocking IS used by all schemes, but not with the prevalence it is used in the 3O. IMO, this rule may not have been aimed solely at the option teams, but it will affect them the most.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dodd once proposed that the team ahead would have to kick off regardless of which team scored. Not sure if he was serious but I remember it being discussed
or what was his reasoning. Obviously no one else thought it was a good idea.

JacketFan137

Banned
I was and still remain a huge fan of option football. I was saddened immensely when CPJ retired. That being said, this particular rule change will impact option teams far more heavily than non-option teams. Option teams rely on smaller, more athletic linemen that can get upfield and cut the linebackers to open holes up the middle. It utilizes its WRs and ABs to cut the edge to allow perimeter runs. Cut blocking IS used by all schemes, but not with the prevalence it is used in the 3O. IMO, this rule may not have been aimed solely at the option teams, but it will affect them the most.
happened in preseason this week in the nfl and has turned into a big discussion over there after an injury to a top draft pick although the cut was legal even by these new rules. in the nfl it is largely used on short yardage, quick slants, rb’s taking on blitzing backers in pass pro etc. it’s not just used by option teams but the outside zone is one of the pillars of the offense and that is largely predicated on a big cut block springing open the play

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Nobody was saying anything negative about your precious option offense, it is a fact that the new blocking rules will make it harder to block for an option offense, and if CPJ was still here it would have made it more difficult to run his offense.
We all know that. The option presented sufficient headaches for P-5 defenses that it's been effectively rule-changed out of existence at the P-5 level. And it may soon disappear altogether.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand the whole infatuation with taunting in the first place but I sure don’t think the game needs to be turned into a stoic event. We’re long past the illusions of building character through sportsmanship here.
Interesting thought though... if kids are now being paid, can they also be fined?
Not necessarily for on field “taunting” stuff but maybe?
No because there is no salary with the school/NCAA

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
DBs are going to get crushed with the new blocking rules. You will see way more injuries to this group than in the past, and much longer runs on student body left/right runs.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
happened in preseason this week in the nfl and has turned into a big discussion over there after an injury to a top draft pick although the cut was legal even by these new rules. in the nfl it is largely used on short yardage, quick slants, rb’s taking on blitzing backers in pass pro etc. it’s not just used by option teams but the outside zone is one of the pillars of the offense and that is largely predicated on a big cut block springing open the play
It really hurts RPO systems. If you've got a dive play mixed with a slant pattern, I want my OL cut blocking the defenders on the side where the slant is going. It's a simple scheme and opens up the passing lane immensely due to the fact the QB doesn't have to worry about his pass being batted down by a DL. Now I know the new rules don't really affect that scenario, but the blocking pattern is a schematic decision to open up a play. Same thing that CPJ used to do here, same thing many coaches around college football do. IF cut blocking eventually gets phased out, its going to be much harder opening up a play. Not to mention many tunnel screens utilize cut blocking on corners and line backers to spring the WR free.

JacketFan137

Banned
It really hurts RPO systems. If you've got a dive play mixed with a slant pattern, I want my OL cut blocking the defenders on the side where the slant is going. It's a simple scheme and opens up the passing lane immensely due to the fact the QB doesn't have to worry about his pass being batted down by a DL. Now I know the new rules don't really affect that scenario, but the blocking pattern is a schematic decision to open up a play. Same thing that CPJ used to do here, same thing many coaches around college football do. IF cut blocking eventually gets phased out, its going to be much harder opening up a play. Not to mention many tunnel screens utilize cut blocking on corners and line backers to spring the WR free.
yeah no doubt. i think it’s not the worst thing for offenses to get some more rules to slow it down since it seems like the vast majority of the rule changes each off season are geared toward making offenses better/making defense harder. i’m sure things will get adjusted and coaches will find ways to flirt with the line as close as possible (see: clemson blocking 7 yards down field and their wr’s holding like crazy on bubbles)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
also cmon man we don’t run the offense anymore we don’t have to defend it with the same talking points. chop blocks are illegal because there is empirical evidence that they cause more injuries. open field cut blocks basically have the same mechanism of injury so it’s not really a stretch to act like they are dangerous. this is also why there’s rules against hitting quarterbacks low. it’s just not a very safe place to get hit, especially in the situations this rule is referring too

here is an article about chop blocking penalties reducing knee injuries. not a stretch to think cut blocking penalties may be similar results when this is said and done
Chop blocking and cut blocking are ABSOLUTELY not the same thing. Chop blocking is going low when the defender is already engaged up high, usually from the side, and is very dangerous. open field cut blocking is generally face up and the defender sees it coming. You can get hurt with any type of contact or even non-contact, but don't equate cut blocking with chop blocking. Also, chop blocking is not blocking below the waist, which is also illegal and dangerous.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
other offenses use cut blocking but i think if we’re being objective here no offense uses the cut blocking as often as old school option offenses. it’s a fundamental part of the offense while other offenses tend to just use it as a tool.

also cmon man we don’t run the offense anymore we don’t have to defend it with the same talking points. chop blocks are illegal because there is empirical evidence that they cause more injuries. open field cut blocks basically have the same mechanism of injury so it’s not really a stretch to act like they are dangerous. this is also why there’s rules against hitting quarterbacks low. it’s just not a very safe place to get hit, especially in the situations this rule is referring too

here is an article about chop blocking penalties reducing knee injuries. not a stretch to think cut blocking penalties may be similar results when this is said and done
Guess we should also ban tackling below the waist according to popular logic.

JacketFan137

Banned
it is already illegal to hit the qb below the waist in the pocket in the nfl.

i think the main goal of those kind of rule changes is the blind side blocks/tackles that really do damage. inside the tackle box means that any hit is likely on a guy that is prepared for contact and can adjust. when you’re getting blind sided as a qb in the pocket or a motion man coming across the line and shooting at your knees that is just not safe and is just introducing more opportunities for lasting knee damage

in the open field as a ball carrier there’s a lot more flexibility to get out of the way and a defender is just trying to get you down by any means necessary. the defender in that situation can’t help it. when you’re doing the blocks that are now illegal from this rule change, you don’t HAVE to shoot at the knees to block someone

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
All football contact is "dangerous". Seems little to suggest that cut blocks are more dangerous than any other kind of block, or that the rate of injuries decrease as cut blocks are made illegal.

JacketFan137

Banned
Chop blocking and cut blocking are ABSOLUTELY not the same thing. Chop blocking is going low when the defender is already engaged up high, usually from the side, and is very dangerous. open field cut blocking is generally face up and the defender sees it coming. You can get hurt with any type of contact or even non-contact, but don't equate cut blocking with chop blocking. Also, chop blocking is not blocking below the waist, which is also illegal and dangerous.
i know it’s not the same thing but the mechanism of injury is still the same meaning either way the guy is getting hit in the knees. i don’t want to doxx myself because of some people on this site worry me but this is something i have a lot of education and experience with. if you walk into any physical therapist’s office i can promise you they will say any hitting around the knees is very dangerous regardless of if it’s a tackle, cut block, chop block whatever.

these rules are coming in cause anything that can be done to limit contact to the knees is a good thing as far as player safety is concerned

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is a great article about cut blocks in the NFL and player safety. It makes a couple of salient points:

1. There is little hard data suggesting cut blocks are more dangerous than other contact, BUT:
2. NFL teams are convinced they are dangerous so they don't allow them during practice sessions to keep their players "intact."

This means that players face a situation in games they rarely practice, which starts the downward spiral of self fulfilling prophecy in regards to player injuries and cut blocks.

In the college world of today, player safety is quickly becoming THE hot button issue, so we will most likely see a continued shift towards rules that benefit the safety of a player, even if that benefit is based in perception, and not really tangible.

JacketFan137

Banned
In the college world of today, player safety is quickly becoming THE hot button issue, so we will most likely see a continued shift towards rules that benefit the safety of a player, even if that benefit is based in perception, and not really tangible.
especially for guys not getting paid. i know NIL exists but still the vast majority of guys in ncaa especially non factory schools are getting little compensation while playing a dangerous game. anything that can be done to attempt to prevent long lasting knee damage is a good thing for me.

just because football was played a certain way in the past doesn’t mean we just have to stay that way forever. there are plenty of good and legal hits and blocks being performed today under the new rulesets so i always get confused when people act like the game is falling apart because of safety rules

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
especially for guys not getting paid. i know NIL exists but still the vast majority of guys in ncaa especially non factory schools are getting little compensation while playing a dangerous game. anything that can be done to attempt to prevent long lasting knee damage is a good thing for me.

just because football was played a certain way in the past doesn’t mean we just have to stay that way forever. there are plenty of good and legal hits and blocks being performed today under the new rulesets so i always get confused when people act like the game is falling apart because of safety rules

At issue here is that it gives a pretty sizable competitive advantage to the factories that can recruit all world OL/DL. By eliminating the equalizer that was smaller linemen utilizing cut blocks in a zone scheme, it forces schools to play their smaller OL straight up against the bigger DL. In the absence of any real data suggesting a correlation between cut blocks and increased injury probability, this seems an ill informed decision that could hurt any chance of competitive balance between the top tier of P5 and everyone else...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
i know it’s not the same thing but the mechanism of injury is still the same meaning either way the guy is getting hit in the knees. i don’t want to doxx myself because of some people on this site worry me but this is something i have a lot of education and experience with. if you walk into any physical therapist’s office i can promise you they will say any hitting around the knees is very dangerous regardless of if it’s a tackle, cut block, chop block whatever.

these rules are coming in cause anything that can be done to limit contact to the knees is a good thing as far as player safety is concerned
Not the same mechanism of injury, sorry. It's just not. Chop blocking is generally from the side, not straight on. Chop blocking is done when the player is already engaged high, defenseless, with an inability to disengage to protect themselves. Chop blocks are generally not expected (because they're illegal) so the player never sees it coming. All are reasons why there is no comparison between cut blocking and chop blocking.

Any time you make contact with a vulnerable joint there is risk for injury. Football is an inherently dangerous sport. I would posit that cut blocking is no more dangerous than any other type of blocking. Pancake blocks have the player thrown to the ground and then the blocker fall on him.