2022 NCAA Football Rules Changes

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

ON CHANGES TO BLOCKING BELOW THE WAIST​

Blocking below the waist is now almost completely outlawed, a decision in the direction of player safety.
"The first requirement to block below the waist is that a player is stationary at the snap inside the tackle box," McDaid said. "Quarterbacks and running back almost always are in the tackle box. The tackle box goes all the way to the end line behind the offense. Depth doesn't matter. A wing back needs to get a piece of the tackle that's in the tackle box. Some part of the body needs to shade a part of the tackle to be considered in the tackle box.
"Tight ends can no longer legally block low under any circumstance. If you talk to coaches, this is a fairly big change for them. They'll have to scheme differently because of this rule change. Anyone split out wide can no longer block low under any circumstance. Anyone in motion, can not block low under any circumstance. Linemen, at their initial line surge, can block low against an opponent as long as it's not a clip."

Wham and seal blocks are outlawed outside of the tackle box.
"The only defenders that can block low are defensive linemen that are in the tackle box. If a defensive player is shading a tackle that’s in the tackle box, that defensive player is considered in the tackle. No other defender can block low in any circumstance. On a screen play or stretch play, a defender coming in and taking out the lead blocker by going low, that’s no longer part of the game. That defender cannot go low.”

ON TAUNTING​

"Taunting during a touchdown run, we're now treating that as a live ball foul," McDaid said. "If a player taunts or holds the ball (out) at the 6-yard line, we're going to take the touchdown off the board and penalize the team form the 6-yard line. When we did that, there were two circumstances we didn't recognize form penalty enforcement. The intent is we're going to enforce like a personal foul. The two circumstances were -- receivers on a punt and the defense on a passing play. If we now have a live ball unsportsmanlike conduct foul ,it now gets enforced just like a personal foul. There was an inequity with the two situations."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
if we still ran the option that blocking rule would present a major problem

IMO, this is the result of a concerted effort by the factories to widen the advantage that their recruiting gives them. By limiting cut blocking, it puts a premium on OL recruiting, which necessarily means fewer teams will be able to keep up in the arms races for OL.

JacketFan137

Banned
IMO, this is the result of a concerted effort by the factories to widen the advantage that their recruiting gives them. By limiting cut blocking, it puts a premium on OL recruiting, which necessarily means fewer teams will be able to keep up in the arms races for OL.
i do think it is a legitimate safety issue for receivers and motion men to be cutting people all the time, but i do agree with you that this ultimately stands to benefit the big teams more so than the little guys.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
the rules of knee ligaments, the time it takes to build depth and not having enough money to pay our players market rate.
The transfer DE from Memphis at least said yes to us for a day. Then he went to Auburn. Now he is in hunt for first team.

$$ is why we can't have nice things..

Rules change - we don't need Change. We need Benjamin's.

JacketFan137

Banned
Ha! Nicely deflected. Just found it funny how you obsess about people who obsess about the option but keep finding a way to bring it up. You’re right though... good for us power five teams that we don’t have to worry about those pesky Citadel types anymore.
in this case it is relevant because no other offense really relies on those blocks to that extent. this would be a real road block that would hurt the option offense a little bit. it wouldn’t render it completely useless by any means and i’m sure some tweaks could be made to the offense but looking back so many of the runs that got to the perimeter were often sprung by a huge cut block on the outside.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
in this case it is relevant because no other offense really relies on those blocks to that extent. this would be a real road block that would hurt the option offense a little bit. it wouldn’t render it completely useless by any means and i’m sure some tweaks could be made to the offense but looking back so many of the runs that got to the perimeter were often sprung by a huge cut block on the outside.
That's just not true. All offenses utilized cut blocking all over the field. It was a little more obvious with CPJ's spread option because he utilized that blocking technique much more effectively and ferociously than most other coaches. You can look at some of his acolytes and see that the blocking schemes were being used differently as the rules changed.

That being said, until there is empirical evidence showing open-field cut blocking was inherently dangerous or caused more lower-body injuries (which doesn't exist or at least didn't exist in 2018), this is more of the same. It looks dangerous, therefore it must be dangerous. Not necessarily true.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
The taunting bull crap is stupid. Let the kids have fun. Hell let them flick off the other team as they are scoring. Make football fun again. I want more The Longest Yard and less peewee "sportsmanship BS". Stop treating them like kids and let them taunt the inferior team. Sports is about dominance. Showing you are superior over someone else.

JacketFan137

Banned
That's just not true. All offenses utilized cut blocking all over the field. It was a little more obvious with CPJ's spread option because he utilized that blocking technique much more effectively and ferociously than most other coaches. You can look at some of his acolytes and see that the blocking schemes were being used differently as the rules changed.

That being said, until there is empirical evidence showing open-field cut blocking was inherently dangerous or caused more lower-body injuries (which doesn't exist or at least didn't exist in 2018), this is more of the same. It looks dangerous, therefore it must be dangerous. Not necessarily true.
other offenses use cut blocking but i think if we’re being objective here no offense uses the cut blocking as often as old school option offenses. it’s a fundamental part of the offense while other offenses tend to just use it as a tool.

also cmon man we don’t run the offense anymore we don’t have to defend it with the same talking points. chop blocks are illegal because there is empirical evidence that they cause more injuries. open field cut blocks basically have the same mechanism of injury so it’s not really a stretch to act like they are dangerous. this is also why there’s rules against hitting quarterbacks low. it’s just not a very safe place to get hit, especially in the situations this rule is referring too

here is an article about chop blocking penalties reducing knee injuries. not a stretch to think cut blocking penalties may be similar results when this is said and done

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The taunting bull crap is stupid. Let the kids have fun. Hell let them flick off the other team as they are scoring. Make football fun again. I want more The Longest Yard and less peewee "sportsmanship BS". Stop treating them like kids and let them taunt the inferior team. Sports is about dominance. Showing you are superior over someone else.
I think there might be a point where it goes over the line, but "holding the ball out at the six-yard line" is a ridiculous reason to throw a flag.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand the whole infatuation with taunting in the first place but I sure don’t think the game needs to be turned into a stoic event. We’re long past the illusions of building character through sportsmanship here.
Interesting thought though... if kids are now being paid, can they also be fined?
Not necessarily for on field “taunting” stuff but maybe?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
other offenses use cut blocking but i think if we’re being objective here no offense uses the cut blocking as often as old school option offenses. it’s a fundamental part of the offense while other offenses tend to just use it as a tool.

also cmon man we don’t run the offense anymore we don’t have to defend it with the same talking points. chop blocks are illegal because there is empirical evidence that they cause more injuries. open field cut blocks basically have the same mechanism of injury so it’s not really a stretch to act like they are dangerous. this is also why there’s rules against hitting quarterbacks low. it’s just not a very safe place to get hit, especially in the situations this rule is referring too

here is an article about chop blocking penalties reducing knee injuries. not a stretch to think cut blocking penalties may be similar results when this is said and done
A defender that gets chop blocked was already engaged with a blocker up high, so they are essentially a defenseless player to the low block taking their legs out. A cut block, having only one blocker involved, means the defender isn't defenseless and they can react as the block is thrown to deflect with their hands or brace themselves. Similar to the below the knee rule on quarterbacks - if he's standing still you can't (and a bunch of other specific criteria), but if he's running you can.

Anecdotal, but I saw far more injuries from guys getting rolled up on while engaged in a block or tackle than I ever saw from cut blocking.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Inj
Punters out for the game?
Injury to punters are caused by illegal contact which is a penalty. If they fake an injury without contact then change of possession has naturally occurred. This would be an outlier anyway.
The fake injuries are most often late in the game to slow offense momentum.

JacketFan137

Banned
You might want to re-read the article. It isn't as definitive as you assume. In fact there was no statistical significance to the variance of injuries between the years. Operative word is "may".
they started to find some results after only 2 years. i’m sure with a longer experiment more results would be found.

still i don’t see why this is such a controversial statement. getting hit in the knees sucks and it results in injuries. there’s a reason nfl and college teams don’t have guys cutting each other all camp, there’s a reason penalties are being made