2022 Atlanta Braves

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I don’t think he would have said that if it was going up a few million for inflation.

Braves second in total and average attendance based on this

Maybe I missed something but how did the Mets only have 72 home games this season? Did they play some games with no fans?
NY Mets were 47-34 at Citi. The Syracuse Mets played 72 at home.

I have heard Liberty Media might go up to 181 m.? That’s a nice increase if true. However, Alex has said the last four years it’s going up and usually it has at 4%. That’s the typical MLB salary inflation rate average. Therefore without a number given, we will have to wait and see unless he has more specifics. He usually sets some aside for the trading deadline.

The American household is a 3% inflationary increase.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Adam Duvall wins a gold glove in RF. Freddie Freeman wins a g.g, at 1B.

Braves sent a Q.O. to Freeman, he now will have until November 17 to decide whether or not to accept the offer. If he accepts, he will receive $18.4MM next season, and can’t be traded until June 15, 2022.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
How does Snitker not even get nominated for manager of the year?

At the All-Star Break, the team picked to finish 4th in the NLEast was sitting at 3rd place, sub-500, lost their best player, lost their best pitcher, big name free agent signing was suspended, and you’re on your 3rd outfield iteration.

Snitker kept the team together despite a rotating cast of no-name players, got them to the post season, outcoached Counsell in a series where the Brewers were the hot pick, then beat the Dodgers in a series that most assumed was a formality, and finally won a World Series after your remaining best pitcher breaks his leg and he had to throw two bullpen games.

What’s the argument for Shildt, Counsell, or Kapler over that?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Correction: Freddie Freeman was a runner up for a Golden Glove at 1B.

Ozzie Albies was a runner up at 2B for a G.G.

Max Fried(P)won his second straight and Adam Duvall(RF)won his first, Golden Glove.

Snitker said Fried could have been a fine CF, if not for pitching.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Back up … AA didn’t win executive of the year? WHAT?

The argument is that the Giants are the biggest surprise in baseball? How about the team that was picked 4th in their division, then were underdogs in every single playoff series, but eventually won it all?

What about the guy who traded for the NLCS MVP while he was injured and got him for a bag of balls? Or the guy who rebuilt the outfield 3 times?

The Braves run was so improbable that Disney should make a movie about it. Yet everyone in baseball seems to ignore it rather than celebrate it. It’s like they all believe the Braves we’re a fluke winner.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Back up … AA didn’t win executive of the year? WHAT?

The argument is that the Giants are the biggest surprise in baseball? How about the team that was picked 4th in their division, then were underdogs in every single playoff series, but eventually won it all?

What about the guy who traded for the NLCS MVP while he was injured and got him for a bag of balls? Or the guy who rebuilt the outfield 3 times?

The Braves run was so improbable that Disney should make a movie about it. Yet everyone in baseball seems to ignore it rather than celebrate it. It’s like they all believe the Braves we’re a fluke winner.
I didn’t just post this for likes. Someone please explain how this isn’t a flat-out middle finger to the Braves organization.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I didn’t just post this for likes. Someone please explain how this isn’t a flat-out middle finger to the Braves organization.
I’m in total agreement with you! There’s nothing I can say, you nailed it.
It isn’t right. Those trades he made in their totality equal the most important G.M. work done during a season in the 55 years of Braves Baseball in Atlanta. IMHO.

Snitker has won Manager of the Year, previously. Like you said, that was a joke not giving it to him this year. I mean, what more could he have possibly done?
Acuna, Soroka, Morton lost for basically the W.S., had to use 7 different catchers at one point, and an entire OF. How could a manager get more out of Jackson, Smith, Martin, Minter, Ynoa, Davidson, Mueller, et al? Holy Cow, we had some bad beef in the first half(Sandoval and all the dudes from the waiver wire who were let go without a trade). Most clubhouses would have caved in. He kept the roof over the fort.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
ahh. Here‘s the counter argument: Braves didn’t deserve to win.

Boras is just ticked off because the players he represents are not getting the huge contracts he wants.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
ahh. Here‘s the counter argument: Braves didn’t deserve to win.

Ah, the league got together to gift the Braves a title? Got it. Didn't realize the Braves acquired the baseball equivalent of Lebron at the deadline.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m in total agreement with you! There’s nothing I can say, you nailed it.
It isn’t right. Those trades he made in their totality equal the most important G.M. work done during a season in the 55 years of Braves Baseball in Atlanta. IMHO.

Snitker has won Manager of the Year, previously. Like you said, that was a joke not giving it to him this year. I mean, what more could he have possibly done?
Acuna, Soroka, Morton lost for basically the W.S., had to use 7 different catchers at one point, and an entire OF. How could a manager get more out of Jackson, Smith, Martin, Minter, Ynoa, Davidson, Mueller, et al? Holy Cow, we had some bad beef in the first half(Sandoval and all the dudes from the waiver wire who were let go without a trade). Most clubhouses would have caved in. He kept the roof over the fort.
Isn't the voting for these awards completed prior to the postseason? If so, then I can understand leaving Snitker and AA off as the Braves were viewed as a team hit with an injury bug that got lucky with some trades and got hot at the right time to take advantage of a middling NL East, but faced an uphill battle in the post-season.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It’s being reported that Freeman’s agency wants 200 m. over 6 years. The Braves previously known offer was 5 yrs. @ 135 m.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s being reported that Freeman’s agency wants 200 m. over 6 years. The Braves previously known offer was 5 yrs. @ 135 m.

Sporttrac has him pegged at $27.1 M per year with an expected contract of 5 years @ $135 M. That would make him the highest paid 1B in baseball. So the Braves weren't lowballing him.

Paul Goldschmidt is probably the best benchmark and he went 5 years @ $130 M (in 2020). Stats are similar last season: .300 avg vs. .295, .896 OPS vs .883, 31 vs 31 HRs. Freeman strikes out less, but
Goldschmidt had 50% more doubles. Goldschmidt was also 32 when signing that contract.

The relationship probably makes the Braves go 6 years @ $162 M, an I can't imagine he'll get much more than that elsewhere. Certainly no where near $200 M.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I can see him getting 6 years, over $200 millo from some jack-leg team that wants to win the press conference. You can't see the Yankees doing that? SF maybe? Braves can't expect to underpay Albies, Acuna, and Fred-E.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Braves announced Monday that they’ve signed veteran catcher Manny Pinato a two-year contract worth $8MM. (Atlanta is one of the few organizations that publicly discloses financial terms.) Pina will earn $3.5MM in 2022 and $4.5MM in 2023. The contract also has a $4MM club option for the 2024 season, which does not come with a buyout. Pina is a client of Rep 1 Baseball.