2022-23 GTWBB

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
There are more women in this pic than were GT students when I applied at GT. Of course, there were no black students at that time. Title IX and, eventually, SCOTUS decisions brought us to this point. I am happy with the changes.

Did you start in the early fifties? :)
I started in 1964 and there were about 75 female students; about 50 in the freshman class. I also had classes with a couple of American black students and there were a small number of international blacks. I think the Women's basketball team started about that time - I knew a woman a couple of years behind me that played on it.

Bob
THWG

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I started in 1964 and there were about 75 female students; about 50 in the freshman class. I also had classes with a couple of American black students and there were a small number of international blacks. I think the Women's basketball team started about that time - I knew a woman a couple of years behind me that played on it.

Bob
THWG
I graduated high school in 1961 and was told by recruiter there were less than a dozen female students. One of my Ga State classmates was a GT majorette.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Bob
THWG
I was also in that class. Fellow rats.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I graduated high school in 1961 and was told by recruiter there were less than a dozen female students. One of my Ga State classmates was a GT majorette.
I was a student at GSU in the early 2000s and one of my friends was a majorette at GT too. This was prior to GSU having a football team so I think that was fairly common for cheerleaders, majorettes, band, etc.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Loretta Butler was a hired twirler several years and was not a student. Female cheerleaders, homecoming queens, etc, were not Tech students until early 60's. In 1964 there were about 65 coeds and over 6000 men. Pretty good odds for the girls.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Loretta Butler was a hired twirler several years and was not a student. Female cheerleaders, homecoming queens, etc, were not Tech students until early 60's. In 1964 there were about 65 coeds and over 6000 men. Pretty good odds for the girls.
My wife graduated from Headland HS in 1964 and was accepted at GT. She chose App St because it was not as daunting to be in a female minority. She has a PhD in Math Ed.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I saw some bad things from profs with women students. one kept telling her she didn't belong and was taking the bread out of some families mouth. I have a lot of respect for those women.
Funny enough, those women (and today's women) helped the United States become the most innovative and productive country in the world. Not exactly taking the bread out of some families' mouths. I'm sure both of your examples barely scrape the surface of what early GT women experienced.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Kaelyn Carroll // Bay State Jaguars / BlueStar30 //Tabor Academy 2025 // 6’3” // Wing // Dedham, MA // Unofficial visits: UNC, N.C. State, Duke, Louisville, Maryland, Mich., BC. // Offers: GT, Ala., WF, Mich., BC, Wisconsin, Villanova, Virginia Tech, Vanderbilt, N.C. State, and Harvard.

Carroll is rated as a 4-star prospect and the No. 17 player in the 2025 class by ESPN and is listed as the fifth best player (one spot behind Black) in New England by Prep Girls Hoops for the ‘25 class as well.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
2023-2024 GT WBB Roster:
5 Tonie Morgan, PG(So.)5’9”
13 Kayla Blackshear, BF(Jr.-R.)6’1”
15 Avyonce Carter, SF-BF(Sr.)5’10”
25 Kara Dunn, SF-2G(So.)5’11”
14 Raeven Boswell, 2G-PG(So.)5’11”
22 Ines Noguero, 2G(So.)5’9”
11 Aixa Wone Aranaz, C-BF(Sr. 5th year Sr.)6’3”
D’Asia Thomas, BF-SF(Fr.)6’2”
Jada Bediako, C-BF(Fr.)6’4”
ARIADNA TERMIS CASAS, C(Fr.)6’6”
RUSNE AUGUSTINAITE, 2G(Fr.)6’0”
Sydney Johnson, G(Sr. 5th yr.)5’9”.…..#14 @ Boston Univ.
1 Caitlyn Wilson, 2G(Sr. 5th yr.)5’10”
4 Anisa Clark, G(Sr.)5’7”

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
2023-2024 GT WBB Roster:
On paper this looks like a good roster. Fingers crossed.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
2023-2024 GT WBB Roster:

Aranaz is back? I thought she had left.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
On paper this looks like a good roster. Fingers crossed.
It’s a bit better than last year, because the nucleus of the starters have a year playing together under their socks. Sydney Johnson can score much like Cam was touted to do at GT. Wilson is a 3 pt. shooter, can bring some defense & experience. Thomas is the newcomer that can help Blackshear with her long arms and versatility. Rusne is another shot maker that can help the offense. Dunn , Morgan should “bee” the glue to the chemistry. I’m looking for Carter to get more playing time. Aranaz has to get more forceful on the boards & for easy buckets inside. The two Freshmen bigs need time to develop.

Actually posted this roster because the Tech website under ramblinwreck dot com has not been updated before the foreign trip starts in August.