2021 USMNT World Cup Qualification

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
I still love how Mexico’s keeper is Mexican Ted Mosby.

DgY4mZ1V4AA3UhL.jpg

slugboy

Staff member
The second half was all USA

Enjoy:

There are some Mexican players who should be disqualified for the next match. There have been multiple overlooked red cards for ElTri—both yesterday and through the tournament.

The Mexican goalie looked like he was about to cry after the second goal. Tito Martinez might not keep his job

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Ted “Ochoa” Mosby before the game: “Mexico is the mirror in which the United States wants to see itself.”

Pulisic during the game:

F3D25A52-8804-4FD6-9E8F-AD475A73717C.jpeg

Cold.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
The second half was all USA

Enjoy:

There are some Mexican players who should be disqualified for the next match. There have been multiple overlooked red cards for ElTri—both yesterday and through the tournament.

The Mexican goalie looked like he was about to cry after the second goal. Tito Martinez might not keep his job

Not to be dramatic, but this is the best I’ve seen the USMNT play. Crisp passing, fast ball movement, good pressure on the Mexican defense. Some really good opportunities that didn’t fall.

I’m almost afraid to say it, but this is a team that could hold its own with European squads. And I say that after just watching Italy - Switzerland earlier in the day.

Now watch them drop one to Jamaica.

slugboy

Staff member
Not to be dramatic, but this is the best I’ve seen the USMNT play. Crisp passing, fast ball movement, good pressure on the Mexican defense. Some really good opportunities that didn’t fall.

I’m almost afraid to say it, but this is a team that could hold its own with European squads. And I say that after just watching Italy - Switzerland earlier in the day.

Now watch them drop one to Jamaica.
The USMNT is missing a couple of key players against Jamaica—Miles Robinson (questionable red card) and McKennie (yellow card accumulation).

If I recall correctly, Jamaica has some speed, and we need to be strong on defense.

slugboy

Staff member
I didn’t mention this at the time, but I had mixed feelings watching the USMNT.
- We have a really talented team, with a few gaps, and they play pretty well together
- It’s a young-ish team that makes a lot of mistakes
- I turn around and watch Atlanta United, and it’s just not at the same level. I realize I’m comparing to a national team, but MLS seems to be fighting against having quality soccer in the US.

How is the WCQ not over yet? What are FIFA and CONCACAF trying to do with this process?

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn’t mention this at the time, but I had mixed feelings watching the USMNT.
- We have a really talented team, with a few gaps, and they play pretty well together
- It’s a young-ish team that makes a lot of mistakes
- I turn around and watch Atlanta United, and it’s just not at the same level. I realize I’m comparing to a national team, but MLS seems to be fighting against having quality soccer in the US.

How is the WCQ not over yet? What are FIFA and CONCACAF trying to do with this process?
No qualification is done yet. All qualified teams did so before their end of their qualification process. WC is in November this time, so WCQ is a little later than usual.

The debate on MLS selling players to Europe is a good one to have. My perspective is that the best thing for US Soccer is for the USMNT to be good. The best way to get the USMNT good is to have USMNT players in the top leagues. This means MLS has to sell it's best players to Europe and operate a 2nd tier league right now. But eventually that process will pay dividends and the popularity of the USMNT will increase the talent pool and MLS can sell top players while keeping high quality guys, improving the level of play.

I've only caught a few MLS games, but I'm been pleasantly surprised at the level of play. It seems about level with The Championship in the UK and I'd put it above Liga MX.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Probably the best place for this, as well. Tomorrow is match day 10 of 10 for UEFA. Italy is on top of their pentagonal but tied in points with Switzerland. Need to at least match Switzerland’s result to qualify. Swiss at home and the Azzurri are away.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Should have gotten 3 tonight. That’s one of those games that come back to bite you later (like Jorginho missing a penalty).

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
What the ****? Italy is matched with Portugal in the World Cup playoff? So basically because Jorginho missed a penalty against Switzerland, Italy will probably miss the World Cup for a second year. Canada will make it but the champions of Europe and a top 5 FIFA team won’t for a second time. It will be 12 years at least between Italian appearances. Bull****.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What the ****? Italy is matched with Portugal in the World Cup playoff? So basically because Jorginho missed a penalty against Switzerland, Italy will probably miss the World Cup for a second year. Canada will make it but the champions of Europe and a top 5 FIFA team won’t for a second time. It will be 12 years at least between Italian appearances. Bull****.
I'm pretty sure qualifying was more than 1 game. I guess Italy should have played better in qualification play.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm pretty sure qualifying was more than 1 game. I guess Italy should have played better in qualification play.
Undefeated.

That’s the problem with UEFA qualification. You go undefeated against top 20 competition and don’t make it. In CONCACAF you just need to draw Trinidad & Tobago.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Undefeated.

That’s the problem with UEFA qualification. You go undefeated against top 20 competition and don’t make it. In CONCACAF you just need to draw Trinidad & Tobago.
I guess I don't understand how qualification works. I thought it was a round-robin type of qualification games that determined who qualified for the World Cup.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Varies by confederation. In UEFA, you’re matched in a subgroup and 1 team makes it. So Italy (world #6) has to play Portugal (world #8). 1 makes it. Meanwhile Wales (world #18) has Scotland (world #38). 1 makes it.

In CONCACAF, there are 8 teams that play round robin (home and away) and the best 3 make it (4th place has a play-in game against Oceana- probably New Zealand world #110). World rankings of the bottom 4 in that group are #49, #57, #69, and #76.