2021 Uniform Debate

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Sure. But you have to get their attention first. Plus why would an 18 year old care?
Uniforms are for the alumni. These are the long term supporters of the program.

Why do kids go to Alabama and not Auburn? Alabama runs schemes that prepares kids for the NFL. Auburn does not. That’s why Malzahn was fired.

Geoff may recruit well. But he risks losing the fan base. I for one don’t care for the changes but, he and TStan are banking that younger alumni will pony up. Good luck with that.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Why do kids go to Alabama and not Auburn? Alabama runs schemes that prepares kids for the NFL. Auburn does not. That’s why Malzahn was fired.

Geoff may recruit well. But he risks losing the fan base. I for one don’t care for the changes but, he and TStan are banking that younger alumni will pony up. Good luck with that.
Wow. What the players put on their bodies is for you. Got it. :facepalm:

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

It’s only a problem if the alumni are shallow enough to care more about uniforms than winning.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we only look at the last 10 years, 116 teams would be irrelevant.

116 teams ARE irrelevant

There are what, maybe 15-20 teams out of 135 FBS teams that have any possibility of making the playoffs these days? If you enter the season knowing you have no shot at the playoffs, then you are irrelevant.

116 teams ARE irrelevant

There are what, maybe 15-20 teams out of 135 FBS teams that have any possibility of making the playoffs these days? If you enter the season knowing you have no shot at the playoffs, then you are irrelevant.
So what you are saying is that for maybe 2 years in the last 50, we have been relevant. And chances are really good we will stay "irrelevant." Thus I hate the playoffs. I watch Tech because I love the school and the thought that we actually have academics and still put a pretty good product on the field/court. Win 9 games go to a bowl and beat UGA and it has been a successful season to me. Win 3 and beat a number 8 Florida St. or win 1 and beat/tie number 1 Notre Dame and the season has a star next to it. When we turn College football into pro football, it is all over. And this obsession that we attract NFL players, a real long shot as maybe 1% of all College players turn pro, is what is really turning the game. Give me a Jerry Mays every time.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So what you are saying is that for maybe 2 years in the last 50, we have been relevant. And chances are really good we will stay "irrelevant." Thus I hate the playoffs. I watch Tech because I love the school and the thought that we actually have academics and still put a pretty good product on the field/court. Win 9 games go to a bowl and beat UGA and it has been a successful season to me. Win 3 and beat a number 8 Florida St. or win 1 and beat/tie number 1 Notre Dame and the season has a star next to it. When we turn College football into pro football, it is all over. And this obsession that we attract NFL players, a real long shot as maybe 1% of all College players turn pro, is what is really turning the game. Give me a Jerry Mays every time.

I support GT football because I love Georgia Tech. I have no expectations that we will be able to bridge the financial divide necessary to become a real player in the CFP year in and year out. IMO, if we can win 7-9 games a year and beat uga and Clemson every 3 years or so we are doing well. Barring a major paradigm shift in the world of CFB, I can't see any path forward where the 10-15 blue bloods don't continue to enrich themselves at the cost of parity within the sport. As long as the other 120 teams are content with the financial crumbs of being associated with those 10-15 teams, nothing changes.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

I started donating under Collins and I never set one foot in a GT classroom. 👀

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Missed opportunity.
Not a missed opportunity. We can tell them, but if they don't already know they won't care after we tell them.

Kids do not care about history. Kids want WHAT IS NOW.
You going to pay me?
How do I make money?
You got women for me?
What perks are there other than an education to coming here?

I have 7 friends that went D1. Every last one of them asked 3 of the 4 questions. One friend had the balls to ask the 1st question. Not always to a coach, but to leaders of the team, recruiters, and so on.
They care about looking good and being taken care of. It's a business decision. When kids say it's a business decision, they aren't talking about a effing degree🤣. They saying, momma getting a new car. Momma getting her mortgage/rent covered. They saying the perks outshine the other schools.
So no, nothing the football program does is for alumni. It is always for the next recruiting class.

It use to always be bait and switch on the players. Promise the moon and deliver some clouds. Now due to the transfer portal you have to spend more money to keep kids happy longer.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Four national championships? Home of Heisman? The Dodd Trophy for Coach of the Year? The Rice Trophy for AD of the Year? I can see why you think we don't have an amazing history.

FWIW, Tech was considered an icon of football in the late 50's and early 60's. The Dallas Cowboys uniform of today was copied from Georgia Tech as it was consider the most attractive uniform of the day. And the Cowboys have left it relatively unchanged for 60 years.
Look man let's be honest, that's not the same college football that is played today. That was all prior to the advent of money dictating winning and losing. It is 2021. Bobby Dodd is a relic and so is most of Tech's football success. 1990 was even a significantly different time in the sport.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Missed opportunity.
They simply don’t care about things that happened before their parents were even born. Our coaches make Millions to Recruit these kids and they know what it takes. Do you think Auburn and Clemson mention Heisman coached there when they recruit?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Unrelated to what y'all are talking about. I always thought it'd be cool if we had honeycomb stickers for the helmets. So instead of OSU buckeye leaves, you'd have a sprawling/growing honeycomb. I think it could look cool.

I like it. I also like the idea of a chrome tinted old gold "T"

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Dodd is a relic and so is most of Tech's football success. 1990 was even a significantly different time in the sport.
Bear Bryant is a relic too. But Bama is dedicated to winning and keeping its traditions alive.

The poster said we didn’t have a history and it’s not true. Tech is the only team mentioned in Bama‘s fight song. The biggest pep rally of the year was traditionally Auburn’s Wreck Tech. Our uniforms were iconic. And we made a decision to walk away from that. All of it.

Thats not the same as saying it never happened.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Bear Bryant is a relic too. But Bama is dedicated to winning and keeping its traditions alive.

The poster said we didn’t have a history and it’s not true. Tech is the only team mentioned in Bama‘s fight song. The biggest pep rally of the year was traditionally Auburn’s Wreck Tech. Our uniforms were iconic. And we made a decision to walk away from that. All of it.

Did you miss the part where Nick Saban is better than Bear Bryant? Bama has M O N E Y. Tech does not have alums that care about athletics at the same level and have the resources that they have. Auburn and Tech haven't played consistently for over 40 years. The history is just that, it's old and becoming more irrelevant as each national championship passes. The modern state of the program is bad as a whole. We are not classic as we have not maintained a winning tradition. It happened, but who does it matter to now? Only people over the age of 60.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

He didn't say we didn't have history, he said we didn't have an amazing history. While even that is debatable, he is correct in that for over 90% (my estimation) of non-GT football fans today, they couldn't tell you the last time GT won a natty. They probably have no clue that GT used to be a powerhouse. Other than being an AFLAC trivia question, few would know or care that Heisman coached at GT. Our last sustained success as a program was generations ago, and at some point, we have to either come to terms with that, or spend the boatloads of money necessary to become relevant again.

GTRoy

Georgia Tech Fan

Actually not true! The line reads "Go teach the Bulldogs to behave. Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave." So both uga and Tech are mentioned.

Your point is still totally valid, though.