2021 Uniform Debate

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 10279
So you all don't like this look? Tighten the sleeves. This is Tech.

1617629700979.png

I like this look better and this is Tech

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 10279
So you all don't like this look? Tighten the sleeves. This is Tech.
Nope. Yellow pants, gold hat. Nope.

I am all for removing all yellow from the program.

I wish we were named the Golden Jackets. I cannot stand any logo that has yellow in it. I refuse to buy any yellow merchandise. Gold, and black. Gold and white. Gold and navy for me.

I'm partial to the Gold we use on our helmets now.

Tbh none of us really know Lol. I know I’m biased with white and gold but I think we should just totally commit to owning that combo as a program. Thought we had it perfect in the Gailey years.
Don’t see how anyone could not want this View attachment 10285
This is basically the 70's and early 80's uniform with tighter sleeves and different highlights. And of course a gold shirt. If you look at the white jersey with gold pants from this period you will see. I do not like the gold numbers though. I am just hoping we come up with something different this year.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We do not have a uniform. We just wear whatever the Coach let's the 2 or 3 players he selects to decide each week, decide on. I agree that we once had one of the best, most recognizable uniforms in all of college football and missed a great opportunity to keep that unique branding identity. To me, this was something that cost us nothing, had tremendous branding/identity value and was fumbled away for lack of having a historian responsible for insuring adherence to such things on the staff.

That is why people refer to Alabama, Penn State, Southern Cal and Michigan as the gold standard of collegiate football uniforms, they rarely if ever screw around with changes to their uniform. Just think of the New York Yankees, Boston Celtics or Indianapolis Colts. Instant recognition. I often have to double check to see which team is actually Georgia Tech for some games. I know a lot of you could care less, but in my opinion, this is just another small/simple thing that detracts from our mission of being the best.

Go Jackets!

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the modern version of the 70s uniform.... this is basically what you're asking for.View attachment 10262

No thank you. This is an AWFUL look for the modern era. Once every 5 years as a throw back? Sure. Permanent? Hell no.
You could build off the helmet in this photo as an identify for branding.

When I think of classic and instantly recognizable college football uniforms, I mostly think of helmets. Michigan's winged helmet, Bama's Crimson with white stripe, Penn State's striped helmet, Notre Dame's golden helmets, USC's gold and cardinal, and Ohio State's silver with buckeye stickers, FSU's arrowhead, Texas' white helmet with orange longhorn. Some of those teams have changed uniform designs and played with unique helmets on occasion, but their main helmets are always instantly recognizable and iconic in many ways. You don't need to have the exact same uniform every year, but one consistent piece can become iconic. Also important to note that the aforementioned teams have had extensive success, which contributes to the brand of the helmet.

I'm also fully in favor of changing up helmets and uniforms as much as the players wish.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We do not have an amazing history in football like most want to think. It's good, but we are not some classic college football team.
Four national championships? Home of Heisman? The Dodd Trophy for Coach of the Year? The Rice Trophy for AD of the Year? I can see why you think we don't have an amazing history.

FWIW, Tech was considered an icon of football in the late 50's and early 60's. The Dallas Cowboys uniform of today was copied from Georgia Tech as it was consider the most attractive uniform of the day. And the Cowboys have left it relatively unchanged for 60 years.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Four national championships? Home of Heisman? The Dodd Trophy for Coach of the Year? The Rice Trophy for AD of the Year? I can see why you think we don't have an amazing history.

FWIW, Tech was considered an icon of football in the late 50's and early 60's. The Dallas Cowboys uniform of today was copied from Georgia Tech as it was consider the most attractive uniform of the day. And the Cowboys have left it relatively unchanged for 60 years.
I agree. But we view these things through a gold colored lens.

Harvard has some serious football history, same as princeton.

Kids today only care about what happened in their lifetime, and unless you have been ranked top 10 consistently for the past 10 years, or you are an easy party school the majority of kids will look past you.

This is a testament to what Collins has been able to do. Even getting a 5 star to visit (Mykel Williams) is a big deal in todays world.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree. But we view these things through a gold colored lens.

Harvard has some serious football history, same as princeton.

Kids today only care about what happened in their lifetime, and unless you have been ranked top 10 consistently for the past 10 years, or you are an easy party school the majority of kids will look past you.

This is a testament to what Collins has been able to do. Even getting a 5 star to visit (Mykel Williams) is a big deal in todays world.
If we only look at the last 10 years, 116 teams would be irrelevant.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

No one we are recruiting knows anything about that.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Modern times*

You cannot run out in 1970s uniforms when trying to attract new fans. Have to have flash. Think oregon ducks. Oregon wasn't a solid football team before 2000 and on. Thats due to flash. You will not attract young top talent by running out in those 1970s uniforms. Just saying.
I think it had more to do with the $$$ added by Nike.