2021 Schedule

gtfan021

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure why folks think we will beat Pitt. Kenny Picket is back and their defense is for real. UVA at UVA with a stout defense......I just don't see it.
Because without all of the bull**** calls in the game this year we would have won this game... This is with them having Pickett and their defense.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This kind of thing always leads to an over-under bet. I think we could win 5 or we could win 3. It'll probably come down to the breaks. One thing: why do we have to go after good teams for our out of conference games? We should stop that. Now. If KSU comes to Grant Field and wins - a distinct possibility - then things could go down hill in a hurry.

This. With uga, Clemson, UNC, and Miami every year, plus ND every few years, we don't need to chase P5 OoC opponents. Our SoS will be good enough that if we win the ACCCG with 1 loss, we should be in the playoffs. Chasing P5 OoC opponents isn't doing us any favors. When we get to the point that we are routinely winning 8-9 games, I could see bumping the SoS a tad, but not until then.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I learned a few things reading through these FAQs regarding the ACC schedule making. In particular, while I would prefer no divisions and top 2 teams meet for ACCCG, that isn't possible... per NCAA 'rules'. With 14 teams, ACC is forced to have divisions and division winners to compete in the ACCCG.

Why was there no consideration to adopting a model similar to that of the adjusted 2020 season, in which the teams competed in one division, with the top two finishers in the standings then advancing the ACC Football Championship Game?
Per NCAA rules, conferences must either play their championship game between division winners or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition among all members of the conference. The NCAA waived those parameters in 2020 due to pandemic, but the latter is not currently possible for the ACC during a “normal” year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This. With uga, Clemson, UNC, and Miami every year, plus ND every few years, we don't need to chase P5 OoC opponents. Our SoS will be good enough that if we win the ACCCG with 1 loss, we should be in the playoffs. Chasing P5 OoC opponents isn't doing us any favors. When we get to the point that we are routinely winning 8-9 games, I could see bumping the SoS a tad, but not until then.
Meh. I like the P5 clout. But, let's make sure it's home and home with Kansas, Arizona State, Washington State, Perdue, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, TCU, Texas Tech, Colorado, etc. They might have a decent team every once in a while, but most of these teams are less challenging than many G5 teams we play.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
As I stated before, 5 wins is probably going to have to be considered success next year, with 6 wins being exceeding expectations. I don’t like it, but that is where I believe we are.

If someone asked me to bet my life savings on over/under 5 wins, I would have to say under based on the coaching & discipline I have seen the first 2 years, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised at the team’s improvement in these areas, and if so, they can get to 6 wins, assuming injuries are not numerous. Gibbs will need to stay healthy.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I learned a few things reading through these FAQs regarding the ACC schedule making. In particular, while I would prefer no divisions and top 2 teams meet for ACCCG, that isn't possible... per NCAA 'rules'. With 14 teams, ACC is forced to have divisions and division winners to compete in the ACCCG.

Why was there no consideration to adopting a model similar to that of the adjusted 2020 season, in which the teams competed in one division, with the top two finishers in the standings then advancing the ACC Football Championship Game?
Per NCAA rules, conferences must either play their championship game between division winners or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition among all members of the conference. The NCAA waived those parameters in 2020 due to pandemic, but the latter is not currently possible for the ACC during a “normal” year.

I have no interest in competing for the other ACC Championship Game spot against challengers who don't have to schedule Clemson yearly. At least head to head/division record are the main tiebreakers in the division setup. We can get destroyed by one of the most incredible programs in FBS, run the table in division play, and still get a shot at them in December.

I'd rotate interdivisional games yearly if I had my way. Playing Clemson is such a handicap in our ACC title chances.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
So since I am sort of a study of offenses I decided to try and figure it out. This past year we ran...get ready for it...the scheme that most Texas High schools run. Just hand off to the back and find a hole. Drop back pass with basic under routs and some long routes. I watched six different teams and we just looked exactly like theme....how ironic...high school football offense.
At least it’s a step up from a grammar school football offense.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All fan bases whine about the refs. The refs did not cost us one game last year. The Pittsburgh game was lost because we could not tackle and WE made junior high school mistakes. Can we beat them? Of course. Outside of Clemson every team in the ACC is basically in the same tier. We have just found many ways to lose because our talent level was low. It’s all about recruiting.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
All fan bases whine about the refs. The refs did not cost us one game last year. The Pittsburgh game was lost because we could not tackle and WE made junior high school mistakes. Can we beat them? Of course. Outside of Clemson every team in the ACC is basically in the same tier. We have just found many ways to lose because our talent level was low. It’s all about recruiting.
Yup. We let their no name running back put up Heisman numbers against us because we tackled like **** and looked completely clueless on D

LibertyTurns

Banned
I have no interest in competing for the other ACC Championship Game spot against challengers who don't have to schedule Clemson yearly. At least head to head/division record are the main tiebreakers in the division setup. We can get destroyed by one of the most incredible programs in FBS, run the table in division play, and still get a shot at them in December.

I'd rotate interdivisional games yearly if I had my way. Playing Clemson is such a handicap in our ACC title chances.
If we’re anywhere near being able to compete with Clemp we’re winning the coastal.

Jmonty71

Banned
I watched that game as well. There were a LOT of questionable calls, including some that benefitted us. We can blame the refs all we want, but we were a bad team last year.
100% correct. Blaming refs for bad calls is a loser mentality. Was there some calls that were terrible? Yes.... Did it cause us to lose every game, that we had bad calls? No. Ultimately, we have to make plays. We have to be smarter than false starting, when we are in the red zone. We killed ourselves with penalties. We beat ourselves, in a few games, last year. We simply do not have the talent to overcome foolish mistakes.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Any idea what capacity will be for it? Announced attendance was 45K in 2019. Would they curtain off the upper deck?