2021 Schedule

Some of us are still trying to figure out what offense we run.
So since I am sort of a study of offenses I decided to try and figure it out. This past year we ran...get ready for it...the scheme that most Texas High schools run. Just hand off to the back and find a hole. Drop back pass with basic under routs and some long routes. I watched six different teams and we just looked exactly like theme....how ironic...high school football offense.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
So since I am sort of a study of offenses I decided to try and figure it out. This past year we ran...get ready for it...the scheme that most Texas High schools run. Just hand off to the back and find a hole. Drop back pass with basic under routs and some long routes. I watched six different teams and we just looked exactly like theme....how ironic...high school football offense.
This seems completely correct. I tried to look up a thread on The Athletic where the scheme was described / named and it sounded like word salad.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
So tell me what "scheme" Friedgen ran? What "scheme" did Steve Sarkisian run at Alabama this year? Good offense isn't about schemes, it's about creating matchups with your better players against weaknesses in defensive opponents--like Sarkisian used Smith. The four posts above this one show zero understanding of this concept. The problem is we've had too few of those better players the last two years (like pretty much the OL), and the ones we've had are inexperienced (like Sims) or have gotten injured (like Gibbs) or both. But the critics can keep on with their hate posts--and showing their ingorance.

So tell me what "scheme" Friedgen ran? What "scheme" did Steve Sarkisian run at Alabama this year? Good offense isn't about schemes, it's about creating matchups with your better players against weaknesses in defensive opponents--like Sarkisian used Smith. The four posts above this one show zero understanding of this concept. The problem is we've had too few of those better players the last two years (like pretty much the OL), and the ones we've had are inexperienced (like Sims) or have gotten injured (like Gibbs) or both. But the critics can keep on with their hate posts--and showing their ingorance.
Friedgen ran a multiple scheme with option triple option as well as play action. He ran each scheme based on his players and QBs. Schemes are used when you can not match talent....like Georgia Tech most years. CPJs scheme was to get blocking numbers and force the defense to play with discipline which many defenses can not. Study offense for the last 40 years to understand.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Every OC runs a scheme of some sort. This ain't sandlot. The QB doesn't sit in the huddle and say "hey, you run 10 yards and cut in and I'll try to hit you with a pass..."

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to be the piece of glass. You can be the Coke bottle top.
You go button hook and pop out by the swing set.

Of course Friedgen had a scheme. It was option based with a consistent deep threat off of play action. What are we running now ? We can run trap or off tackle and then go RPO which this year meant a lot of Sims on the keeper because the WRs didn’t execute or work to get open. Our O looked lost most of the time presnap and there was no consistent flow to the play calling. The staff looks not ready for this level.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This schedule would have to be ranked as one of the toughest in FBS.

ETA... Miami's is up there too.
I would assume this to be the case with three top ten teams (in the preseason polls) UGA, Clemson, and Notre Dame and two others in the top 25 with UNC and Miami. I do not know the particulars about Virginia Tech, UVA, BC, and Pitt. I am pretty sure Duke is probably on the down slide for the present. Difficult to see Tech getting to a bowl with this schedule unless there is major improvement on both sides of the ball.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Well, at least I knew that about Miami, UNC, and we all know about Notre Dame, UGA, and Clemson. What I don't know much about are the middle of the pack ACC teams who probably don't know much about themselves either. The success of this season will be determined by how well we do against UVA, Pitt, Virginia Tech, BC, and to a lesser extent Duke. Win 3 or 4 of those 5 and we will have a pretty good year. Lose 3 or 4 of those 5 and it is going be rough.
Dead On. This is the year we "should" move ahead of the dukes, pitts, and uvas. I just side with the idea that we are more to their level than above them.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not sure why folks think we will beat Pitt. Kenny Picket is back and their defense is for real. UVA at UVA with a stout defense......I just don't see it.

There is a strong tendency to downplay the fact that everyone else is also trying to improve and win games. I've noted time and again that we spend less on football than any team in the ACC save Wake, and yet we somehow believe that we should be the third or fourth best team in the ACC cause "reasons." We DO have some advantages in our geographic location, but those are somewhat offset by having 5-6 factory schools within a 3-4 hour drive from ATL. It's going to take a combination of recruiting, coaching, AND spending to get us back to competitive against the top half of our schedule routinely.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
There is a strong tendency to downplay the fact that everyone else is also trying to improve and win games. I've noted time and again that we spend less on football than any team in the ACC save Wake, and yet we somehow believe that we should be the third or fourth best team in the ACC cause "reasons." We DO have some advantages in our geographic location, but those are somewhat offset by having 5-6 factory schools within a 3-4 hour drive from ATL. It's going to take a combination of recruiting, coaching, AND spending to get us back to competitive against the top half of our schedule routinely.
100%. The idea that money doesn't matter is absurd. We probably would need to spend MORE than Clemson just to reach their levels they have been at the past 7 years. So unless all of a sudden alumni are willing to pony up the BIG bucks, we will be at best a .500ish team. Some years we may hit 8-9 wins. That is the definition of mediocrity.

Hope somehow "juice" and the "ATL" will pull in multiple high 4 stars/ 5 stars otherwise our peak is probably floating around 20th-30th in the nation. Which is... cool? MONEY is key. Money doesn't guarantee a championship, but the lack of it guarantees you won't win a championship LOL. Basically you have to spend said amount of money to be in the club that can win it all, then you have to find the right coach, then the staff, then the QB, then the Lines, then the defense. No team outside of say, the top 10 in spending will win a NC ever again unless they make even more levels of college ball.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This kind of thing always leads to an over-under bet. I think we could win 5 or we could win 3. It'll probably come down to the breaks. One thing: why do we have to go after good teams for our out of conference games? We should stop that. Now. If KSU comes to Grant Field and wins - a distinct possibility - then things could go down hill in a hurry.