2021 Recruiting Class & Transfers In

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, if you are adding transfers coming in then you need to subtract transfers going out. We lost several 4 star players as well as some other really good players. The portal works both ways so in my opinion....we are ranked 45. But that said, I have always thought player development was more important. As well as recruiting to your scheme.
We have a unique scheme to recruit to?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Do we need a difference-maker at DT or do we need four solid anchors? I'd posit the middle of our DL from 2008 weren't difference-makers, but solid anchors that allowed our DE's (difference-makers) to make differences. If the guys we have now, and those coming in, grow into solid anchors, I think the ends we have (with strong LB support) will buoy this defense. What we're grooming for the middle now has the potential to be as good, if not better, than anything we've had since 2008/2009.
DTs really just need to get push and take up blockers, so when I say difference maker, that is what I am positing. It has been a while since we had really any high level DTs, but it is always going to be difficult with the quantity of the big nasties & even less that would qualify or want to attend GT. But, these guys are super critical for teams that reach the pinnacle of success.

I agree we had some solid guys in 2008/2009.

Deleted member 2897

After 2 years he is 6-16, with bad losses to FCS Citadel, mediocre FBS teams, and several bad ACC teams. He brought in an excellent 2020 recruiting class but his 2021 class is 45th after early signing day, 11th in the ACC, 6th in the Coastal. His prospects for having GT in a bowl next year are low. I surely can't see it yet.

Now, do I believe he will correct this? Sure. I have faith in his approach and will support him, but he surely hasn't shown consistently yet that he's the one to take us to the promised land.

Either way, my original point stands: I wish EJ luck and even insinuating that he would be better off lying to get a medical scholarship is wrong. Doing the right thing is always the best thing, but you do you.

His recruiting class is around #15 nationally and 4th in the ACC if you include the ratings of the 7 transfers.

Would you rather we not take any transfers and pull in several more high school recruits so our official class ranking were higher?

We have 7 transfers (of excellent caliber too), when only 1 other ACC school has more than 2 transfers coming in. Keep your eyes on the prize.

These transfers are multiple 4-star guys, and even one who isn’t (from Old Dominion) led the nation in tackles for loss. This is a great bunch, and I don’t think it’s fair to act like they don’t exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
His recruiting class is around #15 nationally and 4th in the ACC if you include the ratings of the 7 transfers.

Would you rather we not take any transfers and pull in several more high school recruits so our official class ranking were higher?

We have 7 transfers (of excellent caliber too), when only 1 other ACC school has more than 2 transfers coming in. Keep your eyes on the prize.

These transfers are multiple 4-star guys, and even one who isn’t (from Old Dominion) led the nation in tackles for loss. This is a great bunch, and I don’t think it’s fair to act like they don’t exist.
So now we change the rules on recruiting rankings to prove our current staff is doing great. we have the 45 ranked class. Sort of where we always are. Transfers...they transfer for a reason....they aren't playing where they are currently. All that matters in the end are wins and losses, not recruiting, not guys going into the NFL. Next year is a make or break year.

Deleted member 2897

So now we change the rules on recruiting rankings to prove our current staff is doing great. we have the 45 ranked class. Sort of where we always are. Transfers...they transfer for a reason....they aren't playing where they are currently. All that matters in the end are wins and losses, not recruiting, not guys going into the NFL. Next year is a make or break year.

Nobody is saying that. Just don’t act like our class is 17 guys when it’s 24. And if you think they’re not playing, perhaps you need to read up on them some more, because that’s false.

Nobody is saying that. Just don’t act like our class is 17 guys when it’s 24. And if you think they’re not playing, perhaps you need to read up on them some more, because that’s false.
fpr recruits we have 17. Transfers....who know what they are. The best supposedly is a 2 star fro ODU. We also lost 2 4 stars. AB and James Graham were big losses. But again who cares. Give me a team of 3 stars that win 11 games.....

Deleted member 2897

fpr recruits we have 17. Transfers....who know what they are. The best supposedly is a 2 star fro ODU. We also lost 2 4 stars. AB and James Graham were big losses. But again who cares. Give me a team of 3 stars that win 11 games.....

Well Devin Cochran was all-SEC. Keion White led the country in tackles for loss. We know what some of them are. We either trust the coaches that these guys were better options than high school recruits we could get, or we don’t trust them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The point was that comparing rankings without using transfers is apropos since none of the schools were ranked use transfers in their equation.

To go back to the original post I was replying to, CGC may well be the next Bobby Ross, and we might be rounding the corner on greatness, but that requires faith, not simply looking at the two year time frame as the original poster said. It's NOT an obvious observation at this point that we are clearly better than where we were two years ago. I support CGC and what he's doing, but facts are facts and we have to hope that after 3-4 years in the football wilderness we emerge as a serious perennial challenger for the Coastal Division. I think we will, but we've still got a ways to go.

And 3/7 transfers are FR, 3 are Srs. One So in the group as well.
I think your argument is well reasoned. We can always make exceptions for why Tech should be judged differently, and, for as long as I have been a Tech fan, we have. So taking the recruiting ratings at face value is more of an apples to apples comparison.

And, yes, Ross was almost hounded out of coaching at Tech after two years. So we have hope from a past example that the current malaise is simply a pause before greatness.

But you are right. There is currently no overwhelmingly objective evidence that we are headed for greatness, though I am choosing to think positively.

Deleted member 2897

I think your argument is well reasoned. We can always make exceptions for why Tech should be judged differently, and, for as long as I have been a Tech fan, we have. So taking the recruiting ratings at face value is more of an apples to apples comparison.

And, yes, Ross was almost hounded out of coaching at Tech after two years. So we have hope from a past example that the current malaise is simply a pause before greatness.

But you are right. There is currently no overwhelmingly objective evidence that we are headed for greatness, though I am choosing to think positively.

Well, all the evidence I saw this year and our recruits tells me we are trending on the right direction. I think we have a couple years to go before we have a chance at a really good season. Next year still feels too soon, but I’m hopeful we can break even. We were within 1 score in the 4th quarter in 70% of our games this year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't have to justify the equation because I stated a fact. We currently have a recruiting class ranked in the 40's. Am I wrong? Those rankings don't include our transfers, just like they don't include anyone elses transfers. It seems you are overzealous to defend CGC, who I m not attacking, and refuse to admit you are wrong in this. I can post the link showing the exact recruiting ranking if you wish. If you want to make recruiting in the 40's an issue, that's on you. I simply stated a fact that you don't like.

And this is why you were called out initially for arguing in bad faith.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
1610675065150.png
Transfer from Old Dominion University … Has two seasons of eligibility remaining … Was a second-team all-Conference USA honoree as a sophomore in 2019 after starting all 12 games at DE in his first season at the position, finishing tied for 10th in NCAA Division I FBS with 19 tackles for loss (which also tied ODU’s single-season record) … Ranked fourth on the team with 62 tackles, co-led the squad with 3.5 sacks and recovered two fumbles, forcing one and intercepting a pass in ’19 … Had a career game against ACC opponent Virginia Tech, recording eight tackles and 2.0 tackles for loss … Also had six tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss against Virginia … Transitioned to defensive end from tight end during spring of 2019 … Started eight games at tight end for ODU as a redshirt freshman in 2018, hauling in 11 passes for 124 yards

Look at the picture. This kid is considered a pro prospect based on size and performance to date. Two years of eligibility. Why wouldn't you take this guy over a HS kid especially when pass rush is arguably the biggest problem on your team? Sorry, this is a big get. May have been a 2-star HS recruit but has performed more on a 4 to 5 star level. Already a good pass rusher with all the physical tools and now will come under NFL Vet Marco Coleman's coaching. Just Sayin'.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Augusta, our football record the last 2 years means absolutely nothing. I said two years ago that the next two seasons were “scrimmage” seasons and many argued that point. Well, history proves me right. The past two years were about one thing- restocking the roster. I’m not going to rehash all that. Suffice it to say we have more 4 star players than ever before. Now do I think 2021 is gonna be a big year for GT? Nope. Our schedule is tough with 3 top 5 teams and another 2-3 top 15 teams. But, we won’t be losing by 60 plus again. And by 2022, we’ll have the best RB in the ACC, the best receiving corp, a do it all QB, and a defense that can actually stop the run. And we’ll still be on the young side. I just hope you can give the staff credit when they earn it. And once we are there it will be sustainable because of the recruiting.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
With all do respect to James Graham’s athletic ability, what exactly did we lose from this team in him transferring?0 statistical production from last year. Arguably a run first back up quarterback? AB is a deep threat I wish we could have taken more advantage of this year, but his straight line speed is something I think we can replace with the young guys on the team and coming in.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Nick Pendley 6-4 300 lbs

Transfer from Mississippi State University … Has four seasons of eligibility remainingAppeared in four games as a redshirt freshman at MSU in 2020 … Appeared in two games as a true freshman in 2019 … Rated as a three-star prospect by Rivals, 247Sports and ESPN coming out of Creekview H.S.… Tabbed as the No. 25-ranked offensive guard in the nation and the No. 50-ranked player in the state of Georgia by Rivals … Three-time first-team all-county and all-region honoree … Two-time all-state selection … Led Creekview to the third round of the Georgia 6-A state playoffs … Coached by Adam Carter.

So if your OL needs help NOW you'd rather get a HS kid over a guy like this who has had a promising start to his career and has 2 years of development and college strength training already? And four years to play?! Sorry, I'd take this kid in a heartbeat.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There are facts and then there are facts with extenuating circumstances. Talking about our recruiting rating being in the 40's with a class of 16 (because we've taken on 7 transfers, 4 of which have 4 years of eligibility left) is like saying Notre Dame was the best ACC team in the regular season because they beat Clemson head-to-head. While that did happen, the fact that Clemson lost so many players that week played a significant factor in the outcome of that game. You ignoring the unique circumstances associated with the 2021 recruiting class in your statements is why people are calling you out, not because they don't like your "facts." If we don't take 7 transfers, then we have 7 more spots for HS recruits, which means our team ranking would have been significantly higher. There is a difference between making excuses and understanding circumstances.

Extenuating circumstances only seem to matter when people don't like the facts. There are always extenuating circumstances. Massive injuries meant a lot of one score losses that led to a poor 2015 record. Facts are we were 3-9. Can't dispute the record.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Do we need a difference-maker at DT or do we need four solid anchors? I'd posit the middle of our DL from 2008 weren't difference-makers, but solid anchors that allowed our DE's (difference-makers) to make differences. If the guys we have now, and those coming in, grow into solid anchors, I think the ends we have (with strong LB support) will buoy this defense. What we're grooming for the middle now has the potential to be as good, if not better, than anything we've had since 2008/2009.

This. If you get enough difference makers on the end, the DT position gets better by default.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

1. Reps from recruiting sites openly admit that's not how it works, including KQ.
2. No one is saying that.
3. Wrong about only one other ACC school having more than 2 transfers. More than half of the teams in the conference have more than 2 transfers coming in. FSU now has 8.
4. Wrong about White leading the nation in tackles for loss.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Devin Cochran OL

Listed at 6-foot-7, 320-pounds, Cochran committed to Tech in January as a graduate transfer from Vanderbilt. He performed very well at left tackle on a struggling Commodores' offensive line last season (he missed the first three games of the 2019 campaign due to injury, but started last nine). Throughout his three years in Nashville (2017-19), Cochran started 32 games for the 'Dores at both right and left tackle. His play and size drew plenty of attention from NFL scouts last year and he was expected to be a potential pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. Earlier this summer, Cochran was named to Phil Steele's Preseason All-ACC team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Nowhere have I said that taking these transfers was a mistake. I was simply pointing out that we aren't the only school getting transfers. FWIW, I think CGC has definitely moved the needle on recruiting far beyond what I expected in year 1. That year 2 was a drop off I can accept when all that happened this year is factored in. The question remains to be answered is has he moved the needle enough for GT to compete with peers who recruit in the same neighborhood as us. We will know in years 4-6.