2021 MLB Draft

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have also never had an extended look at Jackson in the field or at the plate except in isolated opportunities.
1626175956513.png

Didn’t he get a lot of reps last year at 2B?
Don't remember 2B or SS. He may have been at 3rd the few games Malloy got moved away.

Only 12 AB and 15 games all season. Had a low BA (.167) but 12 AB isn't enough to really judge. And no errors :)

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Jadyn Jackson had 4 starts at 2B in 2020 when we were using Wilhite out of the pen, and actually performed well if memory serves.

That remains a big question mark to me for the 2021 season. Wilhite looked very good on the mound in 2020, the coaching staff raved about his spin rates and command, and then when the 2021 season rolled around and we needed more pitching depth he only had 2 or 3 chances in mop-up duty. Very curious.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
if he wanted $4M he's only getting $870K..... doubt he signs for that...

Third Round
72) Pirates: $870,700

The slot values are not hard numbers. A player can sign for more or less then the slot value of their pick. What matters is the team's entire pool and whether they go over it. Teams can split it up however they want. It's possible the Pirates took Davis 1st overall because he agreed to sign for under the ~$8.4 million slot value and they're shifting that savings over to guys like Chandler to hit his desired signing bonus. It's a pretty common move in the draft.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I get that. Hear it in the broadcast, but a nice reference guide. The over/under slot were discussed a lot.
But Bubba ain't getting his $4M ask (an above 15th pick slot value) at pick #72, in regards to someone saying he want's $4M to sign.
Or maybe he is, but that's a huge lift and jump in total package.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
It's not that outrageous. Say Davis signs for $6 million. You take that $2.4 million add it to the $878,000. Add in the savings from some senior signings that you can pay like $10,000 and you're right there.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah I get that. Hear it in the broadcast, but a nice reference guide. The over/under slot were discussed a lot.
But Bubba ain't getting his $4M ask (an above 15th pick slot value) at pick #72, in regards to someone saying he want's $4M to sign.
Or maybe he is, but that's a huge lift and jump in total package.
no team is going to waste such a high round draft pick on an insignia level player. These deals are agreed to before the pick is announced. You get drafted in the third round you are signing.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
no team is going to waste such a high round draft pick on an insignia level player. These deals are agreed to before the pick is announced. You get drafted in the third round you are signing.
I would agree. If a team can't sign a player in the top 10 rounds, they also lose that money from their bonus pool.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Yup, this is expected since we fielded such a young team. No crystal ball today except Bartnicki should go. And others who have indicated to MLB teams they want to go for the right $.
Bartnicki not getting drafted doesn't surprise me. Was very erratic this year. I believe he has 2 years of eligibility left. Would love to see him back, but don't know what him and his family are thinking. May sign as an undrafted free agent?