2021 MLB Draft

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Clemson football signees expected to go in first round missing. Odd. Clemson baseball may be vastly improved next year.
Did you mean Jo Mack? He went 31 to Marlins. Catcher. Great dude. Wonderful family. Super happy for him!! He was never going to show up on campus. Didn't see any of Clemson's other signees get drafted, yet....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting article about how it may make $ sense to go to college with NIL rules. Basically collect money at a top tier school (there aren't many) and then get drafted later. Much more name recognition in a top tier baseball program than minors.

No way Harry Ford comes to GT though being 12th. Unless of course he is stiffed in negotiations; but it would be terribly incompetent if that hadn't been discussed at some level before the 1st round pick were committed by Seattle.

I can see this consideration a lot in the lower draft picks only worth $100-$200K or less. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31801167/nil-mlb-finances-factor-decision-draftees-sign-teams

Sorry guys, but GT alum are probably too cheap to pay for baseball stuff like Miss St, Vandy, Texas, etc. We can't even fill our stadium. But if we start winning more, that could change. Win and they will come.

1626110608821.png

Of 612 draft picks, Bartnicki highest at maybe 200?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Every pick also went to 3rd grade, tie their own shoes, and probably also ate an apple in their life....
These claims crack me up (not like it isn't PRACTICALLY REQUIRED)

College baseball as a business for $M 1st round payouts? What a novel concept (tic).

Makes sense for PG to promote this. In this case, correlation may be causation as you need publicity to get picked first round. I'm looking forward to all the stats after the draft to see what % were HS as compared to previous years. Always a lot of HS in the first round as I recall.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Luke 5th Round Pick #157 to the Braves!

Every pick

Slot values

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Every pick

Slot values

scroll up. Link to slot values, silly.....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MLB.com says 257K is the slot value for Malloy

Thanks. Probably gone since
1) enough $
2) already let his willingness be known
3) would be hard to improve.
4) he has to be close to graduating ..... I don't have as a recent grad though.

Where's Bartnicki's draft - he was supposed to go in upper 100's / low 200's? Usually the "mock" drafts are pretty good since they talk to the teams.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
1) enough $

Where's Bartnicki's draft - he was supposed to go in upper 100's / low 200's? Usually the "mock" drafts are pretty good since they talk to the teams.
Malloy was also technically a RS-SO so he was older. I figured that he would get drafted with the year he had, but was hoping that he'd come back for one more. I just see Compton sliding over to 3rd now with Jenkins staying at 1st and Reid mainly being DH.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
1) enough $

The slot may be 257 but I doubt Malloy gets that much. Braves seem to be saving money for later picks. I bet he signs closer to 120-150, which is still probably enough for him to go

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Malloy was also technically a RS-SO so he was older. I figured that he would get drafted with the year he had, but was hoping that he'd come back for one more. I just see Compton sliding over to 3rd now with Jenkins staying at 1st and Reid mainly being DH.

Good point. Malloy (DOB 2/19/2000) is 21-1/2 and would be oldish for drafting next year. MLB is about potential.

3rd has been a problem for us for a long time. I don't know that Compton has the agility for the position. We have 3 IF coming in this year's class (Campbell, Frye and Romano) to add to the current mix of players.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Good point. Malloy (DOB 2/19/2000) is 21-1/2 and would be oldish for drafting next year. MLB is about potential.

3rd has been a problem for us for a long time. I don't know that Compton has the agility for the position. We have 3 IF coming in this year's class (Campbell, Frye and Romano) to add to the current mix of players.
From a roster crunch standpoint, it would be nice if Compton or Jenkins could play 3rd. You've got Compton, Jenkins, Deleo, Gonzalez, Hall, and Reid for the OF spots, DH, and 1st. If one of them can't play 3rd, then one of those 6 is on the bench every game. That's why I thought if JHM came back, we might see him at 2B more. If he's gone, I could see Anderson at 2B or 3B depending on if Compton/Jenkins could stick at 3rd. At least it seems safe that Campbell will wind up on campus now to play SS.