2021 MLB Draft

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yea looks like Ford is gone. Will be a first rounder. Which is a bummer, but not that unexpected.
I’m a little confused with both Hurter and bartnicki at how high they are projected. I mean hurter has more of a case as he had more proven success over his career, but even he was very inconsistent this year. Bartnicki has lost velocity and still has control issues, I’m sure it’s drafting off of potential, but both seem too high of a pick to me.

Has anyone seen the current draft guesses? I'd think both Hurter and Bartnicki would be lower than they were in March. A lot of pitchers really got better as the season went on.

But MLB drafts as much on potential as performance. So who knows. Both have talent. So do hundreds of others.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
updated to top 500 prospects from PG

Harry now 11th
11) Nationals: $4,547,500

I only saw 3 jackets in list....
Brant, Luke & JHN
1624449191021.png

213) Yankees: $208,200
238) Astros: $174,000
260) Rockies: $158,100

Do they go or come back?
Would another year help or hurt them? Brant and Luke would lose leverage.

JHN still has some and would next year as well. I would think would go much higher next year.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
updated to top 500 prospects from PG

Harry now 11th
11) Nationals: $4,547,500

I only saw 3 jackets in list....
Brant, Luke & JHN
View attachment 10732

213) Yankees: $208,200
238) Astros: $174,000
260) Rockies: $158,100

Do they go or come back?
Would another year help or hurt them? Brant and Luke would lose leverage.

JHN still has some and would next year as well. I would think would go much higher next year.
I expect Brant and Luke to be gone. Not sure about JHM.

I don't think that Luke can help his position at all by staying. One of the best SS in college baseball, a year older, no more draft leverage if he comes back. Also has his degree from GT, so if his desired occupation as an MLB shortstop does not work out, he has a great back up plan. Time to go for the dream.

I believe Hurter answered a lot of questions coming off TJ surgery and being our #1 pitcher all year. Not sure he has much more to prove. Not sure if he would still have leverage due to the COVID and TJ years, but maybe? But again, MLB teams usually don't favor older athletes in the draft, and he'll be a year older next year.

JHM finally got a lot of playing time and did well. A lot of errors on routine balls, but ESPN highlight plays defensively as well. Solid offensive force for us. Has a couple of years of eligibility left. Would be my bet to be back at GT out of these three, but don't know where his mind is. I agree that he can most likely improve his draft stock next year by coming back. Especially if he can shore up his routine defensive plays.

I'd love to see all of these players back, but want to see them do what's best for their professional careers first, whether that be in baseball or not.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I expect Brant and Luke to be gone. Not sure about JHM.

I don't think that Luke can help his position at all by staying. One of the best SS in college baseball, a year older, no more draft leverage if he comes back. Also has his degree from GT, so if his desired occupation as an MLB shortstop does not work out, he has a great back up plan. Time to go for the dream.

I believe Hurter answered a lot of questions coming off TJ surgery and being our #1 pitcher all year. Not sure he has much more to prove. Not sure if he would still have leverage due to the COVID and TJ years, but maybe? But again, MLB teams usually don't favor older athletes in the draft, and he'll be a year older next year.

JHM finally got a lot of playing time and did well. A lot of errors on routine balls, but ESPN highlight plays defensively as well. Solid offensive force for us. Has a couple of years of eligibility left. Would be my bet to be back at GT out of these three, but don't know where his mind is. I agree that he can most likely improve his draft stock next year by coming back. Especially if he can shore up his routine defensive plays.

I'd love to see all of these players back, but want to see them do what's best for their professional careers first, whether that be in baseball or not.
Not me. I want them all back until the ACC or NCAA tells them they have to go. Sure the PC thing to say is I want them to do what is best for them. It would be crass to say anything other than that. But I am a rabid Tech fan who will watch every game they play while Yellow Jackets. Once they turn pro and spend years in the minor leagues the only time I see them is when someone posts a highlight on line. Let's be honest, only a handful ever get a taste of the league. How many guys have been thought of as MLB sure shots only to end up bouncing around the minors for years. As a dad, if my son could stay an extra year and get his degree at Tech or even a Masters I would tell him to stay. Unless you are getting drafted in the early rounds, which none of those guys will be right now, the draft money is negligible long term compared to an advanced degree from Tech.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Not me. I want them all back until the ACC or NCAA tells them they have to go. Sure the PC thing to say is I want them to do what is best for them. It would be crass to say anything other than that. But I am a rabid Tech fan who will watch every game they play while Yellow Jackets. Once they turn pro and spend years in the minor leagues the only time I see them is when someone posts a highlight on line. Let's be honest, only a handful ever get a taste of the league. How many guys have been thought of as MLB sure shots only to end up bouncing around the minors for years. As a dad, if my son could stay an extra year and get his degree at Tech or even a Masters I would tell him to stay. Unless you are getting drafted in the early rounds, which none of those guys will be right now, the draft money is negligible long term compared to an advanced degree from Tech.
You can get a degree at any time, and the team that drafts you will pay for it if you decide to go back to school. You only get one shot to chase a dream. Luke and Brant have given 4 years to GT baseball. There’s nothing left for them to prove here.

And if you were a true Tech man, you would know that having a Tech degree in your back pockets allows you much more financial leeway in the future. Meaning you can take the bulk of that signing bonus and invest it while you chase your dream, and when it’s time to hang em up you’ve got a huge safety net waiting for you. Don’t be selfish. Nobody owes you anything.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
You can get a degree at any time, and the team that drafts you will pay for it if you decide to go back to school. You only get one shot to chase a dream. Luke and Brant have given 4 years to GT baseball. There’s nothing left for them to prove here.

And if you were a true Tech man, you would know that having a Tech degree in your back pockets allows you much more financial leeway in the future. Meaning you can take the bulk of that signing bonus and invest it while you chase your dream, and when it’s time to hang em up you’ve got a huge safety net waiting for you. Don’t be selfish. Nobody owes you anything.
I'm not being selfish. Just speaking the truth. I would like to continue watching them play for Tech. What's wrong with that? I'm not wishing them ill will if they decide to move on. I know how much a Tech degree means because I have one which is why I said what I did. If you can read you would realize that not all of those guys referenced in the message I replied to have a Tech degree. And who the hell are you to question if I am a true Tech man?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Hurter has only one more year of eligibility so I think it's safe to assume he's gone if drafted. JHM and Bartnicki have 2 more of eligibility so would likely only leave if they got a really sweet deal.

Compton and Jenkins were both recruited as 3B per their bio. I think Jenkins played there a little in 2020 but I don't remember Compton there at all. Seems like top lineup next year is
C-Parada
1B - Compton
2B - JHM
SS - Campbell
3B - Jenkins
OF - Hall, Gonzalez, Deleo.
DH - Reid
Top bench - Anderson, Jackson, Grenkoski.

I have no idea what the backup C situation is if Ford doesn't come. Turley and Taylor both have a year of eligibility due to Covid, but have they graduated? Are they planning on sticking around? Otherwise, may have to try to get a walk-on as backup.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
it was posted before on their profiles from PG, Compton is 3B and 1B. Jenkins also pitches :)

got a stud of a 22 commit, but not sure what the plan is for back up. I'm sure they're active on the transfer portal and looking.

Yes Turley and Taylor graduated. They were part of the "senior" day or whatever for graduates?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Hurter has only one more year of eligibility so I think it's safe to assume he's gone if drafted. JHM and Bartnicki have 2 more of eligibility so would likely only leave if they got a really sweet deal.

Compton and Jenkins were both recruited as 3B per their bio. I think Jenkins played there a little in 2020 but I don't remember Compton there at all. Seems like top lineup next year is
C-Parada
1B - Compton
2B - JHM
SS - Campbell
3B - Jenkins
OF - Hall, Gonzalez, Deleo.
DH - Reid
Top bench - Anderson, Jackson, Grenkoski.

I have no idea what the backup C situation is if Ford doesn't come. Turley and Taylor both have a year of eligibility due to Covid, but have they graduated? Are they planning on sticking around? Otherwise, may have to try to get a walk-on as backup.
Unless Compton's defense improves dramatically I don't see him unseating Jenkins at 1B. I also think Anderson's bat gets him in the lineup most likely at 2B though I can see him maybe at 3B if they decide to move JHM to 2B. I also believe both Reid and Compton's power bats will stay in the lineup which most likely means Compton remains at DH since Reid can play RF. That means Deleo and Hall fight it out for the remaining OF position unless a freshman phenom can unseat them.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unless Compton's defense improves dramatically I don't see him unseating Jenkins at 1B. I also think Anderson's bat gets him in the lineup most likely at 2B though I can see him maybe at 3B if they decide to move JHM to 2B. I also believe both Reid and Compton's power bats will stay in the lineup which most likely means Compton remains at DH since Reid can play RF. That means Deleo and Hall fight it out for the remaining OF position unless a freshman phenom can unseat them.

Agree with the infield. Malloy may be better at 2B but have to keep his bat.

As far as the OF, I think we need to go with the bats there since we don't have a Nick phenom defensively. Not sure Hall is coming back for his last year of eligibility. I think DeLeo has a lot more potential than Hall since DeLeo is a FR.

From Transfer Portal, Hendricks Thomas, Strickland, Holland and Marant aren't on the list below. The D1 Baseball Portal has Hendrick Thomas as a GT transfer and I'm guessing that has to be Hank Thomas since we have no other Thomas' or a database error?
1625008538156.png

Anyway, here are all the non-pure pitchers and their eligibility. I think we will have to wait to see who get drafted late rounds (minimal bonus) and who goes undrafted to better know who is leaving.
First NameLast NamePositionB/TPerfect Game Ranking2022-23 School YearD.O.B.Year Draft Eligible (At least 3 college years or 21 by ~August 15 )Years Eligibility Remaining (2020 COVID Year Pass)
JohnAnderson2B / 3BR/R335 Overall, 67 2B;Sophomore
2002​
2023 Draft eligible3
CharlieBensonSS / INFS/R500+ overall, 323 SSJunior
1/24/2000​
Eligible - 3 years or >212
AndrewCompton1B / 3BS R181 Overall, 7 3BJunior
2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
JakeDeleoRF OFR/R36 Overall, 11 OFSophomore
2002​
2023 Draft eligible3
JohnGieslerSSR R500+ overall, 339 SSJunior
2001​
2022 Draft eligible4
TresGonzalezLF OFL L195 Overall, 43 OF, Dodgers Rd 37Sophomore
10/4/2000​
2022 Draft eligible3
BradGrenkoskiOF/RHPR/R146 Overall, 30 OF,Sophomore
2002​
2023 Draft eligible3
ColinHallCF OFL/R228 Overall, 50 OF, Rockies 39th roundSenior
9/15/1998​
Eligible - 3 years or >211
JadynJackson2B / SSR R500+ Overall, 91 SSSophomore
2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
AndrewJenkins1B / LF / DHR R182 Overall, 8 3BSophomore
2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
TervellJohnsonUTLR/R500+ Overall, 116 OFSophomore
2002​
2023 Draft eligible3
Justyn-HenryMalloy3BR/R135 Overall, 7 3BSenior
2/19/2000​
Eligible - 3 years or more2
KevinParadaCR/R30 Overall, 3 C;Sophomore
8/3/2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
StephenReidRF DHR R146 Overall, 30 OFSophomore
2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
JamieTaylorCR/R500+ overall, 104 CSenior
2/5/1999​
Eligible - 3 years or more1
CameronTurleyCR/R500+ overall, 62 CSenior
12/12/1998​
LukeWaddellSSL/R500+ overall, 148 SS, Arizona 32nd roundSenior+
7/13/1998​
AustinWilhiteRHP / 2BR/R274 Overall, 48 2BNo eligibility11/7/1997Used 4 years0

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Agree with the infield. Malloy may be better at 2B but have to keep his bat.

As far as the OF, I think we need to go with the bats there since we don't have a Nick phenom defensively. Not sure Hall is coming back for his last year of eligibility. I think DeLeo has a lot more potential than Hall since DeLeo is a FR.

From Transfer Portal, Hendricks Thomas, Strickland, Holland and Marant aren't on the list below. The D1 Baseball Portal has Hendrick Thomas as a GT transfer and I'm guessing that has to be Hank Thomas since we have no other Thomas' or a database error?
View attachment 10760
Anyway, here are all the non-pure pitchers and their eligibility. I think we will have to wait to see who get drafted late rounds (minimal bonus) and who goes undrafted to better know who is leaving.
First NameLast NamePositionB/TPerfect Game Ranking2022-23 School YearD.O.B.Year Draft Eligible (At least 3 college years or 21 by ~August 15 )Years Eligibility Remaining (2020 COVID Year Pass)
JohnAnderson2B / 3BR/R335 Overall, 67 2B;Sophomore
2002​
2023 Draft eligible3
CharlieBensonSS / INFS/R500+ overall, 323 SSJunior
1/24/2000​
Eligible - 3 years or >212
AndrewCompton1B / 3BS R181 Overall, 7 3BJunior
2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
JakeDeleoRF OFR/R36 Overall, 11 OFSophomore
2002​
2023 Draft eligible3
JohnGieslerSSR R500+ overall, 339 SSJunior
2001​
2022 Draft eligible4
TresGonzalezLF OFL L195 Overall, 43 OF, Dodgers Rd 37Sophomore
10/4/2000​
2022 Draft eligible3
BradGrenkoskiOF/RHPR/R146 Overall, 30 OF,Sophomore
2002​
2023 Draft eligible3
ColinHallCF OFL/R228 Overall, 50 OF, Rockies 39th roundSenior
9/15/1998​
Eligible - 3 years or >211
JadynJackson2B / SSR R500+ Overall, 91 SSSophomore
2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
AndrewJenkins1B / LF / DHR R182 Overall, 8 3BSophomore
2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
TervellJohnsonUTLR/R500+ Overall, 116 OFSophomore
2002​
2023 Draft eligible3
Justyn-HenryMalloy3BR/R135 Overall, 7 3BSenior
2/19/2000​
Eligible - 3 years or more2
KevinParadaCR/R30 Overall, 3 C;Sophomore
8/3/2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
StephenReidRF DHR R146 Overall, 30 OFSophomore
2001​
2022 Draft eligible3
JamieTaylorCR/R500+ overall, 104 CSenior
2/5/1999​
CameronTurleyCR/R500+ overall, 62 CSenior
12/12/1998​
LukeWaddellSSL/R500+ overall, 148 SS, Arizona 32nd roundSenior+
7/13/1998​
AustinWilhiteRHP / 2BR/R274 Overall, 48 2BNo eligibility11/7/1997Used 4 years0
Not sure Malloy would be better at 2B, if he comes back. His best plays last year were reaction plays at 3B. When he had time to think about the ball coming his way, not sure he'd make the play. Made a lot of ESPN highlight plays when he didn't have to think about it though!

I didn't study your list of eligible players, but if JHM comes back, I'd have him at 3B with Anderson at 2B, Jenkins at 1B. SS, I have no idea who could replace Waddell. Perhaps Jadyn Jackson? Any freshmen vying for time? But we're Georgia Tech, so we should have someone that can be another Garciaparra, Menocal, Hyde, Dietrich, Waddell. Sadly probably missing some great Jackets, but just off the top off my head here. We're not only Catcher U!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure Malloy would be better at 2B, if he comes back. His best plays last year were reaction plays at 3B. When he had time to think about the ball coming his way, not sure he'd make the play. Made a lot of ESPN highlight plays when he didn't have to think about it though!

I didn't study your list of eligible players, but if JHM comes back, I'd have him at 3B with Anderson at 2B, Jenkins at 1B. SS, I have no idea who could replace Waddell. Perhaps Jadyn Jackson? Any freshmen vying for time? But we're Georgia Tech, so we should have someone that can be another Garciaparra, Menocal, Hyde, Dietrich, Waddell. Sadly probably missing some great Jackets, but just off the top off my head here. We're not only Catcher U!
Campbell is a highly rated shortstop 2021 recruit with speed and a bat to go with superior fielding skills. I fully expect him to step in for Waddell unless something unforeseen happens.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
6 days to the MLB draft. Tervell Johnson (OF) entered portal. We have a lot of OF next year regardless.

I am surprised that Hank (Hendricks??) Thomas is in portal. Really only one which surprised me so far. While it could be a typo, I can't find any baseball player named Hendricks Thomas and no reference to Hank Thomas as Hendricks.

We should be at the end of the transfer announcements since a player would want to get on another team before they fill up.
1625498373061.png

THWG

Helluva Engineer
6 days to the MLB draft. Tervell Johnson (OF) entered portal. We have a lot of OF next year regardless.

I am surprised that Hank (Hendricks??) Thomas is in portal. Really only one which surprised me so far. While it could be a typo, I can't find any baseball player named Hendricks Thomas and no reference to Hank Thomas as Hendricks.

We should be at the end of the transfer announcements since a player would want to get on another team before they fill up.
View attachment 10785
I'm guessing Hendricks is his real name and everyone calls him Hank or something like that.

I'm surprised to see Westbrooks on there as well. I figured he would get some innings next year.

bigbob

Georgia Tech Fan
Clemson football signees expected to go in first round missing. Odd. Clemson baseball may be vastly improved next year.