2021 MLB Draft

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Really early to be talking about next year’s draft, but news just broke it will be happening in Atlanta. If they allow probable first rounders to attend, there’s definitely a good possibility for Hurter to stay in the ATL that weekend. There’s no news yet on exactly how many rounds the draft will be. I would imagine with MiLB’s upcoming contraction, it will probably be somewhere between 10-20 rounds. Here’s some guys I expect to be taken next year
  • Hurter - potential top 2 rounder. Will be 2 years since he’s seen game action, but if he picks up on his pace from 2019, he’ll easily go in the 1st.
  • Waddell - was surprised he didn’t go this year. Got off to a slow start, and with limited rounds and limited scouting that was probably detrimental to his stock. He’s an above average pro infielder (albeit not a pro SS), and of he does enough at the plate next year he could go in the top 5 rounds
  • Roedig - the dude is electric. I can only see him getting better with another year under DBo. If he can find the zone a little more often he could also be in the top 5. He projects more as a reliever in pro ball, so walks won’t be that big of an issue, but his 1.50 WHIP from this spring would be. If he misses a few more barrels, and finds the zone more often he’ll go in the 4-5 range. If his numbers are more similar to this year, that puts him in the 5-7 range
  • Archer - he’s not a prototypical draft prospect as a college reliever. He’s not a flamethrower, and he doesn’t have explosive breaking stuff, but does a really good job of keeping hitters off balance. A low 90s guy with a really solid changeup will play at the next level, especially if he’s following an electric starter out of the pen. Could also see him being an “opener” type if he can get his walk numbers back down to where they were as a sophomore. Depending on what kind of year he has, and how much better his stuff gets over the offseason, Arch probably goes in the 10-15 range
  • Bartnicki - A bit of a wildcard here. He’s kind of been all over the place, and hasn’t really found a consistent groove since he’s been at Tech. This year he was a lot closer to consistent than in 2019 as a freshman, and hopefully he will continue to build on that in the spring. A lefty with an odd arm slot, who can touch 98 is easily identifiable on draft boards. But where he falls is in his inability to repeat that across multiple games. As a freshman his fastball would range anywhere from 85-96 on any given day, and that’s really unacceptable in pro ball. Because of his inconsistency, he definitely projects as a reliever in pro ball, but he could start for Tech in the spring. Going to be important for him to be consistent in whatever role he’s given. If he finds it, he will go top 10, if he struggles, he’ll be another in the 10-15 range
  • Hall - the last guy on my board currently. He didn’t have a great year last year in the limited time we got. His strikeouts were way up, and his average way down from his first 2 years. He hasn’t been a huge power threat, so in order to make it to a good spot on a draft board, he has to get those numbers back to his first 2 years pace. A solid outfielder with a strong arm, I could see him being an Adam Eaton type player. He won’t do anything at an elite level, but can do almost everything at an average to above-average level. That is, if he can get back to hitting again. I’d say as of now he’d go in the 12-20 range, but that can also go up if he finds a power stroke, or becomes Michael Guldberg and starts creating hits.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Really early to be talking about next year’s draft, but news just broke it will be happening in Atlanta. If they allow probable first rounders to attend, there’s definitely a good possibility for Hurter to stay in the ATL that weekend. There’s no news yet on exactly how many rounds the draft will be. I would imagine with MiLB’s upcoming contraction, it will probably be somewhere between 10-20 rounds. Here’s some guys I expect to be taken next year
  • Hurter - potential top 2 rounder. Will be 2 years since he’s seen game action, but if he picks up on his pace from 2019, he’ll easily go in the 1st.
  • Waddell - was surprised he didn’t go this year. Got off to a slow start, and with limited rounds and limited scouting that was probably detrimental to his stock. He’s an above average pro infielder (albeit not a pro SS), and of he does enough at the plate next year he could go in the top 5 rounds
  • Roedig - the dude is electric. I can only see him getting better with another year under DBo. If he can find the zone a little more often he could also be in the top 5. He projects more as a reliever in pro ball, so walks won’t be that big of an issue, but his 1.50 WHIP from this spring would be. If he misses a few more barrels, and finds the zone more often he’ll go in the 4-5 range. If his numbers are more similar to this year, that puts him in the 5-7 range
  • Archer - he’s not a prototypical draft prospect as a college reliever. He’s not a flamethrower, and he doesn’t have explosive breaking stuff, but does a really good job of keeping hitters off balance. A low 90s guy with a really solid changeup will play at the next level, especially if he’s following an electric starter out of the pen. Could also see him being an “opener” type if he can get his walk numbers back down to where they were as a sophomore. Depending on what kind of year he has, and how much better his stuff gets over the offseason, Arch probably goes in the 10-15 range
  • Bartnicki - A bit of a wildcard here. He’s kind of been all over the place, and hasn’t really found a consistent groove since he’s been at Tech. This year he was a lot closer to consistent than in 2019 as a freshman, and hopefully he will continue to build on that in the spring. A lefty with an odd arm slot, who can touch 98 is easily identifiable on draft boards. But where he falls is in his inability to repeat that across multiple games. As a freshman his fastball would range anywhere from 85-96 on any given day, and that’s really unacceptable in pro ball. Because of his inconsistency, he definitely projects as a reliever in pro ball, but he could start for Tech in the spring. Going to be important for him to be consistent in whatever role he’s given. If he finds it, he will go top 10, if he struggles, he’ll be another in the 10-15 range
  • Hall - the last guy on my board currently. He didn’t have a great year last year in the limited time we got. His strikeouts were way up, and his average way down from his first 2 years. He hasn’t been a huge power threat, so in order to make it to a good spot on a draft board, he has to get those numbers back to his first 2 years pace. A solid outfielder with a strong arm, I could see him being an Adam Eaton type player. He won’t do anything at an elite level, but can do almost everything at an average to above-average level. That is, if he can get back to hitting again. I’d say as of now he’d go in the 12-20 range, but that can also go up if he finds a power stroke, or becomes Michael Guldberg and starts creating hits.

Any of the sophomores draft eligible? Also, because the draft is being moved back a month any players turning 21 in June and/or the first 10 days of July would also become draft eligible. Not sure if applies to anyone on the team.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Any of the sophomores draft eligible? Also, because the draft is being moved back a month any players turning 21 in June and/or the first 10 days of July would also become draft eligible. Not sure if applies to anyone on the team.
Honestly not sure on any of the sophomores. I don’t really know any of them personally, so I haven’t fully invested any thought I to their draft status. As far as the June/July birthdate issue, while officially I believe the rule is that you must turn 21 before or on the day of the draft, it’s been modified so that as long as you turn 22 before the season is over you will be eligible.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I have all the dates of birth for them when I can get to my computer. Unlikely to lose sophomores since they have two years to improve their status.

Must be 21 by the date when the draft offer expires I think. It used to be a date in the past on MLB but wasn't when I checked this site. Maybe since things are a bit unsettled.

Our problem this coming year is finding the playing time for the talent we have. A great problem.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I have all the dates of birth for them when I can get to my computer. Unlikely to lose sophomores since they have two years to improve their status.

Must be 21 by the date when the draft offer expires I think. It used to be a date in the past on MLB but wasn't when I checked this site. Maybe since things are a bit unsettled.

Our problem this coming year is finding the playing time for the talent we have. A great problem.
Thanks for the tidbit about the draft offer expiring. I couldn’t remember exactly what the official reasoning for the birthdate cut-off was, but knew it was at least close to the end of the MiLB season.

The playing time problem is a great problem to have. I can’t remember the last time a GT pitching staff will have this much talent and experience. It’s almost always one or the other. The experienced guys usually aren’t that talented, and the talented ones are usually young. We’ll get a good look at what happens when you combine the 2 next year. This could finally be the year GT makes the turn from being an above-average P5 program and turns into the powerhouse it deserves to be. Omaha or bust in 2021 and beyond :cool:

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Good outing today. 5 1/3 IP pitched 12Ks and 92 mph on radar in Tomball, TX.
Played with Premier to get some reps to stay fresh and ramp up for Ft. Meyers WWBA (since they moved Jupiter) 10/8-10/12
Coming to ATL next weekend to play with East Cobb. Will play with Padres Scout Team/ECB in Ft. Meyers (East Cobb's Jupiter team name for some reason....???)

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Shake up on the Draft Board?
I don't have access to TheAthletic...

Harry now top 11? There is NO WAY he doesn't go in the 1st round.
He's #20 below

Why is hurter an honorable mention?
He's 125
Luke is 148
Kristian Campbell is 225
Cort is 271
Bartnicki is 373

Where is Archer on this list?
Does that mean these guys return

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

He's #20 below

He's 125
Luke is 148
Kristian Campbell is 225
Cort is 271
Bartnicki is 373

All great questions. We shall see. I've learned to expect the unexpected as far as the MLB draft goes. I've seen some players drafted that left me scratching my head, and others undrafted that left me scratching my head...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

He's #20 below

He's 125
Luke is 148
Kristian Campbell is 225
Cort is 271
Bartnicki is 373

Seems that the draft is largely about potential. And the older a player is, the lower th ceiling for growth.

Still a lot of baseball to be played. Hurter left in too long against ND which hurt his era. But Hurter probably has the highest ceiling of those pitchers listed.