2021 Baseball Season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday marked the final weekend of no college baseball since the 1st weekend of March of 2020. I think that's 48 weekends. That's too many.

...page turned....

Ladies & Gents... we can look forward to live college baseball & our beloved Yellow Jackets taking the field 50+ times over every week(end) between now & Memorial Day... and God (& performance) willing... into June.

Yay! Baseball!! Go Jackets & THWG!!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I posted a tweet related to this recently. Here is a doc (link below) outlining the Covid related waivers to NCAA baseball rules. I am particularly interested in how the ACC will handle extra-inning games (#5 below). It appears the conference can dictate OR they can leave it up to coaches of individual games. Do you guys read #5 the same way? Or are they saying the conference will (read MUST) dictate and non-conference games are by mutual agreement? Either way, my assumption is the ACC will want to dictate for consistency across all conference games. Has anyone heard if the ACC has made any such announcement on this rule?
----------------------------------
COVID-19 Rules Waivers: Due to challenges resulting from COVID-19, playing rules waivers for
several sports have been granted for the 2021 spring season. The playing rules waivers are consistent
with the guidance included in the previously published NCAA Resocialization of Collegiate Sport
documents. In this regard, the NCAA playing rules committees and staff will continue to monitor any
additional developments and make adjustments as appropriate.
The following waivers are effective for the 2021 season:
1. To permit teams to utilize a designated area in the bleachers behind the dugout to space
uniformed team personnel. This is a waiver of NCAA Rule 1.16.b.
2. To permit the pitcher to have a wet rag dampened with water in their back pocket to prevent or
discourage a pitcher from going to the mouth or blowing on their hand before delivering the
pitch. The pitcher may go to the rag, when not on the pitcher's plate, with the pitching hand to
get moisture on the hand for grip. The pitcher must wipe the hand before engaging the pitcher's
plate. This is a waiver of Rules 9.2.d and 9.2.e Note 3.
3. To permit the start or completion of a game with one umpire in the event of an unusual situation
such as injury, illness, or positive COVID-19 testing. The intent is to maintain the playing
rule, Rule 3.6, that the game officials are the umpire-in-chief (plate umpire) and one, two, three
or five field umpires, but would permit that game to be completed in extenuating
circumstances.
4. To require that the head coach may only come to the middle point of their respective foul line
(45' mark) to maintain proper social distancing when coming to the field to ask a question about
a call in the field. The umpire that made the call should approach the coach's position at a
proper social distance. To also require that the head coach may not enter the dirt circle around
home plate to ask a question about a call at the plate, when making a line-up change or during
the pre-game/home plate meeting. This is a waiver of Rules 3.6.e; 4.4; 5.5; and Appendix E.
5. To allow, by conference rule or mutual agreement prior to the start of the game, teams to start
each extra inning (10th inning in a 9-inning game or 8th inning in a 7-inning game) with a
runner on second base. This waiver should be administered as follows. The player starting the
extra inning at second base is the player in the batting order immediately before the first batter
of the extra inning. This is a waiver of Rule 5.8.d.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
D1 Baseball (Top 100) Power Rankings for Outfielders.

#97 Tres Gonzalez

I doubt the players care much about these things (preseason prognostication), but my money is on Colin Hall to have a great season. Overlooked here by D1... IMO.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Something fun to keep an eye on this year. It seems every year there is another milestone for Danny Hall. Here are some specifics:

- 1281 career wins (33 seasons) - 4th among all D1 active coaches
- When Ga Tech notches their 19th victory this season, he'll hit 1300 career wins.
- When/If Ga Tech can win 8 more games than Missouri State, CDH will move up to 3rd among active coaches (he's only 7 wins behind Coach Guttin).
- 1073 wins at Ga Tech (27 seasons)
- 27 wins gets him to 1100 at Ga Tech. With his .659 winning % at Ga Tech, that means he'll reach 1100 sometime around Game #33 in mid April.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...State coach Paul,active coach with 1,467 wins.

Something fun to keep an eye on this year. It seems every year there is another milestone for Danny Hall. Here are some specifics:

- 1281 career wins (33 seasons) - 4th among all D1 active coaches
- When Ga Tech notches their 19th victory this season, he'll hit 1300 career wins.
- When/If Ga Tech can win 8 more games than Missouri State, CDH will move up to 3rd among active coaches (he's only 7 wins behind Coach Guttin).
- 1073 wins at Ga Tech (27 seasons)
- 27 wins gets him to 1100 at Ga Tech. With his .659 winning % at Ga Tech, that means he'll reach 1100 sometime around Game #33 in mid April.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-25-winningest-head-coaches-in-division-i-baseball/#:~:text=Now, Louisiana State coach Paul,active coach with 1,467 wins.

Fire Danny Hall! :buzz:

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Fire Danny Hall! :buzz:

Thats always been for his in-game coaching decisions. He still calls bunts in literally any scenario like it’s T9 down 1.

His recruiting has always been elite which is why it would have been scary to ditch him bad risk taking a step back there.

His recent hires and the facilities upgrades have pretty much ensured he’ll retire a Jacket. We’ve positioned ourselves to be a consistent Top 10 program moving forward.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
The rosters don't match up across the guides....

43 man roster. Who didn't make the list?

I don't see the freshman listed.....in the 3 pager but on Page 9 of the 161 page media guide....

Media guide doesn't list
  • Nate McCullum from 20
  • Jackson Arnold, Caleb Reis, Andrew Walker, Michael Sorrow, Tervont Jackson? from 19 class.
  • Jack Friedman?
Any insight?

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't see the freshman listed.....in the 3 pager but on Page 9 of the 161 page media guide....

Media guide doesn't list
  • Nate McCullum from 20
  • Jackson Arnold, Caleb Reis, Andrew Walker, Michael Sorrow, Tervont Jackson? from 19 class.
  • Jack Friedman?
Any insight?
For one reason or another none of these players are with the team. Roster is as it appears on the official site.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow

Media guide doesn't list
  • Nate McCullum from 20
  • Jack Friedman?
Any insight?
I remember Jackson Arnold in the 19/20 transfer portal but don't know where he landed.