2021 Atlanta Braves

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Ozuna is a slugger but not a good fielder, with a weak arm. With no DH, I don't see how he contributes to the team.
His bum shoulder contributes somewhat to the weaker throwing arm.
Personally, it seemed Snitker did a good job of covering that issue up by using him so much as a DH.

Many are disagreeing with me, although we have a history of over 30 guys getting one or two year contracts, during the Alex A. regime. It seems with 5 other offers, Ozuna will take one of those. I’m fairly certain he will want more security after parlaying a big time 70 game season into added years, with the CBA looming.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

Noticed the Cubs paid for Joc Pederson.
Ozuna wants 3 or 4 years. I disagree with one of those “experts,” as I think we don’t get Marcel and Duvall falls to Atlanta for let’s say 1 year-2 m.? If no one else poaches Adam. Personally, I’d rather have the former, but it isn’t my money or risk.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Based on what I've read, the Mets had offered him a deal. Not sure what the details were, but I suspect much less than $40M per year. Honestly, even 20M per year would be too rich for a pitcher with his record. I don't care what he did last year in a short season against the AL and NL Central, who had the worst offensive teams in MLB. For me, his overall record does not merit such a contract. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong and win the Dodgers another World Series Title.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Need to sign up Freeman beyond this year. The Braves only have 4 players on guaranteed contracts in 2022 for a $49M total: Ozuna $16M, Acuña $15M, Smith $13M, Albies $5M; Braves payroll sits at 126 m. for 2021.

𝟚𝟘𝟚𝟘 𝕄𝕒𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕝𝕝 𝕆𝕫𝕦𝕟𝕒:
Led NL in home runs
Led NL in RBI
Protected NL MVP in lineup
3rd in wRC+
3rd in SLG
10th in fWAR among position players

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
In other news...Texas Rangers sign Mike Foltynewicz who will earn $2MM with incentives, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal, who tweets that the deal is done pending a physical. The incentives could reach $500K, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com relays.

Also, Detroit released Travis Demerite, who the Braves traded to them in the Shane Greene deal.

Ozuna scheduled for his physical.

Atlanta’s payroll is approx. 24 m. below what it was at the start of the original 2020 season.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
....and I love that, and all of this:
  • Marcell Ozuna and Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos were all laughs today as they spoke to reporters, including the Athletic’s David O’Brien, Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post, and Gabe Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Though the two sides certainly took their time to come together on a new contract, the deal itself was actually finished over the course of a single day. The Rays had made an offer to Ozuna, but after one season in Atlanta – a year Ozuna described as the best year of his career – the slugging outfielder told his representation at CAA Sports that he wanted to hear from the Braves. The takeaway here is that clarity, communication, and a little pressure exerted from the outside go a long way to helping two sides come together.
  • The jolly atmosphere included a playful reference to the future negotiation of Freddie Freeman’s extension, tweets Janes. Anthopoulos certainly didn’t seem all that worried about potentially losing their franchise first baseman, who is a free agent after the 2021 season. For his part, Freeman doesn’t seem particularly likely to test his options elsewhere. The 31-year-old was handed the keys to the franchise from the legendary Chipper Jones, and there’s little reason to doubt his plans to stay behind the wheel in Atlanta. Coming off an MVP season and three consecutive NL East division titles, the partnership clearly works. As with Ozuna, the Braves and Freeman could be as much as a conversation away from keeping the California native on the East Coast, a sentiment the Athletic’s David O’Brien has shared for some time.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This is a few days old(gives us an idea of what is left out there):
Available bench options, in no particular order-
Dee Gordon-Derek Dietrich-Marwin Gonzales-Jed Lowrie-Nomar Mazara-Eric Sogard-Travis Shaw-Adam Duvall-Nick Markakis-Yasiel Puig- Asdrubal Cabrera-Brad Miller- Matt Joyce-Cameron Maybin-Renato Nuñez.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Adam Duvall to the Mar-leens.
He probably was the Braves backup plan to Oz-una. Follow the yellow brick road.
Duvall will earn $2MM in 2021, while there’s a mutual option for $7MM or a $3MM buyout in 2022, per Mish.