2021 ACC and Competition News

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I am Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon, or any of the top B1G teams, I think uga looks beatable as well. No one has squandered talent like the team in Athens. Lots to look forward to.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If I am Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon, or any of the top B1G teams, I think uga looks beatable as well. No one has squandered talent like the team in Athens. Lots to look forward to.
Can't stand them but it's hard to argue with their defense. Florida will be a real tell.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I’m of the opinion that the sec isn’t that good top to bottom. Georgia is a good defense, but teams Kentucky are ranked for beating teams like LSU and Florida, who don’t look great.
I think the ACC-SEC games this year look more competitive than they did preseason.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Florida will not beat uGA, neither will Tennessee, neither will we. Our only hope of them losing is maybe Alabama. Maybe. Maybe one of those Big 10 teams? I dunno but I hope I’m wrong. I also still don’t think they’ve played anyone. There certainly isn’t a 2019 LSU type team in the SEC this year (Georgia included).

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Best Friends GIF by Saturday Night Live

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Florida will not beat uGA, neither will Tennessee, neither will we. Our only hope of them losing is maybe Alabama. Maybe. Maybe one of those Big 10 teams? I dunno but I hope I’m wrong. I also still don’t think they’ve played anyone. There certainly isn’t a 2019 LSU type team in the SEC this year (Georgia included).
There’s no dominant team period this year, all the normal biggies are down this season,

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If we score period on them we’ll be lucky
If we score at all and break 200 yards we’ll be doing better than most teams on their schedule. 52-7 is pretty close to best case scenario this year. Their DL is so dominant it doesn’t really matter what anyone’s game plan is

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UGA looks like the most dominant team in the country right now. Their defense makes them almost unbeatable.
They have given up 46 points and 4 TD's the entire season (2 today). KY was the first team to score a first half TD on them all season - they've given up 3 FG's and 1 TD in the first half all year. They also became the first team since AL in 1992 to hold its first 7 opponents to 14 points or less.

If we score one TD on them it will be a win.

I think Ohio St or AL could beat them if they play a great game, but otherwise no one else is going to touch them.

In the ACC to me it feels like Pitt and NC ST are the 2 best teams right now. Wake is solid but has also had a relatively easy schedule to this point - it would be a surprise if they don't get to 8-0 at this point. Their issue is their finishing stretch is going to be tough @UNC, NC ST, @Clem, @BC. I could see them easily going 2-2 in that stretch.

VT is Clemson light. Solid defense, but poor offense.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I now feel like Virginia is a very tough hill for this GT team to climb. Their OL impressed me with their pass blocking and you *have* to get pressure on Armstrong or he will pick you apart. UNC beat them simply by out-scoring them (UVa scored 39 in that game). I know we torched UNC, but otherwise our offense hasn't looked capable of scoring over 35 against...well...anyone (except UNC).

Virginia Tech at home we have a shot at. Their offense is not so good, their defense is. I can see this one being like 24-21, with turnovers and luck deciding the outcome.

At Miami after that. I have NO clue how that one turns out. Miami has been snake-bit this season and continues to find ways to lose. But they also play even with just about everyone thus far, losing to Virginia at home only because of blowing a short FG at the end. Our primary hope is if they have given up on the season by then given that they are likely to lose their next two games (home vs N C State then @Pitt). At 2-6 (0-4 in ACC) will Miami even show up?

Then comes BC at home. I happen to think we have the greatest trouble with teams that have solid LOS play, and run the ball decently (think NIU and Duke) and BC fits that bill. Hard to say but I think we are slight underdogs and would need to win the TO battle to have a chance.

Then comes @ND and home to UGa...two solid L's.

So, it looks to me like we could finish anywhere between 3-9 and 6-6 but, hey, at least we have 3 games where we have a decent shot at W's. In recent years I did not feel that way at all. But I shudder to see what will happen next weekend at Charlottesville, and it will be important to bounce back from that one quickly both mentally and physically.

My guess is we finish 5-7. Hope I'm wrong...and we pick off all 3 possible wins to go bowling...that would be a HUGE lift for this program.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
We will be playing probably the best UGA team in a decade this year, especially if they go undefeated when they play us. Definitely not looking forward this year to that game.

But we have a chance at a few more wins hopefully, if the coaches prepare the team well