2021 ACC and Competition News

slugboy

Staff member
Syracuse is now 3-1, with a win over a well-stocked Liberty team
Duke has snuck into a 3-1 record
D’Eric King was injured, but Miami so completely thumped Central Connecticut that their analytics will look really good
UNC and Clemson got beaten. NCST is on the rise right now.
Wake is good and is 4-0.
VT beat Richmond 21-10. They seem to have one of the best defenses in the ACC, but their offense isn’t putting up numbers
Boston College is 4-0.
Pitt beat New Hampshire 77-7, but has a loss to Western Michigan that feels kind of like our NIU loss.

6AEFAE3B-355C-4502-A52A-919A3B422C2C.png

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Auburn gets gifted a catch on a long pass that clearly hit the ground and converts a 4th and 9 to take the lead on Georgia State.
Over the years, I have seen SEC teams over and over again get phantom calls late in games where a shock upset is in the making, which have turned the tide for the SEC team. Always seems to happen in their home stadiums against lesser opponents. SEC refs??

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Looking ahead and thinking about our chances in the Coastal, here are my current thoughts on our upcoming games:

Pitt has only played one P5 team, Tennessee and won that game on the road. I have some questions about how good the Vols are this year, but they play a decent 1st half at Florida yesterday before getting rolled over in the 2nd. My guess is that we should be able to run against their defense. They remind me of UNC's passing attack and we know how potent that is.

Duke has not played anyone worthy of comparing, but we should get a decent read on them at Chapel Hill next weekend. My guess is that they are about where we thought they were in the preseason. With over 1100 yards of offense this weekend, neither Duke of Kansas played defense. That said, Holmberg had over 400 yards of offense and Durant ran for 124 yards. Assuming UNC takes care of business at home, Duke will not have a huge crowd at home.

UVA has allowed almost 100 points in the last two games and defense is an alien subject in Charlottesville. But, I cannot remember many pleasant memories of that town. We know they will not try to run the ball unless they get a big lead. Hopefully we will be the one defending a big advantage on the scoreboard.

All of these games are potential wins for us if we continue to play like we have the last two games. If we win all three we will be 4-1 in the conference and 5-2 overall. The last fives games are tougher, so we need to take care of business in the coming weeks.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Be nice to @BilldGopher the next time he stops by. These things sting. Look what it did here…
Thanks Slugboy. Yep the team took it in the shorts yesterday. Complete, total team and coaching failure. Our fansites similar to The Swarm are mostly in meltdown as one would expect.

Ironically we did the exact thing to Colorado that BG did to us the week before by blanking the Buffs in Boulder.

We do have a boogyman in the current OC. Outside of the Ohio State game to start the season, our offensive calls have been so vanilla The Varsity wouldn't need to buy any vanilla for shakes for at least 20 years.

Our RB Ibrahim getting hurt in Game 1 against the Buckeyes blew up our offensive game plan for the season. Anywho, football is a game of next man up so that's it. Still trying to figure it out.

...AND BY-THE-WAY the reason for dropping by was to offer CONGRATS on a great win yourselves. Unlike my Gophers sounds like Tech had all three phases of the game clicking against North Carolina.

Good luck up next with Pitt.

We've got the Boilers in West Lafayette, which is our first B1G West contest. Have no idea what team will show up. Billd.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks Slugboy. Yep the team took it in the shorts yesterday. Complete, total team and coaching failure. Our fansites similar to The Swarm are mostly in meltdown as one would expect.

Ironically we did the exact thing to Colorado that BG did to us the week before by blanking the Buffs in Boulder.

We do have a boogyman in the current OC. Outside of the Ohio State game to start the season, our offensive calls have been so vanilla The Varsity wouldn't need to buy any vanilla for shakes for at least 20 years.

Our RB Ibrahim getting hurt in Game 1 against the Buckeyes blew up our offensive game plan for the season. Anywho, football is a game of next man up so that's it. Still trying to figure it out.

...AND BY-THE-WAY the reason for dropping by was to offer CONGRATS on a great win yourselves. Unlike my Gophers sounds like Tech had all three phases of the game clicking against North Carolina.

We've got the Boilers in West Lafayette, which is our first B1G West contest. Have no idea what team will show up. Billd.
Always great to have you on the boards here! Hopefully Minnesota starts to figure it out and turns things around!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Looking ahead and thinking about our chances in the Coastal, here are my current thoughts on our upcoming games:

Pitt has only played one P5 team, Tennessee and won that game on the road. I have some questions about how good the Vols are this year, but they play a decent 1st half at Florida yesterday before getting rolled over in the 2nd. My guess is that we should be able to run against their defense. They remind me of UNC's passing attack and we know how potent that is.

Duke has not played anyone worthy of comparing, but we should get a decent read on them at Chapel Hill next weekend. My guess is that they are about where we thought they were in the preseason. With over 1100 yards of offense this weekend, neither Duke of Kansas played defense. That said, Holmberg had over 400 yards of offense and Durant ran for 124 yards. Assuming UNC takes care of business at home, Duke will not have a huge crowd at home.

UVA has allowed almost 100 points in the last two games and defense is an alien subject in Charlottesville. But, I cannot remember many pleasant memories of that town. We know they will not try to run the ball unless they get a big lead. Hopefully we will be the one defending a big advantage on the scoreboard.

All of these games are potential wins for us if we continue to play like we have the last two games. If we win all three we will be 4-1 in the conference and 5-2 overall. The last fives games are tougher, so we need to take care of business in the coming weeks.
What about Duh U?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson has the potential to have a Kentucky 2020 basketball type of season.

Their offense is just plain bad. Against FBS teams they are avg 226 ypg, take out overtime yardage and it is 215 ypg. They don't run well and they don't pass well. DJ has the second lowest QBR of any starting QB in the ACC. Shipley - who was solid, got injured against State and may be gone for the year. Their defense was carrying them but injuries may really start to derail that - they lost DT Davis last week and then this week they lost DT Bresee and LB Skalski. They said Davis would be out for 7-8 weeks and fans are worried Shipley and Bresee are gone for the year.

Wake and BC both look just like solid teams. Wake hasn't been challenged yet but Clawson is a good coach and his 'get old, stay old' philosophy for Wake is a good one. I thought BC would drop off alot after they lost their QB, but they are such a good running team it has been fine so far. Both are teams that won't beat themselves very often.

slugboy

Staff member

I’ve never really thought about it until now, but I’m not sure if the Varsity has “actual” vanilla, or what’s really in the FO’s there. (If you care what you’re putting in your body, you’re not getting a plate of chili dogs and onion rings there—it ain’t health food or white tablecloth dining)

Thanks for the congrats—this feels much better than last week, and we weren’t bad last week :D

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve never really thought about it until now, but I’m not sure if the Varsity has “actual” vanilla, or what’s really in the FO’s there. (If you care what you’re putting in your body, you’re not getting a plate of chili dogs and onion rings there—it ain’t health food or white tablecloth dining)

Thanks for the congrats—this feels much better than last week, and we weren’t bad last week :D
Never light a match near the rings...

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It could be almost anyone in the ACCCG. Wake Forest or BC May be the only hope for a playoff appearance. But there are not near as many great teams as usual.