2021 - 2022 team

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No to a new contract or extension for Pastner, just let it play out. We could take a step back next year

That wouldn't make sense. We were almost always going to have a step back season due to the roster situation we had likely leading to issue we are seeing now in preparation for next year. Unless it's a complete dumpster fire year we won't fire Pastner next year and you aren't going to let a coach walk into his last contract year. So we would be giving him an extension or raise anyways but at a worse time.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If we don't get either holdoverS (2) or big transfers ,next yr will be a HUGE drop in record.Giving JP a big bump is crazy.Maybe a carrot somehow.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
GT is not in position to give CJP a "big bump" regardless of what happens in the NCAAs. I doubt after taking 5 years to get to the NCAAs (hopefully) that anyone else is going to come knocking on his door with a big bump. On the other side, short of some fancy fundraising by TSTAN, GT is also not in position to go and significantly upgrade the coaching position until its financial position improves.

Best bet is a short term type of extension that kicks the can regarding any major commitment on either side.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am getting the impression based on the way the players themselves are acting that none of the seniors will be back next year. I think this may be especially true with a trip to the NCAA's and possible post-season accolades for guys like Wright.

Outlook for this year is brighter than I thought. (Although I still think we are solid, very good but not great. I don't expect a deep tourney run, personally.)

Outlook for next year is dimming considerably simply because we will be far less experienced.

But, the silver lining for me is that maybe this trip to the NCAA's makes us relevant again in recruiting. Maybe the uptick is finally happening. The player development has been impressive, and the program is winning again, and maybe higher rated recruits will decide it's time to pitch in on The Flats.

One can hope.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
For tournament play we need to improve in a few areas in tight games like last night against Duke.
1. We missed crucial free throws late that could have iced the game. Got to be better to win in close games.
2. Better in bound plays and handling full court pressure. We have struggled with this more than once. I would have thought Hewitt was back at HC.
3. Why in the world would we allow a team to roll the ball almost the length of the court and take an open 3 with maybe 2 seconds off the clock. Put a guy at the head of the circle to force the dribble. I literally was screaming at the tv to put someone back there. That folks is coaching lack of detail. Where were our assistants. They should be helping with those things.

Duke actually executed better in OT but missed shots. Our guys just really really wanted it. Pure effort. Moses was awesome last night. He should be all ACC first team.
Usher was terrific as well. He has been an unsung hero IMO with his play. He does so many things well. He has been a huge part of the success of this team. Moore has really been improving throughout the year as well. We have a solid starting five.