2021 - 2022 team

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Exciting times right now for tech but one can’t help but look ahead to next year & hoping we’ll be coming off our first tourney trip in a long time & getting attention of big recruits , but honestly who all do you guys think will be coming back from this years team ? I know players get an extra year because of covid right ?

gt6776c

Georgia Tech Fan
Exciting times right now for tech but one can’t help but look ahead to next year & hoping we’ll be coming off our first tourney trip in a long time & getting attention of big recruits , but honestly who all do you guys think will be coming back from this years team ? I know players get an extra year because of covid right ?
In a dream world they would all come back.

I think in terms of production this year, the wish list in terms of priority to come back would be:

1a) Moses
1b) Jose
2) Usher
3) Bubba

We don’t have a war tested 5 like Moses and Jose is clutch. Usher has really settled into his role the 2nd half of this year. Bubba brings great energy, good ball skills and a nice 3 ball.

I guess the big question is can we get them into the MBA program as the Hill has been our Achilles?

gt6776c

Georgia Tech Fan
Which ones you think are a definite to not come back ?
Most assume that since Alvarado is a father that he may want to go pro and try to make the league or go overseas. Moses is interesting. I don’t know if he has the 3 ball that a modern NBA 4 needs. But he literally could be POTY in the ACC. No idea with Usher. I know Sturdivant got some PT this year so not sure where that leaves Bubba.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Most assume that since Alvarado is a father that he may want to go pro and try to make the league or go overseas. Moses is interesting. I don’t know if he has the 3 ball that a modern NBA 4 needs. But he literally could be POTY in the ACC. No idea with Usher. I know Sturdivant got some PT this year so not sure where that leaves Bubba.
Of all of them, I think Usher has the best case for improving his pro prospects by coming back. If he continues to improve his game like he did this season, he could play himself into a draft spot

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Usher and Jose tweeted last one in Mccamish so sounds like they might be moving on.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Hell Yeah Yes GIF

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Bigger question is does Pastner get a new contract. If Usher Devoe Wright Parham and Alverado all go, it will be a total rebuild next year. Pastner would be smart to leverage this year because it could be tough next year. It's very tough to win in the ACC with a new point guard and about 3/4 of your points have to be replaced.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bigger question is does Pastner get a new contract. If Usher Devoe Wright Parham and Alverado all go, it will be a total rebuild next year. Pastner would be smart to leverage this year because it could be tough next year. It's very tough to win in the ACC with a new point guard and about 3/4 of your points have to be replaced.

If we go by recruiting rankings, next year's team will be the most talented team Pastner has had at GT with five 4 star players:

Devoe - 4 Star
Sturdivant - 4 Star
Saba - 4 Star
Coleman - 4 Star
Kelly - 4 Star

The caveat is Coleman and Kelly will be freshmen, Saba has played limited minutes this season, and Sturdivant hasn't had to run the show yet. If Usher decides to return, that's potentially SIX 4 star guys on the roster. Maxwell was NC player of the year.

Howard looks like he has the ability to contribute next season, and he'll get that "Reveno bump" we usually see in our post player development.

I think Moore will make the same jump Usher made this season. Very similar length and athleticism...though Usher seems to be more filled out. Moore has shown he can defend multiple positions, and he has a good outside shot when he takes them. I think Pastner will give him more freedom next season, as he appears to defer a lot to his teammates this year.

If both Alvarado and Usher leave, there will be a bit of an emotional vacuum to fill. I think Sturdivant will fill some of that void, as you can see glimpses of it when he's in. I think Devoe is a lot like Marcus Georges Hunt...not very vocal or emotional our emotionally loud when trying to get teammated to go.

There will definitely be a LOT of talent next season, it will be just a matter of how fast the freshmen acclimate to the college game and our system, and how much Howard and Saba develop during the offseason.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I believe his contract expires after 22-23. Lets say we beat Duke, Beat Wake, win the 1 game in the ACCT and lose in the opening round of the NCAAT.

If that happens Pastner would have accomplished almost everything that we could have reasonably asked for in the first 5 years from when he was hired. First NCAAT in a decade, first back to back winning conference records in a decade. Has shown the ability to develop talent, good coaching on the defensive side especially and signs of that on the offensive side, and recruiting trending up. By no means perfect and could have been better but to me all signs shows him having us on the right track.

I see no way he doesn't get a new contract. Not a break the bank contract by any means, but one that makes it clear that we're committing to giving him a chance to show continued growth for the program overall even if next year is a step back due to departures and inexperience.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe his contract expires after 22-23. Lets say we beat Duke, Beat Wake, win the 1 game in the ACCT and lose in the opening round of the NCAAT.

If that happens Pastner would have accomplished almost everything that we could have reasonably asked for in the first 5 years from when he was hired. First NCAAT in a decade, first back to back winning conference records in a decade. Has shown the ability to develop talent, good coaching on the defensive side especially and signs of that on the offensive side, and recruiting trending up. By no means perfect and could have been better but to me all signs shows him having us on the right track.

I see no way he doesn't get a new contract. Not a break the bank contract by any means, but one that makes it clear that we're committing to giving him a chance to show continued growth for the program overall even if next year is a step back due to departures and inexperience.
agree with all of this except... there is NFW we are losing the first weekend of the NCAAT. This team has Sweet 16 written all over it (so long as the committee is not blind).

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
All 4 are coming back and we are winning a Natty in April '22.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
agree with all of this except... there is NFW we are losing the first weekend of the NCAAT. This team has Sweet 16 written all over it (so long as the committee is not blind).

I was just putting that out there as basically nothing super drastic happens either way. So assuming we make the NCAAT but don't do anything that would really drive up the price.