2021 - 2022 GT Basketball Schedule

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. They did indeed crap out in the tournament, so you're right. I shudder to be compared to an SEC football fan.

That being said, as a multi-decade fan of the league, last year was unusual for how far down in the standings you could go to find truly competitive teams. It won't soon be like that again.
Full disclosure. I live in Chicago and have mad respect for what Whisky has done in basketball. Friend of the former NU AD and new ACC Commish, so I had many meaningful conversations about B1G basketball with people in the know. I hate when conferences get preferential treatment for sports, whether it is B1G, ACC, or old Big East in basketball or SEC in football. Last year B1G was a good conference, but we'll never know how good because the limited ooc play was early and late. They did well early and "not so well" later.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow

overview of LSU from Rothstein's current pre-season rankings...

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 11.27.47 AM.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Until Darius Days announced he was coming back to LSU, I would have considered this game a pretty certain win. Days will be a handful for our inexperienced bigs. I believe he will be the only starter returning, but he is really good.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Until Darius Days announced he was coming back to LSU, I would have considered this game a pretty certain win. Days will be a handful for our inexperienced bigs. I believe he will be the only starter returning, but he is really good.

He's a good piece for them to get back. But I think we'll mostly see him vs Usher in a matchup of two guys trying to step up beyond the roles they played last year.

Efton Reid, a freshman, will almost certainly be the 5 for them most of the time and could certainly pose a problem. It's always a bit of a toss up on how highly thought of bigs will transition to the college game (or rather how quickly they will adjust). Last year Mobley was a beast for USC but after him the other centers showed flashes of great play, and some developed over the course of the season nicely but they weren't the real forces down low you would expect. We faced several last year between kentucky, duke, and UNC, and it wasn't really until Mark Williams the second time we played Duke that one really stood out. Of course we had Moses, but as good as Moses was he was still effectively a PF who had to play with foul trouble in mind.

Back court will be interesting. I think Devoe is the best player on either team in the back court, and it looks like they will lean a good bit on transfers in that regard to help them. I think the main story of that game will be which team has their pieces step into their roles quicker. For us that would be Sturdvant/Smith at the Point, Coleman at the 3, and our bigs at the 5. For them it looks like most of their back court as well as their 5 spot. IMO both teams look to have decent to good answers at each spot but its a matter how quickly they can get things straightened out. I would have given us an edge before Days came back, not anywhere near a certain win though. With him back I think the game is pretty much a toss up.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He's a good piece for them to get back. But I think we'll mostly see him vs Usher in a matchup of two guys trying to step up beyond the roles they played last year.

Efton Reid, a freshman, will almost certainly be the 5 for them most of the time and could certainly pose a problem. It's always a bit of a toss up on how highly thought of bigs will transition to the college game (or rather how quickly they will adjust). Last year Mobley was a beast for USC but after him the other centers showed flashes of great play, and some developed over the course of the season nicely but they weren't the real forces down low you would expect. We faced several last year between kentucky, duke, and UNC, and it wasn't really until Mark Williams the second time we played Duke that one really stood out. Of course we had Moses, but as good as Moses was he was still effectively a PF who had to play with foul trouble in mind.

Back court will be interesting. I think Devoe is the best player on either team in the back court, and it looks like they will lean a good bit on transfers in that regard to help them. I think the main story of that game will be which team has their pieces step into their roles quicker. For us that would be Sturdvant/Smith at the Point, Coleman at the 3, and our bigs at the 5. For them it looks like most of their back court as well as their 5 spot. IMO both teams look to have decent to good answers at each spot but its a matter how quickly they can get things straightened out. I would have given us an edge before Days came back, not anywhere near a certain win though. With him back I think the game is pretty much a toss up.
Nice post.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As a WI native i'm looking forward to that game.

WI is going to be a really different team than it has been the last couple of years in terms of personnel.

I'd expect a lineup along the lines of

Guard 1 - Jr Jahcobi Neath (played his first 2 years at Wake under Manning) or FR Chucky Hepburn or Fr Lorne Bowman

Guard 2 - 18th yr Senior Brad Davison

Guard 3 - So. Jonathan Davis (made the U19 team that Deivon Smith made the final 17)

Forward - Jr. Tyler Wahl

Center - R-Sr. Chris Vogt (transfer from Cincy) or Fr. Ben Carlson

Davison is a multi-year starter. Wahl started most of the games last year, though surprisingly for a WI big, he is not a good shooter from any distance - 2 pt, 3 pt or FT.
Davis had a solid FR yr as their 6th man. He is expected to take a big step forward as a So. Those are the 3 rotation guys coming back.

Neath sat out last season. Was mediocre at Wake, but maybe he will do better at WI. Hepburn is their highest ranked incoming recruit. Bowman was a 4 star recruit in the class of 2020 but didn't play last year returning to Michigan to deal with family issues. Who knows how rusty he will be. I think he is still in MI.
Vogt started his career at N. Knetucky then transferred to Cincy for his last 2 years. Had a very good Jr yr, but not a good year last year.
Carson is another 4 star player who only played in a handful of games before being injured.

There is some talent on their young team, how quickly can it mature. I expect Vogt was brought in hoping he could take some min while they wait on their young bigs to develop.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Wait. Is the UGA game on November 19th?? That’s the day before the ND football game in South Bend. I’m staying that night in SB. Might have to watch the hoops game with some of you.