2021 - 2022 GT Basketball Schedule

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just thought I'd create a thread to generate some discussion on the schedule for next season.

Coach Pastner recently told me that we're not traveling to a holiday tournament this season. We're going to Phoenix in December to play USC, but that's it.

He mentioned that the home opener is likely Nov. 9th, and they're also targeting home games on Nov. 12 and Nov. 15. Not sure of opponents just yet.

Have any other non-conference games been announced?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Just thought I'd create a thread to generate some discussion on the schedule for next season.

Coach Pastner recently told me that we're not traveling to a holiday tournament this season. We're going to Phoenix in December to play USC, but that's it.

He mentioned that the home opener is likely Nov. 9th, and they're also targeting home games on Nov. 12 and Nov. 15. Not sure of opponents just yet.

Have any other non-conference games been announced?

Weirdo Tom Crean gonna duck us again?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Love this thread. Happy to hear that things are shaping up for the schedule. I can not wait to see what the roster looks like and then start talking about potential changes to our scheme and line ups.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
We should be going to UGA .. Big 10 team in Atlanta ... and the GA State and UAB series (which Pastner has said they would play) - both of them likely home games (GA State for sure .... UAB - TBD if we go there next season or third year of the series).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Connell62 reported it a few days ago somewhere

Can't remember if we already have a schedule thread

ETA - we do have a thread that @Connell62 started.

Mods please merge at your convenience. Thanks.

Sturdivant and Usher versus their old team should be an interesting angle. Usher is a vastly different (and improved) player from when he left, and Sturdivant will most likely be our lead guard.

Gonzaga will be filthy good.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wisconsin is a legit team but they lose a lot from last years team. I believe they lose 4 of their top 5 and 6 of the 8. Looking at a couple of way early looks at them next year and I could see us having an edge at 3 of the 5 positions (the one I'd give to edge to them would be the 3 spot with Jonathan Davis and even then it wouldn't surprise me if Coleman was better) and the 5 a toss up. Especially at home I feel like we should feel good about winning that game.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Sturdivant and Usher versus their old team should be an interesting angle. Usher is a vastly different (and improved) player from when he left, and Sturdivant will most likely be our lead guard.

Gonzaga will be filthy good.
Is the Jerry Colangelo Classic a tournament or does each team play just one game?

Formerlybis

Georgia Tech Fan
Wisconsin is a legit team but they lose a lot from last years team. I believe they lose 4 of their top 5 and 6 of the 8. Looking at a couple of way early looks at them next year and I could see us having an edge at 3 of the 5 positions (the one I'd give to edge to them would be the 3 spot with Jonathan Davis and even then it wouldn't surprise me if Coleman was better) and the 5 a toss up. Especially at home I feel like we should feel good about winning that game.
Badger fan here. I'm impressed that you basically nailed our situation. We actually have 3 rotation players back out of the 8 from last year, with one of those who will now be a 5-year starter (the infamous Brad Davison). We brought in a transfer PG from Wake Forest (Neath), which brings a needed veteran presence, but there's some hope/expectation that an incoming freshman will win that starting role.

Basically, this isn't a team with high expectations compared to most years. The B1G was super-tough last year almost top to bottom. The top of the league will still be good this year, but the middle should take a step back and the bottom could be as bad as I can remember. Wisconsin should be solidly in that middle tier, but is largely an unknown because of the turnover.

Looking forward to playing GT! I would favor you, too.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Basically, this isn't a team with high expectations compared to most years. The B1G was super-tough last year almost top to bottom. The top of the league will still be good this year, but the middle should take a step back and the bottom could be as bad as I can remember. Wisconsin should be solidly in that middle tier, but is largely an unknown because of the turnover.

Don't bring that crap in here. The B1G was average last year and was shown to be so in the NCAA tournament. When all you do is play yourselves and everyone starts highly ranked, it's hard to be brought down to where you belong. That's equivalent to all the SEC football chest thumping.

Formerlybis

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't bring that crap in here. The B1G was average last year and was shown to be so in the NCAA tournament. When all you do is play yourselves and everyone starts highly ranked, it's hard to be brought down to where you belong. That's equivalent to all the SEC football chest thumping.
Sorry. They did indeed crap out in the tournament, so you're right. I shudder to be compared to an SEC football fan.

That being said, as a multi-decade fan of the league, last year was unusual for how far down in the standings you could go to find truly competitive teams. It won't soon be like that again.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Badger fan here. I'm impressed that you basically nailed our situation. We actually have 3 rotation players back out of the 8 from last year, with one of those who will now be a 5-year starter (the infamous Brad Davison)

Yeah, I had the 6 in 8 in mind because the first article I read seemed to indicate he was gone and then I forgot to correct when I later saw he returned. It'll be interesting to see how Neath does. I think Wake fans were pretty high on him after his freshman year but he had a sophomore slump.

I remember Wisconsin had a real good season going before covid hit two years ago and seemed to fall a bit flat last year, although not terrible. After the recent recordings that came out maybe a big turnover of the roster could actually be a good thing. Still, as young as they are I would expect issues at the beginning of the year. Ideally y'all find your stride right after our game lol.

slugboy

Staff member
Badger fan here. I'm impressed that you basically nailed our situation. We actually have 3 rotation players back out of the 8 from last year, with one of those who will now be a 5-year starter (the infamous Brad Davison). We brought in a transfer PG from Wake Forest (Neath), which brings a needed veteran presence, but there's some hope/expectation that an incoming freshman will win that starting role.

I find it hard to believe that a joint ACC-B1G scheduling committee would give us (GT) a game we’d be favored in, especially knowing how our conference has worked in the past ;)
We have a new commish, though!
Eeyore GIF by memecandy

Formerlybis

Georgia Tech Fan
I remember Wisconsin had a real good season going before covid hit two years ago and seemed to fall a bit flat last year, although not terrible. After the recent recordings that came out maybe a big turnover of the roster could actually be a good thing. Still, as young as they are I would expect issues at the beginning of the year. Ideally y'all find your stride right after our game lol.
This is your scheduling thread, so sorry for the sidetrack here.

There's a string of events that started with a terrible car accident that led to the "recent recordings". 1. Howard Moore, an assistant coach, was in an accident that killed his wife and daughter and left him incapacitated. The 19-20 season was dedicated to him. 2. Alando Tucker - easily one of UW's all-time best players - was in town and agreed to step in to help out until Moore could return. This was Tucker's first coaching job. 3. Moore's health isn't going to get better, so Tucker stays on for the 20-21 season, and a permanent replacement is needed. 4. And here's where the conjecture starts. We know for sure that Tucker applied for the job and was passed over in May. There is strong suspicion that he was the one who recorded the players meeting and leaked it to the press due to his disgruntlement (there were then retroactive rumors shared that he wanted Gard fired and to be named head coach, which is delusional).

Now, the content of the recording suggests there may be an issue with the coach's people skills. The loss of Moore hurt there, too, as this was his specialty.

Anyway, many, many Badger fans are glad to have some new players.