2020 Offseason Thread

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
CBS Sports says Virginia Tech should be favored to win the ACC Coastal Division in 2020:rolleyes: I think with North Carolina's great recruiting they will start a period of dominance in the ACC Coastal Division and Virginia Tech's terrible recruiting will kill them in the long run.:cigar:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...oastal-crown-in-2020-college-football-season/

Just another article written by a lazy sports writer. Hard to imagine Georgia Tech taking a step forward? That one statement makes it clear that he knows nothing about our roster or our program.
I agree with your point that VT's recruiting (and transfers) may see them taking a step back. The Coastal is as wide open as ever. I'd give us a solid shot except that we start with a guaranteed loss to our cross division permanent opponent. UVa has to play them too.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Just another article written by a lazy sports writer. Hard to imagine Georgia Tech taking a step forward? That one statement makes it clear that he knows nothing about our roster or our program.
I agree with your point that VT's recruiting (and transfers) may see them taking a step back. The Coastal is as wide open as ever. I'd give us a solid shot except that we start with a guaranteed loss to our cross division permanent opponent. UVa has to play them too.

I’ll be curious to see how VT fairs this year to see if last year was an anomaly or a trend. VT had good classes from 2017-2019.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow

Collins is creating a plan to help his players navigate the approaching changes to the NCAA's rules around money-making opportunities. While he won't get into the weeds of what may or may not happen regarding the NCAA's name, image, and likeness legislation, he is working to make sure his players are prepared when it happens. It starts with brand-building - and Collins and Georgia Tech have been among the most proactive schools when it comes to teaching their players about it.

"Everything that we try to set up is just to make sure they have unbelievable success in life after being in our program," Collins said. "A lot of them come in here and obviously, it's to win a ton of games, win championships, go to the NFL, have a long, storied career in the NFL, and we want to help position them to be able to do that. And then also (there's) life after football. The stronger the brand, the more access you're going to have and the more success you're going to be able to afford your family once your playing career is done, or even throughout your playing career."
An individual's NIL value is contingent on a number of factors, but the education, technology, and platform that a school can offer to enhance that value will be hugely influential on the recruiting trail.

Georgia Tech is among the programs with a head start. In April, it announced it would partner with J1S, a creative agency based in Dallas that spearheaded Oklahoma's "Dare to Be Different" signing-day campaign last December. The athletic department plans to launch a "For The 404" campaign to strengthen its connection to the city of Atlanta, where its campus is located.

The Yellow Jackets are also among a number of programs that have hired marketing and brand consultant Jeremy Darlow. A former director of marketing for Adidas football and baseball, Darlow developed an online course to teach college athletes how to build a personal brand. Multiple schools, including West Virginia and Pittsburgh, have announced similar partnerships.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
In regards to VT, this is a must year. Their 2019 recruiting ranked last in the Power Five. So, they got a prized four star QB recruit from Texas and several other promising Texas kids for 2021. Unfortunately, the QB recruit left last month and the VT podcasts see their whole Texas to VT strategy falling apart. Apparently much of the VT coaching staff have great connections in Texas, but not so much everywhere else (including the Tidewater 757 area). These VT analysts see their future absolutely falling apart and are not shy about sounding the alarm. Losing the QB recruit is being seen as a disaster for the program.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Those Camp brothers (AND Father) are not to be messed with.

They grow 'em strong in that family.

That looks like a serious knee brace. I’m no expert but I assume he recently had knee surgery, which means he won’t be playing this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Title for the mutts.jpg

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
>CGC at 12
>it's a rehash of an older P5- link to full P5 rankings is just above the ACC rankings
ACC coach rankings 2020: Clemson's on-field dominance keeps Dabo Swinney well above the field
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ance-keeps-dabo-swinney-well-above-the-field/

Thought their comments about CGC were favorable and fair given his body of work to date.

As an aside, we had a regular poster here who was also a big Uva fan.I am thinking he posted under the name ilovetheoption iirc. He was not a big fan of Bronco. Wonder if he reconsidered his position and/or agrees with the #3 ranking?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it's pretty hard to argue when the primary thing that they use to rank is proven success on the field. Last year was a mulligan from the beginning, but with only 2 solid but unremarkable years as HC at Temple to add to it, we really couldn't expect different. But obviously they recognize the reason for optimism and indicate that one good year (which might even be a bowl bid) will significantly change rankings. Personally, I look at that list and don't think I would take another coach ahead of CGC here, even Dabo.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We all know that right now today Collins is an unknown commodity as a head coach. But so far in every category outside wins/losses he has been a success so the pattern is that he will be a success. He’s the type of guy GT needed right now. If we would have brought in another older retread he would have quickly been dumped on by the fans because no way was any coach going to be an equal to Johnson out of the shoot. Collins has played this perfectly in my opinion, as has TStan. The old saying is you never want to be the first guy replacing a legend type coach. And for GT, Johnson was that kind of coach until he got old fast. Collins knows this. So he is letting the fan base feel the pain of a couple of tough seasons so when we get to the 6-8 win range everyone will be a little happier. Then between the constant drumbeat of recruiting and additional wins we’ll be back to the O’Leary years with legit QB play and a big strong team. I’m not saying he’s losing on purpose but I’m also saying he didn’t lose any sleep about last season nor will he about this upcoming season. The players know what’s up which is why coming off a 3 win season the recruiting is still hot.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We all know that right now today Collins is an unknown commodity as a head coach. But so far in every category outside wins/losses he has been a success so the pattern is that he will be a success. He’s the type of guy GT needed right now. If we would have brought in another older retread he would have quickly been dumped on by the fans because no way was any coach going to be an equal to Johnson out of the shoot. Collins has played this perfectly in my opinion, as has TStan. The old saying is you never want to be the first guy replacing a legend type coach. And for GT, Johnson was that kind of coach until he got old fast. Collins knows this. So he is letting the fan base feel the pain of a couple of tough seasons so when we get to the 6-8 win range everyone will be a little happier. Then between the constant drumbeat of recruiting and additional wins we’ll be back to the O’Leary years with legit QB play and a big strong team. I’m not saying he’s losing on purpose but I’m also saying he didn’t lose any sleep about last season nor will he about this upcoming season. The players know what’s up which is why coming off a 3 win season the recruiting is still hot.
Sorry if you only win 3 games you should lose some sleep. I don't think losing is something he wants to make us feel better in a couple of years . No coach wants to lose .

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Names to look forward to being added to this list after the season: Tariq Carpenter, Devin Cochran, Ahmarean Brown, Marquez Ezzard, Antonneus Clayton, and 1 out of the 4 of Jeff Sims, Tucker Gleason, Jamious Griffin, and Jahmyr Gibbs.