2020 Offseason Thread

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
So what tweet is now unavailable?

Khatavian Franks posted a message on Instagram saying that he was recovering from surgery along with a picture of him in the hospital. Said he was in a lot of pain. It didnt sound good at all.

Now the posts are all gone.

Milwaukee

Banned
Khatavian Franks posted a message on Instagram saying that he was recovering from surgery along with a picture of him in the hospital. Said he was in a lot of pain. It didnt sound good at all.

Now the posts are all gone.

He posted a couple days ago “Life sucks” as well. That’s why I was worried after seeing this additional statement. Hopefully he’s just upset that he can’t play with his teammates right away and it’s nothing deeper than that. We all love ya Khat and I know the squad does!

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Odd situation. TLDR version is it looks like KQ’s rivals sidekick clipped KF’s Instagram story and posted it on twitter. Sounds like some kind of medical condition was causing him great pain.

I hope Franks recovers quickly and the setback is minor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am calling UNC to beat Clemson but not make the playoffs. Clemson will have the one loss and Ohio State their way into the playoffs in the fourth spot. Miami and Pitt tie for second in the Coastal. GT going 6-6 would be great. Going 7-5 outstanding. Going 8-4 unbelievable! I made a similar call on a one loss Alabama making it in despite not winning the SEC in 2017. I don't know about the rest of the Board , but I am getting sick of hearing the Dawgs media advocating pulling the plug with GT.

A lot of people are saying UNC is the team to beat for the Coastal but it is the Coastal we are talking about here as in "Coastal Chaos". FanSided predicts UNC to go 10-2 and win the Coastal for what it is worth. They will be missing two linemen who were drafted to the NFL one on offense and one on defense and a pretty good safety and that is about it. Why would the "Dawgs media advocate pulling the plug with GT"? It has become almost a sure win for them against a power 5 team.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You are right. The first 5 games will (could) determine how the season goes. Anything less than 2-3 is gonna make for another long season. I think we have the talent to go 6-6 at least. We just have to stay healthy on both lines. Everyone talks about bad/inconsistent QB play but a guy like Trevor Lawrence would’ve looked bad last year behind that Oline.
I’m still going with wins over GW, UCF, Duke, Syracuse, UVA and Miami.

UCF may well determine the fate of the Jackets this season. Fan Sided seems to think they will be one the very best G-5 teams (Is that what it is called now?). They are returning just about everyone also. It will be really tough for Tech to beat them. They are much sounder than USF. I am concerned about a 1-4 start having repercussions on the morale of a young team. It is possible this will happen but we might upset UNC and Miami. We will see. Nothing will go to script this year. We may not even play all the games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If we are 1-4 after UCF then I expect to see a significant amount of action for those that are ATL especially at QB. 2020 could become an extension of last year's revolving door. They will be looking for who can make plays. I actually think we are building depth, keeping players engaged, and motivated with his system. Can he build a consistent and highly competitive team with his system remains to be seen or are we moving to one big year in year 3 or 4.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
To answer your question, yes. Collins is building for the long term not for the 2020 season. We will see just about everyone on the roster get playing time especially at QB, OLine, WR, and the entire defense. RB we have 3 young horses who will rotate. The others better become familiar with the portal especially with others being recruited in the next few classes. If we actually have a 2020 season then 2021 becomes our coming out year.

I expect for the 2021 we’ll finally know which 2 of the 4 QB’s will be kept around. Then we bring in the guy from Cali. At RB we are set for 2021 and 2022. At WR, I believe we’ll be stacked like the old days. We may not have a Calvin but we’ll have 4-5 high end college WR’s that are fast and dependable like those old Florida and FSU teams or GT with Rodriguez and Merchant types. On defense I think we’ll be one of the top 4 in the ACC. Collins is bringing in size and speed. Our defense made huge strides in year zero so by 2021 we’ll be tough. I know many may laugh at this next comment, but we gotta find a dependable kicker. By 2021 we are going to be in every game and kickers often have a huge role in 3-4 games each year. We can’t continue to lose the field position battle in kick offs and leave points off the board. Think of the past and what kickers have meant to GT football. We gotta find one or we’ll fall short of many goals.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
To answer your question, yes. Collins is building for the long term not for the 2020 season. We will see just about everyone on the roster get playing time especially at QB, OLine, WR, and the entire defense. RB we have 3 young horses who will rotate. The others better become familiar with the portal especially with others being recruited in the next few classes. If we actually have a 2020 season then 2021 becomes our coming out year.

I expect for the 2021 we’ll finally know which 2 of the 4 QB’s will be kept around. Then we bring in the guy from Cali. At RB we are set for 2021 and 2022. At WR, I believe we’ll be stacked like the old days. We may not have a Calvin but we’ll have 4-5 high end college WR’s that are fast and dependable like those old Florida and FSU teams or GT with Rodriguez and Merchant types. On defense I think we’ll be one of the top 4 in the ACC. Collins is bringing in size and speed. Our defense made huge strides in year zero so by 2021 we’ll be tough. I know many may laugh at this next comment, but we gotta find a dependable kicker. By 2021 we are going to be in every game and kickers often have a huge role in 3-4 games each year. We can’t continue to lose the field position battle in kick offs and leave points off the board. Think of the past and what kickers have meant to GT football. We gotta find one or we’ll fall short of many goals.

I'm excited for the WR look going forward. One of my main gripes with the last era was the tendency to be 1 guy and then nothing else. I miss the days where Will Glover burnt ya. Then Freddie Smith burnt ya. Then a third guy got ya. I think we will have a deep crop of options going forward and that's exciting.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited for the WR look going forward. One of my main gripes with the last era was the tendency to be 1 guy and then nothing else. I miss the days where Will Glover burnt ya. Then Freddie Smith burnt ya. Then a third guy got ya. I think we will have a deep crop of options going forward and that's exciting.

I don’t think those guys you named are any more talented than what we have right now. I think that our OL could pass block better and we had better QB play then.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think those guys you named are any more talented than what we have right now. I think that our OL could pass block better and we had better QB play then.

That's a fair point. I guess I just feel like most of our WR's 2-5 were mostly blockers/decoys for years outside of a Waller and Brad Stewart.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This will be their second season in a new offense so they should be able to play faster and with more confidence. I think with an improved offensive line and qb play we will see what the returning guys have to offer.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
That's a fair point. I guess I just feel like most of our WR's 2-5 were mostly blockers/decoys for years outside of a Waller and Brad Stewart.
I agree we typically maintained one good receiver like bebe, hill, smelter, but we weren’t deep. My perception may be more due to the offense than the talent level though.

I do think we will be deeper at that position than we have been for a while. I know when I was in school it was nice lining up kelly Campbell, Kerry Watkins, and Jonathan Smith at the same time.